Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS!] Yosemite on i7-4790K, Asus GRYPHON Z97, EVGA GTX 980 (Unibeast)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
EVOLV
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
EVGA GTX 980
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
[SUCCESS!] Yosemite on i7-4790K, Asus GRYPHON Z97, GTX 980 (Unibeast)

Hey all,

Just finished my first Hackintosh install using the Unibeast/Multibeast method. Ran pretty smoothly once I got my BIOS settings right and temporarily removed my graphics and sound cards, which allowed the OS X installer to boot without error.
Screen Shot 2015-01-19 at 4.25.07 AM.pngIMG_2417 2.jpg
The Hardware:
MOBO: Asus GRYPHON Z97
CPU: Intel Core i7-4970K
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0
AUDIO: Onboard, Asus Xonar Essence STX [Unsupported, but boots with it installed]
RAM: Corsair Dominator 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 1600 (CMP16GX3M2A1600C11)
SSD: OCZ Vertex 256GB​

The Guide:
I generally followed the tonymacx86 10.10 Installation Guide

Notable BIOS changes:

Forced OS Type to "Other OS"
Disabled Intel Virtualization Technology - Temporary (re-enabled once install was complete)
Forced use of Integrated Graphics (IGFX) - Temporary (see below)
Disabled Intel Gigabit Ethernet - Temporary (see below)​

Temporary Hardware changes:
To get the OS X installer to boot without error, I temporarily disabled on-board Ethernet in the BIOS and removed my GPU and sound card until I had finished the install process and installed drivers with MultiBeast and installed the latest Nvidia WebDrivers.

UniBeast flags used:
I needed to use these to successfully boot the OS X installer. Additionally, I used them to boot into Safe Mode for the first few native boots while I installed drivers:
Code:
-x -v -GraphicsEnabler=No

Multibeast Configuration:
Screen Shot 2015-02-02 at 1.02.23 AM.png

After installing all drivers, I removed the bootable UniBeast USB from my PC and I was able to boot directly from the SSD without creating an EFI partition using the latest BIOS... sweet!

Hi H4wke!

Congrats for your build! :clap:

I'm planning to build a Hackintosh with similar components you used, the same mobo and cpu, but using the integrated sound controller instead and a modest graphics card :p.

After using your hackintosh for a few days, what's your impression? is everything working fine? is stable?

Have you try to play games in Hackintosh (not windows)?

My intention is mainly use it for work (developing and system administration) but I want to be able to play games too, without need to switch to windows (I use to play games that works on mac, as Starcraft II).

Regards!

Thanks!

Yeah up and running smoothly.

Everything is perfectly stable except for the sleep function, which turns the system on immediately after turning off. After doing some reading, it is probably caused by one of the USB devices I have plugged in. Overall not a huge problem for me since I dual boot often and the system is fast enough so that sleep is a bit redundant anyways. Upon resuming from "sleep" the onboard sound does not work. This is a pretty common problem with some well defined solutions but I haven't bothered to fix it because, again, I don't need the sleep function to begin with. So yeah, just disabled sleep in System Preferences and all good.

Other than than that, the integrated sound works just fine.

I also did some basic graphics benchmarks using the GTX 980 and Unigen Valley. It ran smoothly but with a bit less performance than I was getting on Win 8.1. Still fairly impressive for a hackintosh running an unsupported card. Onboard video works fine as well for desktop apps, although I haven't tested it with any 3D apps. I'd imagine it works just fine as well.

So far, been using it for Xcode development and works like a charm!

Good luck! Let us know if you run into any issues.

Yesterday I received my Gryphon Z97, I will open a new thread for my build, however, a few comments:

• My Mobo came with 1008 BIOS version, and I was able to install Yosemite following your advice and with the general guide, however, I couldn´t boot from my SSD without the USB drive until I updated BIOS to the latest version from Windows (currently 2101). After that, system is booting smoothly.
  • I have a Gforce GTX550 TI, but I wasn't able to make it works (even with the webdrivers). I'm waiting for my new GForce GTX960, I will try with that.
  • Suspension mode works fine, but I'm not able to boot up again from apple bluetooth mouse/keyboard, but it works from an USB keyboard.
  • After suspension mode, sound is not working, I had to reboot in order to get it work again.
  • Network is working just perfect, transferring @ 120MB/s from my NAS to my computer.
  • Integrated graphic card works fine, I was able to connect up to 3 monitors (2 x 1080P, 1 x 2K). After a reboot one of the screens shows crap, but after reconnect cable again (forcing to re-detect screens) worked fine again. I tried Starcraft2 @ 1080P with high graphics detail and ran very smoothly.
  • USB3 ports seems to be working fine. Didn´t try speed yet.

I will wait until I see the three screens working with the nvidia card, but for the moment, I'm optimistically happy :p.

Regards

Good to hear!

You might want to check here for the no audio after sleep/wake issue. Not sure if anything in there works but worth a try if it's important to you:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/151504-no-audio-after-sleep-wake-realtek-alc-applehda-fixes.html

A quick update on my Multibeast settings, I manually removed the "Generate CPU States" option by going to /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist and setting GenerateCStates=No and GeneratePStates=No. Apparently this is the recommended setting for Haswell stability. However, I haven't noticed a difference so far.

Let us know how that GTX 960 works!

Hello everyone,

I ordered this board as well as the Thunderbolt card a few months ago and finally got a 4690K so that I could slap it together... :D

I used a fresh install of 10.10.2 and the process went relatively smooth, aside from needing to boot into safe mode before using MultiBeast and then having the boot0 Error- situation (which was solved after implementing the first suggestion in the following thread).

As of now, I'm am using on-board sound and graphics, but I will be installing an Asus GTX 970 mini-ITX once I make sure everything is smooth..

The one issue I'm having right now is during bootup, the white screen which appears before going into the desktop momentarily flashes and displays the following image:

Gryphon-Z97-Screenshot.jpg

Any ideas as to why this is the case? Or is this due to the fact that the Z97 platform is fully natively support in OS X?

But, since I plan on installing a GTX970, there's a good chance that this issue may not continue?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Looks similar to what I was seeing with integrated graphics when booting into safe mode. It's only momentary and then all is normal? My guess is that the issue will not happen with the 970.

I installed my GTX 960 yesterday, and I executed some benchmarks before and after it... the improvement is just amazing!

I still need to check the stability of the system (so far, so good) and the sleep/wakeup, but I'm happy at the moment with the results, the integrated graphic card gave max 9FPS in the test, and the Nvidia around 90-110FPS max @ 1080P.

However, now is slower loading the system, I can see that the line that shows the load progress is much more slower than when I was using the integrated card, but anyway, it loads and after that works perfectly fine (with the NVidia drivers, without them it doesn't work).

I will open a new thread with my build, including the screenshots of the benchmark to keep this thread clean ;).

Regards!

Great thanks for the feedback! Are any of you guys running 10.10.2 yet? From what I've been reading, it seems as if some folks are having trouble getting thins to work with the update and new web drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back