Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

@Leesureone Sorry that I did'nt describe it clearly. I have no problem on my HackMac with audio and I don't think it has something to do with the kernelpanic. I know this part of the OpenCore Vanilla Desktop guide.
I just found some inconsistency
I mean, I have the same Mainboard as @ModMike and so the audio device should be the same. In fact it is the same as in his Opencore EFI config.plist :
<key>DeviceProperties</key>
<dict>
<key>Add</key>
<dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x3)</key>
<dict>
<key>AAPL,slot-name</key>
<string>Internal@0,31,3</string>
<key>device_type</key>
<string>Audio device</string>

but in the same config.plist:
<key>UEFI</key>
<dict>
<key>Audio</key>
<dict>
<key>AudioCodec</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>AudioDevice</key>
<string>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1b,0x0)</string>

Of course everyone should set this for his own device, but someone like me with the same board could just use the orginal config.plist and just replace the PlatformInfo. ( I did this too, when I started with this OC EFI. Audio was working nonetheless. Don't know if that may cause any other problems)
Gotcha, in my config.plist I left the UEFI Audio PCI Device info blank. I don't care about having the boot chime but I can verify that ModMike's doesn't cause any issues at least this thread seems to be aware of..

Those Dan cases are exceptional, just difficult to get in the states and expensive.

Thank you @Leesureone for looking in my Logs.
I am just now up again after several kernel panics.
I tried to import another Mail export to my mail app. The first I tried had 4.5 GB. And got a kernel panic again after 5 minutes importing. Then I tried to import a smaller Mail export of 600 MB. it was crashing too. Everytime after such a kernel panic, if I reboot, when I reach the logon screen and logon it normally crashes again. Only after several attempts and turning off my HackMac for some time I can do a successful logon.
I even got a kernel panic when I tried to mark all mail as unread in one of the imported Mailfolders.
Maybe its a thermal problem of the Samsung NVMe?
I will try to copy some files using the finder and see if they produce a kernel panic too.

I have no idea what the kernel backtrace means.
I googled for "com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily kernel panic" and found this
Is it possible that my several crashes during the Catalina Setup resulted in a damaged file system?
Should I try to recover that?

I have the same BIOS settings as decribed here in the BIOS Settings on the first page. I will check again now, but I think they are not the reason.
The audio quetion is another thing so I will answer in a seperate post.
There were a few things listed in the backtrace, com.apple.kec.corecrypto, com.apple.driver.AppleEffaceableStorage and com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily but I don't know the significance of that information. I read the posting in the link and the original user fixed his issue by replacing his Apple Cinema Display...don't see that being significant here.

Have you tried his Clover based EFI folder, do you get the same behavior? If you do I would probably check that the NVME drive is seated correctly, same with the RAM although neither thing probably has anything to do with your error, and do a clean install using one of his EFI folders on your USB boot drive.

Last edited:
Those Dan cases are exceptional, just difficult to get in the states and expensive.
I am in Germany, but they are sold out here as well. I was lucky :) and shot one at ebay for 250 € from someone who already bought it almost a year ago, but still had it originally packaged because he had no time to start with it.

There were a few things listed in the backtrace, com.apple.kec.corecrypto, com.apple.driver.AppleEffaceableStorage and com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily but I don't know the significance of that information. I read the posting in the link and the original user fixed his issue by replacing his Apple Cinema Display...don't see that being significant here.

Have you tried his Clover based EFI folder, do you get the same behavior? If you do I would probably check that the NVME drive is seated correctly, same with the RAM although neither thing probably has anything to do with your error, and do a clean install using one of his EFI folders on your USB boot drive.
I meant the last entry in that thread. He claimed he fixed it using Diskwarrior.
I didn't yet try Clover. I want to try today evening. I don't know much about Clover. Can I just replace the OpenCore EFI on my bootstick or on my bootvolume with the Clover EFI?

