Contribute
Register

Success: X58A-UD7 + High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Downloaded the GM today and tried to run the app. Installer insisted I had to reboot to install a firmware update first. Rebooting to update firmware on nonexistent hardware being an exercise in futility I saved the config.plist, changed to Mac Pro 6,1 system definition and rebooted. Install app worked like a charm with one reboot during the install process.
Edited the original MacPro5,1 config.plist to remove the audio patches, replaced the 6,1 with the 5,1 system definition and rebooted. Naturally, no audio, so I ran toleda's script again and I have audio.
iTunes, movie player, messages, Siri, all work. Not having another Apple device I have no way to check handoff.
Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 11.49.15 AM.png

I just can't get past a black screen. maybe I am not waiting long enough? DMOS arrives , after some sound assertion errors, but then no matter what I try, just a black screen. I can see the monitors have not gone to sleep... was reading your method bald, about creating an installer and installing clover to it ... will a direct upgrade from the app store not work?

Update - sleep/wake and hibernate/wake work well - no problems with video/audio on wake-up.

I just can't get past a black screen. maybe I am not waiting long enough? DMOS arrives , after some sound assertion errors, but then no matter what I try, just a black screen. I can see the monitors have not gone to sleep... was reading your method bald, about creating an installer and installing clover to it ... will a direct upgrade from the app store not work?
A direct upgrade from the app store (updates) was how I did most of the updates from HSPB.2 to .7. Creating the USB installer was just to make sure it could be done that way for first time installers.
You can also download the complete installer app from the Beta program and run it directly to do the update.

Note: you do have to remove audio patches in your config.plist and re-run toleda's patch script to get audio back.

aaaah, joy..... so glad to see you trailblazing on this GB..... can you link me to the toleda script please (im lost in the depth of the audio threads and not sure where to find it) and then im looking forward to following you with my x58......
ta

See pinned guide in the High Sierra Desktop Support forum.

since I am on SSD, that means that it will automatically convert to APFS, right ?

since I am on SSD, that means that it will automatically convert to APFS, right ?
Since it is still Beta until official release I have not yet installed it on SSD - just some 150GB platter drives I have laying around.
It does not convert platter drives unless you choose to do it. I do not at this time have a spare SSD to experiment with.

Last edited:
Just finished installation of Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.0 on a Samsung 840 Pro SSD.
SSD was first formatted HFS+, then the main partition was erased APFS before installation with the installer disk utility.
Once the installation completed, installed Clover downloaded today from Sourceforge in Legacy Mode and chose to install in the ESP. When finished, I copied the EFI/Clover files from the install USB to the SSD EFI/Clover folder and rebooted.
Booting the board firmware takes same time as with a HDD, but the handoff to Clover takes longer - the APFS driver has to load before the Clover screen. Once the Clover screen hits, timer times out and the remaining boot time is very short - only a second or two before I am looking at the login screen - hardly see the Apple screen at all.
SSD performance is disappointing in Black Magic Speed Test and GeekBench3 results are hardly better then SL on a HDD.
Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 11.46.24 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 11.58.56 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 12.03.59 PM.png

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 290
GA-X58A-UD7 uses an IDCH10r south bridge... did you have any issues installing from USB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back