Register

[SUCCESS] Yosemite on GA-Z97X-UD3H / i5-4690 / GTX660

Status
Not open for further replies.
Success for me today after much trial and error. My system:

GA-Z97X-UD3H
i5-4690K
4x2gb G.Skill F3 12800CL9D
Samsung 830 SSD (Samsung 850 Pro SSD for Win 8.1 boot)
Geforce GTX 660 2gb

This is a new mobo and cpu for me. I wish I would have looked at this thread before installing. I put the computer together and it would not boot. Ultimately I discovered this was related to the memory. No matter what I did I could not get the computer to boot with more than 2 sticks. Finally I tried 1 stick and I could install os x. I used the most current version on Unibeast and I booted with -x. I kept getting a "Essentials.pkg" error with about 10 minutes of install left. After searching the forums here I found a fix for the "Essentials.pkg" error. I booted with the "-x -no-zp" flag and the install completed. I then ran the newest MultiBeast with the options listed here and I'm good.

As far as I can tell everything is working except the USB 3.0 ports coming off the USB 3.0 header of motherboard. I have 3.0 ports on front of computer coming from this header and they are not working. I have put another stick of ram in so I'm at 4 gb. When ever I try putting in 4 sticks it will not boot. I suspect this is motherboard/ram issue though because it will not even boot.

@fliptwister

I have experienced the same issue of "Essentials.pkg". And both of my USB drive experienced this issue. Also I tried to make install usb driver via UniBeast several times.

At last, the method of pluging off other RAMs worked and I did not experience
"Essentials.pkg" any more.

Hi good folks,

I'm working on a video-server build (QLab / Adobe CS6 / DaVinci) with:
Gigabyte Z97X-UD3h-BK
i7 4790 3.6 GHz
Asus GTX760-DCMOC-2GD5
2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz (CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10)
Kingston mSATA 120GB SSD
2 x WD Red 3TB - Striped RAID
1 x WD Black 1TB - Backup
PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 550W
Behringer FCA1616 audio interface
OS X 10.10.1

It I wasn't successful.
I removed the GTX760 to make sure it's not the graphics that freezes the system.
Also removed FCA1616 during install and testing.
Same problem. Random freezes all the times.

Sometimes 5 times in a row without using the computer for more than five minutes.

Sometimes a day without a single freeze.

Can't lay my finger on what's causing the problems.

Have to say though that it hardly bothers me because my system restarts in 20 seconds and all the windows open just as I left them. Yay for OSX considering that.

Same problem. Random freezes all the times.

Sometimes 5 times in a row without using the computer for more than five minutes.

Sometimes a day without a single freeze.

Can't lay my finger on what's causing the problems.

Have to say though that it hardly bothers me because my system restarts in 20 seconds and all the windows open just as I left them. Yay for OSX considering that.

Hi Steedy,

What install are you using?

I'm currently using Clover, with a MacPro3,1 SMbios on OSX 10.10.1
also tried iMac14,2 and MacPro5,1
All with the same random freezes as with using UniBeast / MultiBeast.

Freezes on Haswell systems are common due to the tighter specifications in Intel's Haswell processors and 8/9-series motherboard chipsets. Make sure you have:
  1. Memory make/model # on the Gigabyte motherboard's memory supported list, and
  2. PSU is rated Haswell "ready" or "certified".
Finally, if the above two criteria are satisfied, but the freezes continue, set the GeneratePStates and GenerateCStates to No in the /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist file. But, only make this change if the other two items are compliant with Haswell ratings.

Hi, Followed same process..

For new guys to elaborate more:

At step 4 Install OS X Yosemite
"
-x GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=1"

AS i had 1 TB hdd so got boot error so got it corrected by following method....

1. Install using UniBeast
2. Boot new installation using UniBeast created USB.
3. Run MultiBeast and install as normal
4. Reboot system back into OS X installer.
5. Run Disk Utility and unmount the drive you installed OS X on. Right click on the volume and select Unmount.
6. Launch Terminal and execute the following command:

Code:
dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2

7. Exit Terminal
8. Reboot Normally

Now machine is working
fine. doing testing with some of my softwares like draft sight , gimp, inkscape etc.

Thanks a lot

Freezes on Haswell systems are common due to the tighter specifications in Intel's Haswell processors and 8/9-series motherboard chipsets. Make sure you have:
  1. Memory make/model # on the Gigabyte motherboard's memory supported list, and
  2. PSU is rated Haswell "ready" or "certified".
Finally, if the above two criteria are satisfied, but the freezes continue, set the GeneratePStates and GenerateCStates to No in the /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist file. But, only make this change if the other two items are compliant with Haswell ratings.

Hi Stork,

Thanks for your reaction.
Yes, memory and PSU are supported / certified.
Also, tested with other memory, other CPU, with and without GTX760, other SSD, HDD.
I think I can say with certainty that it isn't a hardware issue.

I started with Mavericks, now Yosemite.
Tried UniBeast / MultiBeast,
now Clover.
Tried SMBIOS MacPro3,1 / 5,1 / iMac14,2

Can you please have a look at my config.plist and console kernel panic reports ??
View attachment Z97X-UD3H-BK_4790_GTX760.zip

Hi Stork,

Thanks for your reaction.
Yes, memory and PSU are supported / certified.
Also, tested with other memory, other CPU, with and without GTX760, other SSD, HDD.
I think I can say with certainty that it isn't a hardware issue.

I started with Mavericks, now Yosemite.
Tried UniBeast / MultiBeast,
now Clover.
Tried SMBIOS MacPro3,1 / 5,1 / iMac14,2

Can you please have a look at my config.plist and console kernel panic reports ??
View attachment 115863
I'm not a Clover user, so my help may not be useful. In your config.plist, I see that your P & C States are set to No . So, if I understand that setting, it's the same as what as I recommended.

Also, in your config.plist it says your boot flags are "-v dart=0 kext-dev-mode=1" but your kernel panic shows those flags plus "slide=0" which I've never seen before - must be something that Clover does. Thus, I'm at a lose as to what's causing your panics. I recommend you post your problem in the Alternative Bootloader forum section > http://www.tonymacx86.com/alternate-bootloaders/.

One last thought, I don't know how you do this with Clover, but try booting with UseKernelCache=No.

Hey All,

So I have the same board except the processor is an i7 4790K and 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance.
I cannot get to the installation screen. Im using only one memory stick, no Video card at the moment (Future card is GTX 750). I have tried -x -v maxmem=4096. Tried - x PCIRootUID=1, nothing I never get to the Install page. The only possible way to get to the install is this -v -x cpus=1. In fact the computer doesn't even flinch when using this command. Installing is good without any errors of decompressing the installation pkg, etc. I'm fine doing this for the install but do I have to stick with the cpus=1? I wish someone will reply here to help me out with the appropriate steps and flags to boot this thing without the cpus=1 flag.

Im using yosemite install created Unibeast and as per this guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/445-unibeast-install-os-x-yosemite-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

BIOS is set as per the guide as well, the rev I'm running is Version 7 .

Thanks

I have the same motherboard as you. However mine will lockup very soon after booting. I am trying to run multibeast and your settings but it locks up before I can make them. Removing one 8GB module did help me get it installed. With 2x8G However it locks up fairly quickly after boot.

Which bios version are you using?
which memory slots grey or black for the 2 modules?
After loading optimized defaults in bios are you making any changes?

Any further info appreciated.

My Config:
ga-z97x-ud3h-bk
2 x 8GB ram tried g.skill and kensington hyperx
evo 840 250GB ssd
i5-4670K
evga gtx 760
corsair cx600 ps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back