Contribute
Register

Testing Thread: Skylake Platform in OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the link, GA-Z170X-UD5 TH F4b can't actually hit the link blocked at work. hopefully has a list of changes also.

Can you post the attached config and kext you've used for your setup? Also what did you change in the BIOS? Thanks a lot.

Edited : Im also stuck at the "waiting for root device" w/ that disallow icon. (Freeze screen) ; Ive tried all boot flags possible and still no result.

Hi! Here is my bios changes - but first of all you should load defaults settings.
So you should go to Advanced -> CPU configuration - > intel virtualization (disabled)
-> VT-d - (disabled)
-> SATA Mode - (AHCI)
->XHCI Hand - off (enabled)
-> Secure boot -> OS Type - (other os)

In latest bios version ASUS was removed APIC option. So you need to apply a patch (it possible to do by clover). You should download config.plist that tonymacx earlier have attached and replace the default config.plist (please do before backup). It is included all patches that you needed. After that you must put USBInjectAll.kext (it's important) to "Other" folder in the EFI directory created by clover (sorry for my english). Also you can put any other kexts - for example for PS/2 keyboard/mouse).

May be I forgot something, so you guys correct me please.

P.S.
For now not working ethernet, integrated graphics card (50/50), sound, USB3.1
So here my plan to fix the issues
1. Graphics - I bought Nvidia GTX 980
2. Ethernet - I made order of Azurewave Broadcom PCI-E module and I'm waiting the shipping from China (1-2 weeks I hope) , because I have WiFi only in my working room now
3. Sound - I'll use external USB sound card(lexicon alpha)

I'm not sure that everything will smoothly, but I hope that.

So good luck!

In latest bios version ASUS was removed APIC option. So you need to apply a patch (it possible to do by clover).

Hello, you require action on the Bios or on config.plist?

Hello, you require action on the Bios or on config.plist?

Please look to Update 3 of tonymacx86. I didn't wont downgrade the bios version, thats why I used patch.

So if you have older bios version - you should to disable IOAPIC http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/309189-asus-maximus-viii-gene-i7-6700k-skylake/

Otherwise you need to apply this https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2015/11/06/appleapic-kext-binary-patch-for-skylake/

First time I didn't knowed, how to do this cause I am not profi hackintosher and tried to manualy replace bytes in kext. But if you read previous link and opened attached config.plist of tonymacx86 - it's already included into his clover config now

Hi! Here is my bios changes - but first of all you should load defaults settings.
So you should go to Advanced -> CPU configuration - > intel virtualization (disabled)
-> VT-d - (disabled)
-> SATA Mode - (AHCI)
->XHCI Hand - off (enabled)
-> Secure boot -> OS Type - (other os)

In latest bios version ASUS was removed APIC option. So you need to apply a patch (it possible to do by clover). You should download config.plist that tonymacx earlier have attached and replace the default config.plist (please do before backup). It is included all patches that you needed. After that you must put USBInjectAll.kext (it's important) to "Other" folder in the EFI directory created by clover (sorry for my english). Also you can put any other kexts - for example for PS/2 keyboard/mouse).

May be I forgot something, so you guys correct me please.

P.S.
For now not working ethernet, integrated graphics card (50/50), sound, USB3.1
So here my plan to fix the issues
1. Graphics - I bought Nvidia GTX 980
2. Ethernet - I made order of Azurewave Broadcom PCI-E module and I'm waiting the shipping from China (1-2 weeks I hope) , because I have WiFi only in my working room now
3. Sound - I'll use external USB sound card(lexicon alpha)

I'm not sure that everything will smoothly, but I hope that.

So good luck!
I have the older BIOS, so I am able to disable the APIC option, I've also disabled the CSM. With the USBInjectAll.kext ; I've gotten past "waiting for root" ; but now, "Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport!" along with "Still waiting for root device" below it w/ the disallow sign. Any clue? I've tried all boot flags possible.

Edited: Sorry, I forgot to tell you my PC build.
Mobo : ASUS VIII GENE
CPU : INTEL i5 6600K
GPU : GTX 970 (Ref)
SSD : SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB
PSU : CORSAIR 650W

Thank you. That "Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport" seems to be listed in the main post by Tony, so I'm glad its noted there, knowing I am not the only one.

This is the Z170X-UD5.

I still can't get either onboard ethernet to work correctly. I beleve the i211 "stop working after 10min" problem was solved by rebuilding the AppleIGB.kext driver targeting the 10.11 sdk. However it still doesn't survive sleep/wake, the network connection is not working on wake but can be restarted by setting of then on in control panel. It then works, but shows as disconnected in control panel. The i219-V is also not supported yet. I ended up getting a usb hub with ethernet and it works fine. Also shutdown doesn't work correctly, it will turn off but then turn back on again a few seconds later. I also have a Samsung 950 Pro (NVMe) and it isn't recognized, I can't find any solutions to this currently.