Yesterday evening I copied the exported Email Files files (6 GB, 85.000 files) from my NAS to the local NVMe an produced my next kernel panic.
Then I disassembled my HackMac checked the NVMe and placed it back again. I also swapped the DRAM between the two sockets.
The DAN A4 SFX and the ASUS Rog Z390-I are wonderful small, but in this case it meant to open everything, fumble out the mainboard and even removing my Alpenföhn Cooler to access the DRAM and the NVMe.
After everything was up again, I duplicated that Email folder on my NVMe with no problem.
I was gaining hope again.
But later after running the HackMac for ca. half an hour tried the same again, and produced another kernel panic.
I very much suspect the Samsung EVO 970 has a thermal problem that I didn't find during my Windows tests and produces these kernel panics.
I will try today evening with Clover, or with a fresh Windows install on a external hard disk, and stress test the internal Samsung EVO.

Hello,

Any news regarding the BIOS black screen problem?
I have to use OpenCore regards my Network card RTL8111h.
In Clover it only works after replug my Network plug.
In OpenCore it works without any issue.

The only current problem that I have is the black screen topic with my BIOS.
If anybody have an idea to fix it, please give me a hint...

If anybody could give me a hint regards the Network interface and clover...
I also would like to ask for a hint...

I meant the last entry in that thread. He claimed he fixed it using diskwarrior.
I didn't yet try clover. I want to try today evening. I don't know much about clover. Can I just replace the Opencore EFI on my bootstick or on my bootvolume with the Clover EFI?

Yesterdeay evening I copied the exported Email Files files (6 GB, 85.000 files) from my NAS to the local NVME an produced my next kernal panic.
Then I disassembled my HackMac checked the NVMe and placed it back again. I also swapped the DRAM between the two sockets.
The DAN A4 SFX and the ASUS Rog Z390-I are wonderfull small, but in ths case it meant to open everything, fumble out the mainboard and even removing my Alpenföhn Cooler to access the DRAM and the NVMe.
After everything was up again, I duplicated that Email folder on my NVMe with no problem.
I was gaining hope again.
But later after running the HackMac for ca. half an hour tried the same again, and produced another kernel panic.
I very much suspect the Samsung EVO 970 has a thermal problem that I didn't find during my Windows tests and produces these kernel panics.
I will try today evening with clover, or with a freh Windows install on a external harddisk and stress test the internal Samsung EVO.
To use Clover instead of OC mount the EFI partition on your hard drive then rename the EFI folder to EFIOC or what ever you prefer, then copy over the new Clover EFI and reboot.

Hello,

Any news regarding the Bios black screen problem?
I have to use opencore regards my Network card RTL8111h.
In clove it only works after replug my Network plug.
In opencore it works without any issue.

The only current problem that I have is the black screen topic with my Bios.
If anybody have an idea to fix it, please give me a hint...

If anybody could give me a hint regards the Network interface and clover...
I also would like to ask for a hint...
If you are using OpenCore at the boot screen chose reset NVRAM, that should get your bios screens back. The kext attached is also available for download directly from "Downloads" on this site. Mount your EFi partition and copy it to Clover\kexts\other and reboot and your Ethernet should work.

Attachments

• RealtekRTL8111.kext.zip
    132.4 KB · Views: 54
I'm finding that 16GB of RAM is not enough. I'm contemplating getting 32GB of RAM. Is there anything that can cause a problem just swapping out the RAM I have and putting in 32GB of RAM (2x16GB)? Same speed 3200MHz same timing.

I'm finding that 16GB of RAM is not enough. I'm contemplating getting 32GB of RAM. Is there anything that can cause a problem just swapping out the RAM I have and putting in 32GB of RAM (2x16GB)? Same speed 3200MHz same timing.
You should be fine

I found this guide and thread immensely helpful! I would be grateful if someone could help me debug a few issues I'm running into:

1. My hackintosh seems to randomly restart itself or completely freeze every few days. It also consistently crashes and restarts after a few minutes of using a specific plugin (VST) in Ableton.

2. While in the Clover Boot Menu (I dual boot Windows), my USB devices seem to be turning on and off. They do stay consistently powered once I select a disk to boot. While using the computer, some USB devices seem to stop working once in a while and need to be disconnected and reconnected to work fine.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back