Contribute
Register

Switching between Mobo GFX and PCIe GFX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte P67A-UD3P-B3
CPU
i72600K
Graphics
GTX770
Hi all, I'm currently running a Mountain Lion / High Sierra system and would like to upgrage my GFX from a GTX770. If I do this, then I won't be able to use the new GFX in Mountain Lion.

What is involved in switching between mobo GFX and PCIe GFX?

Can it be selected at boot so that you can run different OSX versions determined by GFX requirements?

Thanks for any insight anyone can offer.

Hi all, I'm currently running a Mountain Lion / High Sierra system and would like to upgrade my GFX from a GTX770. If I do this, then I won't be able to use the new GFX in Mountain Lion.

Can it be selected at boot so that you can run different OSX versions determined by GFX requirements?

What graphics card do you intend to upgrade to? If you want to continue to run High Sierra the card must be supported by High Sierra, like a RX 580.

Your motherboard (A P67 based motherboard) does not support CPU integrated graphics, even though your i7 2600K CPU has it (A quirk in Sandy Bridge motherboards).

So if you want to use the CPU integrated graphics in your CPU (To run Mountain Lion presumably?) then you will have to replace your motherboard with one that has a graphics port and based on chipsets that support using CPU integrated graphics, like Z68 / H67. These motherboards are old and no longer available new.

Hi all, I'm currently running a Mountain Lion / High Sierra system and would like to upgrage my GFX from a GTX770. If I do this, then I won't be able to use the new GFX in Mountain Lion.

Maybe you should check this out >

multiple-macos.png

Believe it or not, this was done by someone a few days ago and posted on ****** who ran their VMs/emulators all on Big Sur. Could this be an answer to your issues?

Thanks. Yes, I'm looking at upgrading my MOBO but keeping my CPU and Ram etc.. The benefits would be UEFI (rather than legacy), possible Thunderbolt 2, On board USB 3.0 (likely to be able to get working in HS).

So if I rephrase the question:

If I have a build with:

i72600K, H67 or Z68 chipset and HD3000 GFX and a GTX 1080Ti is it possible to boot into Mountain Lion using HD3000 and High Sierra using 1080Ti without having to open up the case and start taking things out or swapping them around?

Can I, via clover/software/bios or something, choose which GFX I want to boot with (or boot into) - and thus have a dual boot system with ML10.8.5 running from HD3000 and HS10.13.6 running from 1080Ti?

Or could I have a PCI GFX (NOT PCI-e) like the EVGA GeForce 6200 PCI? (ATI RADEON X1300 PCI)?
And use that for the ML and a 1080Ti for High Sierra?

Thanks for any help or insight anyone can offer.

(ps. I appreciate the virtual box/parallels etc. idea, but it's not for me).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back