Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

@CaroImperio: I also use the z390-p Motherboard. I currently use your EFI at it works well for me. Also the RTL8111 works. I never got the Network work with clover, therefore your EFI fix one big error for me.
Thanks for that.

My current problem is, that I can't enter the bios anymore.
If I press the del button the screen will stay black. Same if I press the F2 button.
If I press F8 the menu will be visible but if I use "Enter Setup" the screen is going to black again.
I have done a clear CMOS, but it doesn't help.
The Computer is running fine within Windows and cataline but currently I haven't any change to set the right BIOS values after my reset :(.

Have anyone an Idea, how I can enter the setup?

Regards
kaminkehrer

I had same problem. I was able to boot to BIOS via Windows recovery boot, if you have windows installed:

@CaroImperio: I also use the z390-p Motherboard. I currently use your EFI at it works well for me. Also the RTL8111 works. I never got the Network work with clover, therefore your EFI fix one big error for me.
Thanks for that.

My current problem is, that I can't enter the bios anymore.
If I press the del button the screen will stay black. Same if I press the F2 button.
If I press F8 the menu will be visible but if I use "Enter Setup" the screen is going to black again.
The Computer is running fine within Windows and cataline but currently I haven't any change to set the right BIOS values after my reset :(.

Regards
kaminkehrer
@vilu had a good suggestion, I also had this problem and resolved it by updating the bios (same version as installed) through Windows and the Asus update program.

@Leesureone: could you please so kind and tell me which update program for Windows do you have used?
Screenshot_20200423-073551_Firefox.jpg

It's part of this utility. It will allow you to update or refresh the BIOS. On my phone, and I can't recall the exact name of the specific utility it installs as part of a package, but you can probably figure it out.

No that's correct. I will need to ponder.
Didn't work. Same black screen (monitor turns off after Apple logo and progress bar)

Let me spell out the process Im undertaking in case I'm doing something wrong:
1) load clover
2) mount my Catalina partition
3) open and delete entire EFI folder
4) copy over the dgpu-efi unzipped folder that modMike provides
5) run Mac optimizer/ extras / excute all
6) reboot
7) press F11 on bootloader
8) load Catalina

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

@ Mod Mike, any ideas on what I should try? with your latest DGPU-EFI I still get a black screen after apple load up. I have to boot from usb drive to get into Catalina. Is there a solution with opencore? Is opencore an alternative to Clover? Can anyone explain this to me?

Do you have a guide on how to use and setup Catalina using OpenCore?

It was unbelievable ... At some point, I thought that my motherboard was out of order.

I spent more than three hours recovering the BIOS.

What I tried to do:

- reset CMOS
- I took out the video card
- I tried to restore the BIOS from a flash drive
- He pulled out RAM
- Tried changing DisplayPort to HDMI
- Switch ports from the video card to the motherboard

None of this helped me. I wasted a ton of time.

Fortunately, I managed to solve the problem. I used the official ASUS EZ Update utility for Windows 10, which I downloaded from the official site. Through it, I installed the previous (latest) version of the BIOS, which I also downloaded from the ASUS website. The procedure took about three minutes, after which my BIOS again worked correctly. The black screen problem has been resolved.

I still don’t know why my BIOS stopped working during OpenCore testing, but maybe this is somehow related to a critical CMOS error after shutting down the Mac. If you ever encounter such a problem, you can solve it this way.
Thanks for that.

My current problem is, that I can't enter the BIOS anymore.
If I press the delete button the screen will stay black. Same if I press the F2 button.
The Computer is running fine within Windows and Catalina but currently I haven't any change to set the right BIOS values after my reset :(.

Regards
kaminkehrer
@ModMike It seems like this is a massive problem.

I don’t know why, but after turning on macOS or WIndows through the OpenCore loader, Bios stops working - when it appears a black screen.

After another flashing of the BIOS, I got rid of the OpenCore bootloader and did not encounter this problem.

Apparently, OpenCore somehow damages the BIOS. When using Clover I have no such problem.

I don’t know why, but after turning on macOS or WIndows through the OpenCore loader, Bios stops working - when it appears a black screen.

After another flashing of the BIOS, I got rid of the OpenCore bootloader and did not encounter this problem.

Apparently, OpenCore somehow damages the BIOS. When using Clover I have no such problem.
OMG! Thank you so much, I've been battling this for the last 3-4 days, going to try reflashing now.
Much appreciated

I am a behind on work and need to work through the weekend so I will not be looking at this again until Sunday evening. If @Leesureone wants to step in and take over until then, please do, I welcome your help and input.

I suspect that all of this BIOS patching by OC and Clover may corrupted the NVRAM. I personally have not had any issues but would suggest that you save your BIOS profile using the tools menu in BIOS and then update to the latest version of BIOS. Reset your CMOS by shorting the proper pins (look in manual, When the machine reboots, restore your profile and you should be good to go.

I personally have not had this problem so I am have no other advice than what I just posted. I will be back Sunday with have some updated EFIs for both OC and Clover that I will roll out then.

I wanted to spend some time debugging for you so if you can keep an eye out on Sunday, I will work to resolve your issue as best I can.

Back