Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

@shcraigen its always best to look for a guide written to support your exact motherboard if possible, the I and the E are both Z390 chipsets but the boards themselves can vary enough you may run into problems if you don't.

@Leesureone another member referred me to this guide which is why I’m trying to use it, but thanks for the link I’ll try that one instead.

its always best to look for a guide written to support your exact motherboard if possible, the I and the E are both Z390 chipsets but the boards themselves can vary enough you may run into problems if you don't. The other issue is if you ask an owner of an i Gaming questions about an E Gaming board they have no way to verify or test fixes regarding whatever issues you are having. My best suggestion is to google ASUS Rog Strix Z390-E Gaming Hackintosh and see what comes up.
As far as I know, the only differences are the following;
Gaming-e has CNVI wifi
Gaming-f no wifi
Gaming-i Intel wifi

The gaming-f works fine following this guide, as it has no wifi. I had a compatible pci card so no problems after adding kexts. I've used it for fresh installs of Mojave and Catalina :thumbup:
Interestingly the gaming e and g are not advertised on the Asus website anymore.
But these 3 are;
https://www.asus.com/uk/Product-Com...irqVg44,kQG1OgjwfAo3g7vj,k2rGlz7qJChrTqS1&b=2
I hope I'm not breaking the rules, but it does display all the differences side by side, which could eliminate problems.

As far as I know, the only differences are the following;
Gaming-e has CNVI wifi
Gaming-f no wifi
Gaming-i Intel wifi

The gaming-f works fine following this guide, as it has no wifi. I had a compatible pci card so no problems after adding kexts. I've used it for fresh installs of Mojave and Catalina :thumbup:
Interestingly the gaming e and g are not advertised on the Asus website anymore.
But these 3 are;
https://www.asus.com/uk/Product-Com...irqVg44,kQG1OgjwfAo3g7vj,k2rGlz7qJChrTqS1&b=2
I hope I'm not breaking the rules, but it does display all the differences side by side, which could eliminate problems.
From the posts in this thread users that have the F can use this guide and only need to change the Ethernet kext. E model users seem to have more problems for whatever reasons so my suspicion is something else is different and that's not uncommon. I don't have either board anymore, had the i model but got frustrated with the lack of expansion PCIe slots but still follow this thread.

@shcraign was able to install on his E board using a different EFI folder, see here #62

Last edited:
Everything works... except for WiFi. However, I have the Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming motherboard. I'm assuming the onboard WiFi is a little different than on the Z390-I. The connector on the WiFi card looks different. I didn't realize this until after I ordered, tried to install the DW1560 card and got no WiFi/Bluetooth. I just need to figure out what's compatible with my motherboard and MacOS now. But I'm very happy with the results otherwise.

Everything works... except for WiFi. However, I have the Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming motherboard. I'm assuming the onboard WiFi is a little different than on the Z390-I. The connector on the WiFi card looks different. I didn't realize this until after I ordered, tried to install the DW1560 card and got no WiFi/Bluetooth. I just need to figure out what's compatible with my motherboard and MacOS now. But I'm very happy with the results otherwise.
Because you have free PCIe slots, I highly recommend the Fenvi T919, native support, plug and play for macOS. There are other options that cost a little less. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VCCZS54/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

I’ve just used the Fenvi T919 and it just works no configuration required. I’m also using the E mobo. Good luck!

@GawainR I have tried the -v option and even tried adding the others (-v -x -s -no -zp) but it hangs at the same place no matter who's EFI folder I try. I have tried the EFI folder for catalina by @ModMike and @antiserum420.

Code:
OsxAptioFix2Drv: Starting overrides for \System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi
Using reloc block: no, hibernate wake: no
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As soon as it leaves clover to run the install both my mouse and keyboard lights turn off and if I press the Num Lock key nothing happens.

USB installer was made using
Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --nointeraction
Then using clover mounting the EFI partition and coping the contents of either @ModMike or @antiserum420 EFI folder over to it.

I did notice that a few pages back @negatv specs look to be roughly the same as mine; if he wouldn't mind uploading his EFI folder I would love to give it a try.

Jrhopkins, I just built the near exact same system as you and get the same error when i try and boot. My specs:

• Asus Z390-I
  • Intel Core i7-9700k
  • 1x32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz
  • Powercolor Vega 56

You said you got it working by using a Vega 56 but I am already using this. Could you please post your latest EFI folder so I could try that?

I also updated the motherboard BIOS to latest - would this affect it?

Which version of OsxAptioFix2Drv are people using?

Last edited:
Update - managed to get it working based on negatv's posts a few pages back.

He suggested using AptioMemoryFix. I tried this initially by swapping out the efi file in previously supplied efi folders in this thread - no luck.

Then I just installed clover using the installer. Ticked AptioMemoryFix and left everything else default. It worked perfectly.

Installed OS X, and EVERYTHING works, including the DW1560. Really amazed as I am used to spending several days messing around with kexts (back when I did snow leopard hackintoshes!)

Only thing I am trying to get working is liquidctl so I can control the Kraken X62 I have.

I am making a small youtube video guide on the whole process so stay posted for that!

Seb

My hypothesis as to why this problem arises:

OsxAptioFix cannot work with double density RAM (ie 32GB sticks of RAM)
AptioMemoryFix works with this RAM.

As to the reason why this is I dont know - I cant be bothered spending time comparing the operation of both memory mapping files.

Therefore you should only need to use AptioMemoryFix if you have 32GB sticks. Otherwise the EFI files posted earlier in this thread will work. I will post my EFI folder once I have finalized my installation.

Back