Contribute
Register

Testing Apple Raid with Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi, I was using Chimera for Raid 1 on 10.10.5:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-guides/111831-guide-raid-0-os-x-10-8-5-using-tonymacx86-tool-set.html

unibeast is changing to clover on 10.11, is there a guide for setting up raid 1??

Many thanks!!^^

hi, I was using Chimera for Raid 1 on 10.10.5:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-guides/111831-guide-raid-0-os-x-10-8-5-using-tonymacx86-tool-set.html

unibeast is changing to clover on 10.11, is there a guide for setting up raid 1??

Many thanks!!^^

Sure, without a hitch.
Boot up the El capitan installer and before anything open up a terminal:
diskutil AppleRAID create mirror MirrorName JHFS+ disk1 disk2

where you've checked beforehand which drives to use for disk1 and disk2 with:
diskutil list

On both drives an EFI partition is created and clover works just out of the box with your new MirrorName Raid partition. You can exchange MirrorName for anything you wish to use.

Type exit and install on your new drives :)
Boot into the os for the USB drive and install clover/unibeast to make the EFI bootable.

Sure, without a hitch.
Boot up the El capitan installer and before anything open up a terminal:
diskutil AppleRAID create mirror MirrorName JHFS+ disk1 disk2

where you've checked beforehand which drives to use for disk1 and disk2 with:
diskutil list

On both drives an EFI partition is created and clover works just out of the box with your new MirrorName Raid partition. You can exchange MirrorName for anything you wish to use.

Type exit and install on your new drives :)
Boot into the os for the USB drive and install clover/unibeast to make the EFI bootable.

I'm trying to do a mirror RAID install of 10.11.6 and this is not working for me. I have an old Gigabyte board that's not UEFI and I have to use Legacy mode. I think this is the issue. There must be another way to get the install files for Clover installed. When I reboot it hangs like there is not a bootable drive. I think this means the boot0af or whatever boot file is needed is not being found. If anyone has any ideas please share.

Just came across this thread and thought I would chip in.
A separate loader drive is not required at all.

I have a Dell XPS 9530 laptop with a SATA and mSATA slot.

The SATA HDD is replaced with a Samsung EVO840 1TB SATA SSD and the mSATA slot is replaced with a Samsung EVO840 1TB mSATA SSD.

These are configured in SATA AHCI mode in the bios. The AppleRAID is configured as a RAID-0 across 200 GB partitions at the start of each SATA SSD.

View attachment 123192

The speeds are great for bootup and running virtual machines.
It would be faster even with the newer laptops like the Asus which has dual PCIe SSD slots.

I have been running on AppleRAID since Mavericks using Clover and everything works great out of the box.
Booting Clover happens from the AppleRAID drive itself, and from any Clover USB I use for debugging.

Additionally booting an external installation of OS X from USB also mounts and shows the AppleRAID just fine.

I install / update Clover manually, for which I have made quick terminal command:
Code:
alias efi='diskutil mount 79635BDD-02F2-46C4-9DCD-876CD925EC5B'

This alias is in my .bash_profile, so in the terminal I just have to type "efi" to mount the right boot folder.
Note that your GUID would be different and unique to your partition, you can find it in "disk utility -> get info".

This is required because sometimes the drives are detected in a different order, i.e. disk0 is not always disk0 but sometimes becomes disk1.

The disk layout is as follows:
Code:
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                 Apple_RAID                         200.0 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Boot OS X               134.2 MB   disk0s3
   4:                  Apple_HFS Storage                 799.7 GB   disk0s4
/dev/disk1
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                 Apple_RAID                         200.0 GB   disk1s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Boot OS X               134.2 MB   disk1s3
   4:       Microsoft Basic Data Windows 8.1             799.9 GB   disk1s4

The EFI holding Clover in the above view is on /dev/disk1s1. The EFI partition on the other disk is empty.
Note that I am also dual booting with Windows 8.1 (for gaming...)

The AppleRAID is configured as follows:
Code:
AppleRAID sets (1 found)
===============================================================================
Name:                 OS X
Unique ID:            1A47ABAB-FA4C-4AEB-9EC6-711FA476A5E4
Type:                 Stripe
Size:                 400.0 GB (399999762432 Bytes)
Rebuild:              manual
Device Node:          disk2
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#  DevNode   UUID                                  Status     Size
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0  disk0s2   E2BE8856-F4BD-4AFF-83DF-6C0A117DA24B  Online     199999881216
1  disk1s2   20D52CD0-34B7-4307-8BCA-10DDF46A658A  Online     199999881216
===============================================================================

I can suggest this setup to everyone, its rock solid across OS X versions as well as internal and external boot methods. All functionality of OS X is fully working and functional.

Note that I do not have a recovery drive though, as the installer does not support that option in my configuration. But as mentioned I have an external 16GB USB3 drive with Clover and an OS X installation that I can boot from to quickly repair any issues I might have with the main installation.

Hello, i have a functional raid0 Sierra install but my system boots up right randomly (around 1 time on 3).

You said something about "different order" but I didn't good understood what you advise to do.

I boot OS X on my RAID0 partition without problem (when it boots).

A strange thing is when I check my partitions scheme with Paragon Partition manager the hidden EFI looks to be at the end of the physical disk... Weird

My system:

2 SSD
diskxs0: Hidden EFI
diskxs1: 1GB Fat partition
diskxs2: OSX

...Make the drivers64.UEFI on the RAID drives match the successful single drive install...

Hello,

Sorry what do you mean?

I have random boot problem with my RAID0 system....

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back