Contribute
Register

Testing Thread: Skylake Platform in OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reporting Success on Skylake Hackintosh!

After a almost 24 hour try out, I have successfully installed El Capitan 10.11.1 using Clover on my Skylake 6700K Build. Below are the Details my latest Build. Installed it on the SATA SSD and all the USB 3.0 port working just fine. Could not test 3.1 as I don't have any device.

Motherboard: Asus Maximus Ranger VIII
Processor: Skylake 6700K
RAM: 16GB DD4 2400Mhz. Showing up correctly.
Graphics: 1x Nvidia 980 and 1x nVidia 770 with Latest Web Driver
3x 3TB HDD Detected and Running fine.

All the Display Ports working perfectly. Running 1 QHD and 4 HD Monitor. FCP Working Smooth. USB 3.0 Speed as usual and SSD Performance is perfect as well.

Things that did not work:

Audio and Ethernet. Currently using a PCI Ethernet Card and External Sound Unit by M-Audio and they are working just fine.

Running for the last 4 hours and still got no issue with the Build.
Probably Metal Working fine.

Tips for nVidia 980 Web Driver.

You need to edit both AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy and nVidastartup.kext (something like that) to work with the Graphics Card. Somewhere in this site somebody also posted that fix and I can't find it for now.

No need to use nvda.drv=1 with the latest web driver. If you do, it will not boot properly. Use kext-dev-mode flag after you edit the KEXT files.

Wow! Awesome! Can you say, which pci-e ethernet card you have used? Cause I would like to buy it. (but want sure that will work) Today I ordered nvidia gtx 980 (price like iron bridge:). After all purchases I begun to think that I could to buy last iMac, but it's a bored.

Wow! Awesome! Can you say, which pci-e ethernet card you have used? Cause I would like to buy it. (but want sure that will work) Today I ordered nvidia gtx 980 (price like iron bridge:). After all purchases I begun to think that I could to buy last iMac, but it's a bored.

For NIC, I am using a Prolink something (OLD NIC) which has some kinda realtek cheap inside.
For Audio: M-Audio Profire610

Just used some extensive software like FCP and Adobe CC, both working super awesome. Its better than my x79 Sabertooth 3940 Build. The Graphics are buttersmooth. Booting is flawless. All the 5 Screens I am using are perfectly working. Used the Migration Assistant to transfer my data, that worked great too. I wish I could use the onboard Audio but its ok I guess.

Photos of my Skylake Build

9.jpg0.jpg

I've done on MSI Z170a Gaming M3 and Core i5 6600K.
And have same bug with half ram...
The Kingston HyperX Fury 8Gb/DDR4/2600Mhz is installed on my board, bios detected 8Gb/2600Mhz too, but Mac shows only 4 gb at 3200 mhz.
Tried that trick with memory description in SMBios with Clover and have no luck...
About this mac shows me full 8Gb, but I desided to check it and run memtest and it shows only 4Gb...
Guys, did you tested the memory with memtest after that trick in SMbios?
RAM tester you can load here here

I would like to report 100% full success on my ASRock Z170M-itx/ac board!
Could you test your memory with memtest and show us results, please?

Attachments

• vhpvSaw.jpg
    vhpvSaw.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 203
I've done on MSI Z170a Gaming M3 and Core i5 6600K.
And have same bug with half ram...
The Kingston HyperX Fury 8Gb/DDR4/2600Mhz is installed on my board, bios detected 8Gb/2600Mhz too, but Mac shows only 4 gb at 3200 mhz.
Tried that trick with memory description in SMBios with Clover and have no luck...
About this mac shows me full 8Gb, but I desided to check it and run memtest and it shows only 4Gb...
Guys, did you tested the memory with memtest after that trick in SMbios?
RAM tester you can load here here

Could you test your memory with memtest and show us results, please?

Hi Tightlovin,

The Memory Page Size at 4096 MB is normal - the memory test runs in 4 GB (4096 MB) chunks at a time.

Something is wrong with your memory config. What I see wrong:

1) Only showing One 4GB Chip in System Profiler and About this Mac
2) Could not get memory lock is not good
3) Only 2.5 GB available for testing means yes you are running on 4 GB

If you copy pasted the SMBIOS memory fix from earlier in this thread - that memory fix is for a two-memory-port board. The fix had to "create" four memory slots so that the dual channel memory could be successfully injected. If you have a board with four memory slots, you will need to edit the SMBIOS memory injection from the original...

