Contribute
Register

The best way to set up a Windows + macOS dual-boot system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP Z600
CPU
2x Xeon X5570
Graphics
Quadro 4000 (2GB)
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there again guys,
Setting up a Windows and macOS dual-boot system would be great. I would love to have the compatibility of Windows and the beauty of macOS on the same system. I tried creating a boot disk for Sierra 10.12.3 using UniBeast, but I couldn't get my mouse/keyboard to work (as mentioned in a previous forum post). This time I want to set up 10.12.4. Does anyone know, with my specs and system model (HP Z600), the best way to do this? Also, if you can provide an answer to the issue with the mouse/keyboard, that would be great.

I'm counting on you guys,
buhdeuce67

There are excellent guides in the Multi Booting section.

Two things. First of all, I have a legacy BIOS, but I could only find a guide for booting with separate drives with a legacy BIOS. Which steps do I need to ignore to have them on the same hard disk, but with two different partitions? And, finally, if I follow the guides, I think I'll just run into that USB problem again. Is there a way to inject a USB 2.0 kext before installation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Two things. First of all, I have a legacy BIOS, but I could only find a guide for booting with separate drives with a legacy BIOS. Which steps do I need to ignore to have them on the same hard disk, but with two different partitions? And, finally, if I follow the guides, I think I'll just run into that USB problem again. Is there a way to inject a USB 2.0 kext before installation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
It is really best to use separate drive, especially on Legacy BIOS systems. If you just absolutely must install on same drive, what size drive and how much space do you plan to allow for each partition?

600GB for Windows and 200GB for Mac. Other 200GB is Windows system image recovery.

1TB in total. Plus 8gb USB (in case I need it)

The last time I installed Mac + Win on the same drive was using Chimera - have not tried it with Clover.
Installing them on a dual CPU system is also always a challenge. What you can try:
Boot the Unibeast installer and format the drive 2 partitions - 200GB for OS X formatted Mac OS E + J, the second partition MSDOS FAT.
Shutdown, remove the USB, insert the Win10 USB and boot.
At the selection screen select the FAT partition, click on format, then continue the installation. When Win10 installation is complete, update it, add your security suite and shutdown.
Remove the Win10 USB, insert the UniBeast USB, boot and install Sierra. Use the Clover installer to install Clover so the EFI folder and boot files are in the root of the Sierra installation instead of the EFI partition. Note that MultiBeast will install Clover in the EFI partition when you select Legacy installation - you do not want that, so only use MB to install the other files you need, not the boot loader.

Post results.

Post results.
IMG_0004.JPG
When booting from the Sierra partition of my USB (in verbose mode), the last line I could remember coming up was Waiting On: (and then some XML). After that, I got the corrupted text and prohibition circle in the image. I can see a bit that says: lookup failure, AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, maybe this might have something to do with it?

Last edited:
IMG_0015.JPG

Managed to get a snap of the text before the corruption. Booting into safe mode had the same effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back