Beyond that most stuff is working. All usb 2.0/3.0 work including internal headers, this required SSDT patch/injector/clover patch similar to the H170-wifi guide posted here. I haven't tried getting usb 3.1 speeds or the type-c port working yet, I don't have any devices that can use it. I don't know how well the HD 530 graphics works, I use an NVIDIA card and it seems fine. I also haven't tried getting the audio working as I use bluetooth audio, but I suspect it will work as it's a similar solution to the H170-wifi. I'm using a null ethernet device as en0 so iCloud/iMessage/App Store will work. But if the i211 can be fixed this won't be necessary. Also it works fine at my nominal overclock of 4.5 GHz with an i7-6700k. I added the additional p-states to the SSDT patch posted here earlier and it works. Had to add my DIMM info in clover to get the memory I have to work at XMP, but with XMP disabled it was detected properly.

Overall I've had a mixed experience with this motherboard not just with OS X but on windows and linux as well. In spite of that I would probably buy this board again since it's been very stable, and that's the most important criteria for me.

The positives are:
* Very stable.
* The hardware that is there works well.
* BIOS updates have come quickly.

The negatives are:
* Fan control is pretty bad. You have 2 CPU fan headers (1-pwm, 1-voltage control) and 3 chassis fan headers (all voltage control). There is no custom curve support in bios, there are a few presets and a selection of "custom" linear presets (eg. 0.75 %/DegC is the minimum). The fan control software in windows is terrible, and won't reload fan curves at login. In fact all the gigabyte windows software is pretty terrible. Speedfan does not support the thermal chip currently. The thermal chip works in linux lm_sensors with some extra kernel parameters.

* You have to run the beta bios(s) if you want 1GHz FLCK for Early Power On. The non-beta bios(s) have this set at 800MHz.

* The selection of initial display PCI slot doesn't seem to work. No matter what I set it on I can only get PCI 1 or IGFX. I briefly experimented with multiple graphics cards and could not get PCI2 to be the first init display.

* The board will not POST unless a display is connected. I have no idea why and no ideas as to how to fix this. It seems a bizarre behavior to me.

thanks for such an informative response. I think I'll take the plunge. I'm also planning to get nvidia's card so the problem with hd530 ain't really an issue with me. I'm sure with time, the remaining few bugs will be solved.

thanks a lot!

I have the older BIOS, so I am able to disable the APIC option, I've also disabled the CSM. With the USBInjectAll.kext ; I've gotten past "waiting for root" ; but now, "Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport!" along with "Still waiting for root device" below it w/ the disallow sign. Any clue? I've tried all boot flags possible.

Edited: Sorry, I forgot to tell you my PC build.
Mobo : ASUS VIII GENE
CPU : INTEL i5 6600K
GPU : GTX 970 (Ref)
SSD : SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB
PSU : CORSAIR 650W

Thank you. That "Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport" seems to be listed in the main post by Tony, so I'm glad its noted there, knowing I am not the only one.

I don't know, I'm a noob. Let me try to read tea leaves:)
1. Remove all unneeded USB devices from USB ports. If you have PS2 device - remove it.
2. Put Installation flash to USB 2 (I'm not sure, it make sense? Just try)
3. Remove all folders from EFI/Clover/Kext except 10.11 and other
4. Set the BIOS to Multi-Monitor = Disabled
5. Try to boot with nv_disable=True or nv_disable=1

P.S.

Try to boot with latest FakeSMC.kext and USBInjectAll.kext only.
Also make sure that clover flag FixOwnership is turned on.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about building a hackintosh. What is my odds for it ever working properly with the following parts?

ASUS GeForce STRIX GTX 970 4GB PCI-Express 3.0, "DirectCU II, OC"
ASUS Z170-A
Cooler Master Seidon 120V v2
Corsair CX 600M, 600W
Fractal Design Define R5
HyperX Fury DDR4 2133MHz 16GB kit 2x8GB CL14
Intel Core i5-6600K
Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB 2.5" O
Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB 2.5"
TP-Link ArcherT8E Wireless PCI-E Adapter Broadcom

I updated to the newer Non beta BIOS with no change, still get the denied circle/slash. If in verbose mode dies at Bluetooth even with the blue tooth dongle used in my other to machines disconnected. It surprises me a bit that others can get this board to at least run the installer with basically the same setup. Using the config.plist with the 1-3 fixes I would expect to at least get to the installer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back