Let us know,

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-11-14 at 3.08.12 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-11-14 at 3.08.12 PM.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 151
  • vhpvSaw.jpg
    vhpvSaw.jpg
    386.2 KB · Views: 142
thanks for the explanation friend!

I know this is purely speculation but how likely would be the best guess as to having relatively good support on El Capitan with Skylake? Would hoping for Q1 or Q2 2016 been too optimistic?

I was specifically looking at the Gigabyte z170x ud5 Th.

Honestly it seems like there's pretty good support already. On my system, iMessage, audio and USB I fixed with the methods that everyone else has had to use since El Capitan. Those with graphics cards seem to have their systems running just fine. My biggest issue is the iGPU. I don't have graphics acceleration on the Intel HD Graphics 530 yet, and I suspect that's the cause of my few remaining issues.

I don't know what will push the Skylake iGPU support along...El Capitan updates, laptop releases, or developer patches? I just have to be patient I guess.

But separate graphics cards seem to yield a nicely functioning system.

Honestly it seems like there's pretty good support already. On my system, iMessage, audio and USB I fixed with the methods that everyone else has had to use since El Capitan. Those with graphics cards seem to have their systems running just fine. My biggest issue is the iGPU. I don't have graphics acceleration on the Intel HD Graphics 530 yet, and I suspect that's the cause of my few remaining issues.

I don't know what will push the Skylake iGPU support along...El Capitan updates, laptop releases, or developer patches? I just have to be patient I guess.

But separate graphics cards seem to yield a nicely functioning system.
Hmm. This does change a few things and quite possibly bumps up the time in which I will be investing in computer components. I am now thinking that this winter break in between semesters will be the time I start to buy components. In regards to the IGPU I was planning on running a gtx980ti anyway.

Do you currently have any weird oddities to get things working? Like only booting from a usb, disable nvidia everytime you restart, usb3 is downgraded to usb2 or 1...

Hmm. This does change a few things and quite possibly bumps up the time in which I will be investing in computer components. I am now thinking that this winter break in between semesters will be the time I start to buy components. In regards to the IGPU I was planning on running a gtx980ti anyway.

Do you currently have any weird oddities to get things working? Like only booting from a usb, disable nvidia everytime you restart, usb3 is downgraded to usb2 or 1...

I got my USBs working fine yesterday. The only thing USB port that doesn't respond to USB 3.0 is the 3.1 compatible one. I have plenty of other ports though. I had audio loss after sleep but fixed that today. It boots fine from the EFI on the SSD. I have Windows 10 dual booted on another SSD and Clover recognizes it just fine. I don't have any wireless or Bluetooth hardware so I can't speak to that.

like I said the thing holding my system back the most is graphics. I only inject Intel in my config.plist. It doesn't recognize my displays and only outputs the same thing to both monitors because it thinks there is only one. I think my issues of Finder freezing are due to the lack of graphics acceleration. If I click too fast through it I usually lock up Finder and need to restart. I have graphic artifacts, too. I've been logging my build details on a post in page 13 (post 122) in this thread if you want to see all I've done to get it working.

like USB3.1, new features will be what's lacking in support. Thunderbolt 3.0, HDMI 2.0, etc.

Remaining issues
My biggest issue is the iGPU. I don't have graphics acceleration on the Intel HD Graphics 530 yet, and I suspect that's the cause of my few remaining issues.

I
don't know what will push the Skylake iGPU support along...El Capitan updates, laptop releases, or developer patches? I just have to be patient I guess.

like I said the thing holding my system back the most is graphics. I only inject Intel in my config.plist. It doesn't recognize my displays and only outputs the same thing to both monitors because it thinks there is only one. I think my issues of Finder freezing are due to the lack of graphics acceleration. If I click too fast through it I usually lock up Finder and need to restart. I have graphic artifacts, too. I've been logging my build details on a post in page 13 (post 122) in this thread if you want to see all I've done to get it working.

Rest assured, people are working on this. I know at least 2 other Mods that have been spending several hrs a day trying to get HD530 working properly. Trying different framebuffer options, among other things. This is not an easy fix...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back