Contribute
Register

Testing Apple Raid with Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had an old software raid set on 4 drives (strip) back from 10.6 and used it 100% till 10.8 then went to 10.10.2 and it still worked. This raid is not where the booting is taking place, data drive only. Have SSD for the OS.

So I just got 4 more drives to replace my old ones and created the same thing. Clover is hanging at scanning entries.

Was going to turn off scanning .......
I tried all day to add my drives in the GUI of the clover configuration. I cant get them to show up to save my life. I tried every UUID for my disk I could find, all partions. Theres two that show up when you do diskutil info disk0s1 ect .....

Then pressed F2 at clover and got the pciroot from the log. Have no clue what Im really doing but i'm not a noob. Ive never used clover until now. I read every guide I could find including the clover wiki.

Any thoughts ???

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.2 KB · Views: 139
I must be missing something... What are you expecting from Clover? Your array isn't' bootable so why would it be displayed in Clover's GUI? Why do you need any "Custom Menu" entries in your config.plist

I must be missing something... What are you expecting from Clover? Your array isn't' bootable so why would it be displayed in Clover's GUI? Why do you need any "Custom Menu" entries in your config.plist

LOL Im expecting it to stop being dumb and boot like before ...

Ok Could be my wording, this is its doing.

Have a SSD where the OS is. 10.10.2
Have 4 80gb HDD in a software raid.
Clover 3148r installed and working 100% - Data drive dose not sow up, only OS and the Recovery partition.

I pulled out the 80gb HDD and put in 250gb drives.
Booted up fine because it was not in a raid, plus formatted i NTFS.
loaded disk utility, formatted them all to Journaled then add them to the software raid. Rebooted for some reason, and ..... bam. Scanning Entries hang.....
If i unplug 3 of the 4 ... it boots ....

If your 4 80gb HDD in a software raid work fine with Clover then there's something wrong with your process in creating the 250's raid array... I'd hookup one 250 at a time, format them journaled and then build an array again.

If your 4 80gb HDD in a software raid work fine with Clover then there's something wrong with your process in creating the 250's raid array... I'd hookup one 250 at a time, format them journaled and then build an array again.

It was one of the disk locking it up. Slipped through my diagnostic when I unplugged them one by one.

So Plugged each one in, one at a time(rebooted each time); Partition them to GUID, then Formatted to OS X Extended (Journarld)

Replaced the bad drive, re created the raid and wala ! Strip raid up and running. Rebooted to test and clover is working just fine.

Will have to test the disk later and see whats going on with it.

Thanks !

hi there,

i hope this is not too off-topic:

I keep a single drive as the OS drive. How could I get 4 HDDs
into RAID 0 (media drive) without a raid controller?

Is that even possible?

Cheers

hi there,

i hope this is not too off-topic:

I keep a single drive as the OS drive. How could I get 4 HDDs
into RAID 0 (media drive) without a raid controller?

Is that even possible?

Cheers
Writing this from memory, so I may have left a step out:

Connect all 4 drives and boot your system.
Open disk utility, confirm all four drive show up.
Format each drive GUID/OS X Extended (Journaled)
Select the first drive, click on the RAID button
Name your RAID array, drag and drop your drives into the right pane
click on create

So I got things running, but .. :)

Booting from a USB Drive with Clover and the Yosemite installer...

This is what I did with Disk Util:
SSD1
- Partition "Clover": 1GB
- Partition "Raid": Rest of disk

SSD2
- Partition "Empty": 1GB
- Partition "Raid": Rest of disk

Raid 0 named "Mac OS" from both "Raid" partitions.

Then I installed OSX to "Mac OS" .. things worked out fine.

Then I booted (still with the USB drive) into the installed OSX and run the clover installer to install Clover to the "Clover" Partition and set the config to boot from "Mac OS".

I can now boot without the USB drive.. system is running stable and fast but there are still a few things unclear.

1: The "Mac OS" raid carries an EFI folder with Clover, which is a copy from what I have used on the USB drive to install the system. Is this still needed or can I erase it?

2: When I installed Clover to the "Clover" Partition, I could not select to install the init scripts because it wasn't a "bootable OSX Partition system volume". Do I need those init scripts? How can I fix it?

3: Each time I want to update Clover settings on the "Clover" partition I have to reinstall it. After that the installation EFI will be mounted an I get access to the files.. Any other method I tried to mount EFI fails. Is this normal in this kind of setup?

4: OSX didn't install a recovery partition. I was hoping I could install it to the "Empty" partition on disk 2. Is that possible? Do I really need a recovery partition?

All in all I am very with my new system, but I am new to the Hackintosh thing and I am a bit concerned that if I screw things up now, this system will blow up on the next update and I have to reinstall all my precious tools again.

Hope you guys can shed some light into this :)

Kudos to all the hard work the community put into making this happen rather easily!!

Thanks!

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd share my RAID experience here in case anyone is looking for RAID0 tips/help

I can confirm that you do not need a spare hdd/sdd or even a manually created partition for the EFI when installing OSX on a RAID0.

I created a RAID0 in terminal before installing OSX, once the OS was installed I mounted the EFI partitions of all 3 raid drives and copied the "Clover EFI" from the MAC OS X (raid) to the EFI partition.

I can boot straight to the RAID without having a spare drive or without using my usb stick.

When making changes to the config.plist, all you need to do is mount all the efi's located in all the raid disks and clover configurator will see the EFI drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back