Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

I used Clover Configure to do it. Mount the EFI partition first, then go to "Kexts Installer".
That should detect the partition, but set the "OS" to "Others".

Check the "AirportBrmcFixup" kext, and hit "Download". If you want, check "backup kext" before downloading.
Then reboot.

At least, that's what I did, and now my Dell DW1560 card works well!

Just curious for those who are in Catalina, how long does clover to login screen boot time take? Mine goes around 25-35 seconds.

First of all, Thanks to @ModMike, and all the others who contributed to this thread!! It made my life so much easier!

IMG_9571.png

I just finished my own build some days ago and so far everything is working perfectly! Also the whole process of installing went super fast and uncomplicated. I only spend about an afternoon to get everything working. (This is by far a personal record. On other hackintoshes I worked multiple days, just to get it in a usable state.)

Anyway, some tweaks had to be made. In the following I want to share the experiences I made and how I adapted the original guide to make it work with my hardware.

Hardware wise I did not made any compromises this time. So I ended up building pretty much my dream Machine:
  • CPU: i9 9900k
  • Mainboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-i Gaming
  • GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT
  • HD: Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb
  • Ram: 32GB (2x 16384MB) G.Skill SniperX Urban Camouflage DDR4-3600 DIMM CL19-20-20-40 Dual Kit
  • Wifi Card: DW1560 as described in the original guide (Got it for about 60€ on Ebay)
  • CPU Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3 (had this form my previous hackintosh)
  • PSU: Some old 500W Enermax (from my older builds. I have this for over 10 years now and it's still running without any issues!)
  • Case: NZXT h210

Here are some impressions of the machine itself. IMHO it looks pretty sick!
IMG_9581.JPG
IMG_9563.JPG

IMG_9562.JPG
19-12-04 22-31-22 3242.jpg

19-11-29 18-14-29 3220.jpg
Screenshot 2019-12-04 at 22.47.00.png

I had to do the installation twice. After I got the system running the first time, I activated FileVault, which destroyed my installation. So I had to do it again. (In my first approach, I installed Mojave without DGPU first, upgraded it to Catalina and then installed the 5700 XT. Cant remember everything in detail)
On my second run I tried to improve the process by integrating the knowledge I gained during the first installation. I ended up with a pretty simple way to directly install macOS Catalina:
  1. Download MacOS Catalina from AppStore (has to be 10.15.1 or higher, for support of Navi/5700 XT)
  2. create Catalina usb installer, following this guide. (stop after 14.)
  3. replace the EFI folder (in EFI partition on USB stick) with the one in CAT-DGPU-EFI-Salabasti (attached below) (Basically I ended up using the files from the original CAT-DGPU-EFI.zip, in addition with the stuff described here.)
  4. Configure Bios settings as described in the original guide.
  5. (maybe optional) Remove the graphics card (I had strange glitches in the installation gui, when I used the DGPU)
  6. Install macOS Catalina
  7. Disable SIP (using clover method)
  8. Install clover (I used R5099)
  9. Replace the EFI folder of your local EFI partition with the one in CAT-DGPU-EFI-Salabasti (attached below)
  10. Done!
For activating continuity I also refer to the original guide.

I did not try to activate FileVault again yet. So I can not say if this was a random error or if there is a bigger issue. Besides of that I could not find anything else that did not work for me.
The only thing that is a bit annoying is the loudness of the Sapphire 5700 XT. Even in idle its pretty noticeable. But I will most likely switch to some water-cooling solution (only for the gpu, love the dark rock) in the near future, which should solve the issue.

Thanks again to everybody who contributed to this awesome piece of knowledge. If you have any further questions regarding my build feel free to ask! I am happy to help.

Regards,
Salabasti

Attachments

• CAT-DGPU-EFI-Salabasti.zip
    22.9 MB · Views: 79
Last edited:
First of all, Thanks to @ModMike, and all the others who contributed to this thread!! It made my life so much easier!

That looks great! Very impressed. Curious how it performs, any heat issues or fan noise?

I get a "Download path doesn't exist!" error. Do I need to change the location?
default location is efi/clover/kexts
Whatever works, sounds like your EFI partition wasn't mounted but if it was pick your desktop as the download location and then drag the kext to /EFI/Clover/kexts/other. Then reboot and see how Bluetooth works.

I just finished my own build some days ago and so far everything is working perfectly! Also the whole process of installing went super fast and uncomplicated. I only spend about an afternoon to get everything working. (This is by far a personal record. On other hackintoshes I worked multiple days, just to get it in a usable state.)

