Contribute
Register

Test Report: ASUS P8Z77-I Mini-ITX + 3570K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I am new here btw... (First post...)

I have thoroughly looked at the two Z77 ITX possibilities and have decided on the ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe because of its compatibility with 10.7.3 and 10.7.4. I was Wondering if any of you would be willing to look at my planned setup and tell me if anything is incompatible.

Main:
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
CPU: i5 2500K (from an old build)
GPU: On-board Graphics 3000
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8 GB (2x4 GB from an old build)
SSD: SAMSUNG 830 Series (64 GB)
Case: Bitfenix Prodigy
PSU: w/e anything works

Other:
2 TB HDD

500 GB HDD
500 GB HDD

Could I raid these two for Windows 7 somehow?

Thanks for any help up front, and I would like to confirm that sleep works as long as i do some simple kext patching?

skazazes97 said:
Hey guys, I am new here btw... (First post...)

I have thoroughly looked at the two Z77 ITX possibilities and have decided on the ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe because of its compatibility with 10.7.3 and 10.7.4. I was Wondering if any of you would be willing to look at my planned setup and tell me if anything is incompatible.

Main:
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
CPU: i5 2500K (from an old build)
GPU: On-board Graphics 3000
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8 GB (2x4 GB from an old build)
SSD: SAMSUNG 830 Series (64 GB)
Case: Bitfenix Prodigy
PSU: w/e anything works

Other:
2 TB HDD

500 GB HDD
500 GB HDD

Could I raid these two for Windows 7 somehow?

Thanks for any help up front, and I would like to confirm that sleep works as long as i do some simple kext patching?
You should be OK on everything to install, but there is no sleep for an ASUS 77 board until someone cracks the MSR lock on the BIOS and the inability to flash a modded BIOS to the board. Best you can do is add a speed stepper for minimal power management.

As for the RAID - the answer is no. You would have to make all 4 ports set as RAID in BIOS, and then OS X wouldn't install. Neither would OS X recognize the Win drives as a RAID array.
Are you wanting to RAID for performance or data security? If data security, better to get a NAS.

Could you explain the power management a little more, i'm a noob.

And could i put the to drives in raid and use them as storage for OS X and use the other HDD for windows?

skazazes97 said:
Could you explain the power management a little more, i'm a noob.

And could i put the to drives in raid and use them as storage for OS X and use the other HDD for windows?
Power management allows the cpu to idle at a lesser state and draw less power when it is not being used. Therefore less power usage.

If you are going to raid the 2 500Gb drives with OS X disk utility, you will be able to do that, and use the other drive for Win7 if you want, but I would still sugest a NAS. Be aware, however, that Win7 will not "see" these drives.

I've decided on just keeping them as separate drives... Probably in NFTS so i can use them in windows and OS X

You should be OK on everything to install, but there is no sleep for an ASUS 77 board until someone cracks the MSR lock on the BIOS and the inability to flash a modded BIOS to the board. Best you can do is add a speed stepper for minimal power management.
UPDATE
BIOS has been cracked and successfully modified. Now runing without DSDT or NullCPUPowermanagement.kext is possible thanks to Revogirl and others who worked on the problem.

UPDATE
BIOS has been cracked and successfully modified. Now runing without DSDT or NullCPUPowermanagement.kext is possible thanks to Revogirl and others who worked on the problem.

Does this mean that sleep and speedstep will work on this board now? Apart from the wireless card, is there anything to stop me going out and buying it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back