Contribute
Register

Testing Apple Raid with Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just came across this thread and thought I would chip in.
A separate loader drive is not required at all.

I have a Dell XPS 9530 laptop with a SATA and mSATA slot.

The SATA HDD is replaced with a Samsung EVO840 1TB SATA SSD and the mSATA slot is replaced with a Samsung EVO840 1TB mSATA SSD.

These are configured in SATA AHCI mode in the bios. The AppleRAID is configured as a RAID-0 across 200 GB partitions at the start of each SATA SSD.

blackmagic-speed-test.png

The speeds are great for bootup and running virtual machines.
It would be faster even with the newer laptops like the Asus which has dual PCIe SSD slots.

I have been running on AppleRAID since Mavericks using Clover and everything works great out of the box.
Booting Clover happens from the AppleRAID drive itself, and from any Clover USB I use for debugging.

Additionally booting an external installation of OS X from USB also mounts and shows the AppleRAID just fine.

I install / update Clover manually, for which I have made quick terminal command:
Code:
alias efi='diskutil mount 79635BDD-02F2-46C4-9DCD-876CD925EC5B'

This alias is in my .bash_profile, so in the terminal I just have to type "efi" to mount the right boot folder.
Note that your GUID would be different and unique to your partition, you can find it in "disk utility -> get info".

This is required because sometimes the drives are detected in a different order, i.e. disk0 is not always disk0 but sometimes becomes disk1.

The disk layout is as follows:
Code:
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                 Apple_RAID                         200.0 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Boot OS X               134.2 MB   disk0s3
   4:                  Apple_HFS Storage                 799.7 GB   disk0s4
/dev/disk1
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                 Apple_RAID                         200.0 GB   disk1s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Boot OS X               134.2 MB   disk1s3
   4:       Microsoft Basic Data Windows 8.1             799.9 GB   disk1s4

The EFI holding Clover in the above view is on /dev/disk1s1. The EFI partition on the other disk is empty.
Note that I am also dual booting with Windows 8.1 (for gaming...)

The AppleRAID is configured as follows:
Code:
AppleRAID sets (1 found)
===============================================================================
Name:                 OS X
Unique ID:            1A47ABAB-FA4C-4AEB-9EC6-711FA476A5E4
Type:                 Stripe
Size:                 400.0 GB (399999762432 Bytes)
Rebuild:              manual
Device Node:          disk2
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#  DevNode   UUID                                  Status     Size
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0  disk0s2   E2BE8856-F4BD-4AFF-83DF-6C0A117DA24B  Online     199999881216
1  disk1s2   20D52CD0-34B7-4307-8BCA-10DDF46A658A  Online     199999881216
===============================================================================

I can suggest this setup to everyone, its rock solid across OS X versions as well as internal and external boot methods. All functionality of OS X is fully working and functional.

Note that I do not have a recovery drive though, as the installer does not support that option in my configuration. But as mentioned I have an external 16GB USB3 drive with Clover and an OS X installation that I can boot from to quickly repair any issues I might have with the main installation.

So lets see if i have this correct.
install clover on a drive.

make a raid set with disk utility.

clone my working drive to the Raid 0 set.

make a efi (fat 32) partition on both drives of the raid 0 set.

5. install clover on both efi partition of the raid 0 set.

then it should be bootable?

So lets see if i have this correct.
install clover on a drive.

make a raid set with disk utility.

clone my working drive to the Raid 0 set.

make a efi (fat 32) partition on both drives of the raid 0 set.

5. install clover on both efi partition of the raid 0 set.

then it should be bootable?
efi partitions already exist from formatting the drives guid/Mac OS
use Clover installer to install to each EFI partition, copy config.plist and any ACPI->Patched files to the partitions. Make the drivers64.UEFI on the RAID drives match the successful single drive install.

RAID array should not be bootable. If you have a storage drive in non RAID, is easier to just install Clover on the storage drive and set the default volume in Clover config.plist to the RAID volume. You can get the UUID with disk utility

1. Launch OS X installer from USB with Clover
  2. Use Disk Utility to partition the target drives with HFS+
  3. Create a raid partition (either raid 0 or raid 1) across two equally sized partitions on both drives.
    By using a raid partition across partitions instead of entire drives you keep your EFI partition on the raid drives intact.
  4. Pick either one of the drives as your "boot" drive, does not matter which one as long as they are UEFI bootable.
    Install Clover into the EFI partition the "boot" drive.

With the above steps you do not need any additional drive for booting or running Clover with a RAID setup, everything will be running from the 2 drives used for raid.

Obviously I my laptop I did not even have the option to put a 3rd drive for booting since there are only 2 slots.

My drive layout is as follows:
Size Samsung Evo 840 SATA SSD - 1 TB Samsung Evo 840 mSATA SSD - 1TB Notes
200 MB EFI
Empty
FAT
EFI
Clover installation & bootwmgr.efi for Windows
FAT
Created automatically by OS X
200 GB OS X - RAID 0
Partition 1
HFS+
OS - RAID 0
Partition 2
HFS+
Created through Disk utility RAID across partitions
RAID 0, total size 400 GB across 2 drives
800 GB Windows 8.1
NTFS
Storage
HFS+
Normal data partitions

Code:
[FONT=Menlo]/dev/disk0[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *512.1 GB   disk0[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   2:                 Apple_RAID                         60.0 GB    disk0s2[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   3:                 Apple_Boot Boot OS X               134.2 MB   disk0s3[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   4:         Microsoft Reserved                         134.2 MB   disk0s4[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   5:       Microsoft Basic Data Windows                 64.4 GB    disk0s5[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   6:       Microsoft Basic Data Master                  387.2 GB   disk0s6[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]/dev/disk1[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *256.1 GB   disk1[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   2:                 Apple_RAID                         60.0 GB    disk1s2[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   3:                 Apple_Boot Boot OS X               134.2 MB   disk1s3[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   4:                  Apple_HFS MacStorage              128.8 GB   disk1s4[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   5:       Microsoft Basic Data Backup                  66.9 GB    disk1s5[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]/dev/disk2[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   0:                  Apple_HFS OSX_Raid               *120.0 GB   disk2[/FONT]

I had a problem with windows installer. Wasn't able to install it "normal way" I had to use DISM and command line.
So after boot with win8 installer select repair computer and command line
Than, diskpart, select right drive and
create part msr size=128
create part primary size=n where n is your size
list partition
select partition - primary part which you made
format part fs=ntfs quick
assign letter=z
Now find your efi partition where you have clover,select it and assign letter=y
exit
go to you usb drive with windows install file and
dism /apply-image /imagefile:c:\sources\install.esd /index:1 /applydir:z:\
bcdboot z:\Windows /s y:

It could be install.esd or install.wim depend on your iso image.

Everything works fine with my xps 9530 dual ssd and raid 0. boot with efi and clover. no external usb needed

DiskSpeedTest.png

I remember Windows not wanting to install on the disk.It will say it's not a GPT disk.

I used Linux and gpt to rewrite the partition from protective MBR to full GPT.
After that Windows installed fine.

I remember Windows not wanting to install on the disk.It will say it's not a GPT disk.

I used Linux and gpt to rewrite the partition from protective MBR to full GPT.
After that Windows installed fine.

but I installed yosemite first so both drive were gpt. I got some kind of error-don't remember number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back