Anyway, some tweaks had to be made. In the following I want to share the experiences I made and how I adapted the original guide to make it work with my hardware.

Hardware wise I did not made any compromises this time. So I ended up building pretty much my dream Machine:
  • Ram: 32Gb of some 3600Mhz DDR4 (I forgot which exactly)
  • Wifi Card: DW1560 as described in the original guide (Got it for about 60€ on Ebay)
  • PSU: Some old 500W Enermax (from my older builds. I have this for over 10 years now and it's still running without any issues!)

I had to do the installation twice. After I got the system running the first time, I activated FileVault, which destroyed my installation. So I had to do it again. (In my first approach, I installed Mojave without DGPU first, upgraded it to Catalina and then installed the 5700 XT. Cant remember everything in detail)
On my second run I tried to improve the process by integrating the knowledge I gained during the first installation. I ended up with a pretty simple way to directly install macOS Catalina:
  1. Download MacOS Catalina from AppStore (has to be 10.15.1 or higher, for support of Navi/5700 XT)
  3. replace the EFI folder (in EFI partition on USB stick) with the one in CAT-DGPU-EFI-Salabasti (attached below) (Basically I ended up using the files from the original CAT-DGPU-EFI.zip, in addition with the stuff described here.)
  5. (maybe optional) Remove the graphics card (I had strange glitches in the installation gui, when I used the DGPU)
  9. Replace the EFI folder of your local EFI partition with the one in CAT-DGPU-EFI-Salabasti (attached below)
  10. Done!

I did not try to activate FileVault again yet. So I can not say if this was a random error or if there is a bigger issue. Besides of that I could not find anything else that did not work for me.
The only thing that is a bit annoying is the loudness of the Sapphire 5700 XT. Even in idle its pretty noticeable. But I will most likely switch to some water-cooling solution (only for the gpu, love the dark rock) in the near future, which should solve the issue.

Thanks again to everybody who contributed to this awesome piece of knowledge. If you have any further questions regarding my build feel free to ask! I am happy to help.

Regards,
Salabasti

• Ram: 32Gb of some 3600Mhz DDR4 (I forgot which exactly)

10. Done!

Regards,
Salabasti
Nice write up, no attachment though.

Upgrade to Radeon 5700XT today (Sapphire Pulse), and could not get the thing to get past the loading screen. Would end up stalling at the same point and eventually rebooting, never reaching the desktop.

I remember seeing someone post a few dozen pages back some info as to their config.plist and kexts that they were successfully about to get their 5700xt working. The only changes I needed were the following:

1) Remove WhateverGreen.kext (can block the injection from Clover boot screen while testing)

2) Clover: Disable injecting of Graphics (ATI/Intel/Nvidia), as well as RadeonDeInit:

Code:
<dict>
                <key>Inject</key>
                <dict>
                        <key>ATI</key>
                        <false/>
                        <key>Intel</key>
                        <false/>
                        <key>NVidia</key>
                        <false/>
                </dict>
                <key>RadeonDeInit</key>
                <false/>
        </dict>

I can boot with WhateverGreen.kext and agdpmod=pikera, but I get red stripes across the screen.

FWIW, I'm using Displayport, but HDMI did work although I wasn't getting full resolution. (5120x1440 on Samsung 49inch monitor).

Upgrade to Radeon 5700XT today (Sapphire Pulse), and could not get the thing to get past the loading screen. Would end up stalling at the same point and eventually rebooting, never reaching the desktop.

I remember seeing someone post a few dozen pages back some info as to their config.plist and kexts that they were successfully about to get their 5700xt working. The only changes I needed were the following:

1) Remove WhateverGreen.kext (can block the injection from Clover boot screen while testing)

2) Clover: Disable injecting of Graphics (ATI/Intel/Nvidia), as well as RadeonDeInit:

Code:
<dict>
                <key>Inject</key>
                <dict>
                        <key>ATI</key>
                        <false/>
                        <key>Intel</key>
                        <false/>
                        <key>NVidia</key>
                        <false/>
                </dict>
                <key>RadeonDeInit</key>
                <false/>
        </dict>

I can boot with WhateverGreen.kext and agdpmod=pikera, but I get red stripes across the screen.

FWIW, I'm using Displayport, but HDMI did work although I wasn't getting full resolution. (5120x1440 on Samsung 49inch monitor).
This worked for me, I’m using the 5701 version of clover.

Back