Contribute
Register

Successful El Capitan install suddenly refuses to boot... (verbose inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H
CPU
i5-3570K
Graphics
HD 7850 TF
I have run into a bit of a weird problem with a successful install of El Capitan on an SSD. It's been working fine for about 6 weeks, but when I returned from vacation my sound/network suddenly broke, and then after trying to fix those (nothing serious, just moving kexts to my EFI partition etc...) the system now will not boot. I also can't boot into recovery partition, although I can still boot into my old Yosemite install which is on another HDD in the same machine (and its audio/network still works fine).

My hardware is in my sig; verbose text looks like this:

rdL42wR.jpg

Anyone see anything obvious that might've gone wrong? I was hoping to get network/audio working so I could upgrade to Sierra but I guess this is now more important...!

Ok, I tried doing that but still no luck. On a slightly unrelated note, I also found that my Yosemite EFI partition was empty... Does this mean I might have installed the Yosemite build in Legacy mode? The EFI folder in the HDD was populated but no kexts so I'm unsure... But if so, and Yosemite seems to be working fine, do you think this might mean I'd have more luck with installing Sierra in Legacy mode? I thought all UEFI capable systems should try to do EFI mode where possible.....?? But just wondering if that's why my Yosemite build on HDD has always worked without issue but I keep having problems/losing systems with UEFI on SSD....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back