Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Spballer's Build: GA-Z97X-GAMING-GT / i7-4790k / Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 SC

Status
Not open for further replies.
r u getting random freezes or not ???
I have been, I'm considering trying Clover to see if it fixes it. I will get one freeze every few days or so.

If I have an external HD plugged in it can get a lot worse, I think I may have a USB issue as well as something else. I'm so busy I just have to live with the freezes until I get some time to try a different setup. :rolleyes:

Make sure your memory is on both the Gigabyte Z97X-GAMING-GT Memory Support List and your memory's motherboard support list. Check also that your power supply is rated Haswell "ready" or "compatible." Both of these items can contribute to what's known as the Haswell freeze.

Make sure your memory is on both the Gigabyte Z97X-GAMING-GT Memory Support List and your memory's motherboard support list. Check also that your power supply is rated Haswell "ready" or "compatible." Both of these items can contribute to what's known as the Haswell freeze.
My power supply is 100% Haswell ready and I thought I had compatible memory but now not so sure.
I bought the first of these two -
g.skill f3-1866c10d-16gsr - http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-1866c10d-16gsr
g.skill f3-1866c10d-16gab - http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-1866c10d-16gab

The only difference I could find on these two is the one I bought is a lower profile.
All the specs seem to be the same.
But the one I bought isn't listed as supported and the gab is.

This is the list of supported memory for this board, do you think it's possible there are some differences not listed in the specs?

My power supply is 100% Haswell ready and I thought I had compatible memory but now not so sure.
I bought the first of these two -
g.skill f3-1866c10d-16gsr - http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-1866c10d-16gsr
g.skill f3-1866c10d-16gab - http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-1866c10d-16gab

The only difference I could find on these two is the one I bought is a lower profile.
All the specs seem to be the same.
But the one I bought isn't listed as supported and the gab is.

This is the list of supported memory for this board, do you think it's possible there are some differences not listed in the specs?
Remove the GSR sticks for a while to see if the freezes continue. If not, then it was the sticks.

Remove the GSR sticks for a while to see if the freezes continue. If not, then it was the sticks.
It's the only sticks I have unfortunately.
Maybe I need to contact G.Skill and ask if the only difference is the profile and stress testing.
Are there any log errors that point towards it being memory related?

I do have some non-seagate internal storage drives, could they also create freezes, I find WD USB drives can lock things up.

Maybe I need to contact G.Skill and ask if the only difference is the profile and stress testing...
I concur.

Hello.

So I'm still having no luck with three things.
1. I don't have a brightness slider. What did you do to get it working?
2. Plugging in a USB3.0 device causes a complete freeze and/or a KP.
3. The boot screen is no longer stretched after installing a theme and changing the resolution to my full monitor resolution, yet it is still displaying quite pixelated and low res, just not stretched anymore.

Can you or anyone else help me here?
Otherwise this thing is working very well.

Thanks,
rogue

MAJOR THANKS to SPBaller for your great tutorial! I am have a (seemingly) working CustomMac Pro with a GTX970 running thanks to your thread. I've been following it for months now, and I took the plunge today and it installed, first time!

GA-Z97X-UD5H
i7 4790K
Gigabyte GTX970
16gb Ballistix
Samsung Evo 250gb SSD
Crucial 250gb SSD (Win 8.1)
1tb Barracude HDD (Storage)
Corsair RM650
Wifi Card

Special shout out to Stork for all his words of wisdom! Thanks!

I just added the ethernet kext, and 'bam', works like a charm!

-Wifi is working
-ethernet is working
-audio is working (not through HDMI tho)
-sleep and wake are working,
-appstore login is working, downloading apps working
-blackmagic speed test buried the needle on both read/write (maxed out)

VERY very happy all in all. Much less painful than I was expecting.

Though, I am aware I have yet to install FCPX or After Effects on it yet to stress test it. Lets hope it holds out, but so far so good. It kind of feels like I'm holding a grenade with the pin out. Not sure when its gonna blow!

I'm also running a dual-boot, even though I checked 'boot loader', in the Chimera screen I have to click on System Reserved Partition to boot into Win8. If I click on Windows NTFS it won't boot. Strange! (Though, I accidentally installed windows 8 onto SSD while the 1TB storage drive was plugged in and it installed the system recovery on that drive, and the boot files on the SSD)

But so far, thanks SPBaller, I'm sure to be back on with here with panicked questions!

I spoke to soon!

The system and boot loader were all running beautifully. Running the last few days really solid!

Today I got a bluetooth dongle 4.0 for my BT keyboard. Plugged in, and it worked out of the box in Yosemite. Picked up the keyboard, and all was good.

So I booted into Win 8.1 and installed the bluetooth driver from the CD (WIDCOMM BLUETOOTH SOFTWARE)

Got the dongle and keyboard working perfectly in Win 8.1.

Then tried to boot into Yosemite, and now it just hangs about half way, then switches off the computer. Even with verbose mode, it switches itself off.

I tried a windows System Restore to an earlier point, then a full system recovery on the Win 8.1 partition, hoping to undo whatever had been changed, but still won't boot.

Any suggestions, before I reformat and reinstall Yosemite 10.10.2?

Thanks very much in advance

EDIT:
I tried to boot into the USB stick with MultiBeast and Yosemite Installer during the boot loader, after booting for a few minutes it goes to this error page.
How is this affecting the USB stick too? (I can still boot into win 8.1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back