i7 4790K 4GHz
Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Team Fortress 2 crashes repeatedly [workaround found!]

Team Fortress 2 crashes on my Hackintosh repeatedly after around 20 minutes. I don't get any error except hl2_osx stopped working. I didn't have this bug on my old iMac and all other graphic applications are running perfectly on my hackintosh.

What I already did:

- Completely reinstall Steam and all of it support files
- reset TF2 settings (Cloud sync disabled)
- Get the latest nVidia drivers

I've set GraphicsEnabler = Yes, setting it to No, makes my graphics card not output any signal after boot, so I can't try changing this setting (except someone got a fix ready, of course :D).

That's my config:

Gigabyte GBT GA-H77-DS3H
Crucial CT512M4SSD2 512GB SSD
Intel Core i7-3770K Prozessor 3,5GHz
EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 Graphics Card 2,5GB GDDR5 vRAM
4x Corsair Vengeance RAM 8GB 1600MHz

Have you run this with any other Steam game or any other game in general?
Plus have you checked the Steam Support forum as well to see if there are any other issues with users?

I only say all of this because it seems like it is a specific item.

What version of OS X are you running?

Hey thanks for the quick answer and sorry for my late reply but I guess I need to do a bit more testing before I know if only TF2, the Source-engine or Graphic Applications in general are the root of this problem. Infrequent crashes are hard to track down and the Steam forums aren't really helpful, especially since every second post is "oh yu dumb****s all bought macs yu so stupit" but I guess, I'll ask the support directly today.

@studiosecond: I'm running 10.8.2

Team Fortress 2 crashes repeatedly [workaround found!]

Ok I did A LOT more testing and discovered that other Source-Games like CS:GO, Day of Defeat: Source and Portal 2 were running without crashes, so it's a TF2-specific bug.

Here's a workaround I found on Valve's forums: you need to add -window as a start option to TF2. That'll make the game run in windowed mode and not crash all the time. A few pixels on the bottom of the window will be cut off, to fix this, you need to add -h [your screen height in pixels minus 45] to the start options. So in my case, the start options are:

Code:
-window -h 1395

I hope this helps anyone.

The support also replied to me with a stupid guide that I already read. I will reply to them that this is in fact a bug and they should finally fix it and treat OS X as a tier1 platform just as they promised to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back