Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] ThriftyMac - HP dc7900 - £100 - 10.9.4 Mavericks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you try the VoodooHDA kext from Post #36 ?

Thanks. I tried that this evening but the sound was only marginally better. I googled "Clover audio issues" and apparently the choppy sound is a somewhat common clover problem. Most of the solutions I found online are for Realtek audio chipsets and I don't think that the DC7900 has one. Other ones implied modifying the DSDT and that is way above my competence level. I reinstalled Chimera, deleted the EFI partition and everything is back to normal. The bonus is that the recovery partition Clover created is still there and now I can use Find my Mac :-D

There is a microcode update available on the HP website if you haven't already installed it - Link

BTW : According to the guide the Q9650 3.0 Ghz is supported in the CMT.

Its QX9650 and my DC7900 is the SFF which is 786G motherboard (your link is for DC7800)

This is the one. http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=vc_90084_1#tab2 I will try that.. Thanks for the inspiration :)

EDIT: The latest BIOS contains the microcode update I think as I have the "latest" 1.01 microcode and therefore it allegedly should allow it to work with QX9650.

http://www.cpu-world.com/cgi-bin/CPUID.pl?CPUID=48355 says CPU ID is 10676 and the HP link says "Updates the Intel Processor microcode for processors having CPU IDs 6FB, 6FD, 10676, 10677, and 1067A."

So obviously something else prevents this working.... and BSEL modding my Q6600 to 3GHz isnt working :(

Last edited:
It didnt work anyway :(
Ooops, my bad - Sorry - Thanks for the correct link.

EDIT: I successfully BSEL modded my Q6600 to 333 FSB (so at 3GHz) without any voltage tweaks needed (keeping temps down) and so at least I have the performance I wanted from the Q9650/QX9650... so I can sell the QX9650 on... But I would not advise anyone to bother with a QX9650 for this system

Last edited:
DC7900-Sierra.png

I really wasn't expecting this but nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Upgraded seamlessly through the App Store.
Just a reminder that this is a Core 2 Quad Q8200 running as an iMac10,1.
Who would have thought it ?

You succeeded with clover or unibeast
I upgraded through the App Store.

Hello again P1LGRIM, I have not posted for a while but I saw your last post about sierra. You upgraded through the store from what? I am still on El Cap. I guess I could make a complete backup and then try this.

Love the fact that your still playing with the dc7900. Thanks

Hello again P1LGRIM, I have not posted for a while but I saw your last post about sierra. You upgraded through the store from what? I am still on El Cap. I guess I could make a complete backup and then try this.

I upgraded from El Capitan to Sierra.

Love the fact that your still playing with the dc7900

I'm not stretching it too much, I just use it as a backup server.

View attachment 212845
I really wasn't expecting this but nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Upgraded seamlessly through the App Store.
Just a reminder that this is a Core 2 Quad Q8200 running as an iMac10,1.
Who would have thought it ?

One last question before I push the install button P1LGRIM, is your reminder of the Core 2 Quad Q8200 significant?

My DC7900 is a Core 2 Duo @3mhz
Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 12.55.48 AM.png

James

One last question before I push the install button P1LGRIM, is your reminder of the Core 2 Quad Q8200 significant?

My DC7900 is a Core 2 Duo @3mhz
View attachment 228352

James
Sierra demands a processor that has SSE4 support - You need to check that.

And your GT 610 won't work in Sierra.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back