Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Spballer's Build: GA-Z97X-GAMING-GT / i7-4790k / Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 SC

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5
CPU
Intel i7 4790K
Graphics
Evga GTX 970 S.C
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi! I've built exactly the same system as you spballer, and I've almost had no problems during the install and after that. Unfortunately, one week after everything was configured, the system just froze. And from that point, it started to freeze much more frequently. I made changes in BIOS, i.e. dropped the RAM frequency from 1800 to 1600 MHz, and change RAM voltage from1.5 to 1.6 volt. I've changed the system def from Mac Pro3.1 to iMac 14,2. But the freezes still occur...
Lately, the freezes haven't been that frequent as before. Perhaps every third day. These freezes occur very randomly and I don't know what things is causing this problem..
I´ve had no problems with kernel panics after installation. It always boots fine!

I'm at Yosemite 10.10.5.

Edit.
I run windows 10 on one ssd and mac osx on the other. I also have one hard drive (barracuda), partitioned in mac, where I save music projects etc.
The things is, in win 10 I have no problems with freezing, so I am almost sure of that something is wrong in mac os.. :roll2:

Last edited:
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
For me the issue was and still occasionally is the ethernet port on this motherboard. If I use my wifi card no crashes (running clover improved my stability as well).

Maybe post the error report as there are some pretty experienced folks that can give you some clues. When you reboot after a freeze it should give you the option to view the report.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5
CPU
Intel i7 4790K
Graphics
Evga GTX 970 S.C
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Maybe post the error report as there are some pretty experienced folks that can give you some clues. When you reboot after a freeze it should give you the option to view the report.

Always when my hackintosh freezes I can't move anything at all and I need to manually restart the computer by holding the power button. When I get back into Mac os after restart there is no report dialog box or similar that appears.. Everything is just normal again. So how do I find these report files?:O

edit.

okay, seems like I found it.

Check out my new post at this link:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/170949-random-freezes-yosemite-10-10-5-a.html

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7-TH
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 750
Hi

I tried to follow your guide and stuck everytime while booting at "system uptime in nanoseconds".

I used these boot args: -v -x nv_disable=1

My components:

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7-TH
Core i7-4790K
Corsair Hydro Series H60
EVGA GTX 750
Crucial BLS8G3D169DS3CEU 32 GB (4 x 8GB)
2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 120GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Corsair CS550M
TP-Link PCI Express Wifi Adapter
NZXT H440

Can someone help me?

This is the output:

IMG_2783.jpg

Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX Z270G GAMING
CPU
i7-7700
Graphics
HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
I'm having an issue with my Gaming 5 board and the Killer NIC and hoping you have some ideas. My complete HW setup is in my signature.

My system is 99% functional and stable, using the latest Clover bootloader. No OS freezes, KPs, I have all USB 2/3 ports operational, HDMI audio working perfectly, sleep & resume work fine, even iMessage, iCloud, & FaceTime. The one problem I have, that if I am doing any type of heavy network bandwidth operation, such as Time Machine backup, the ethernet connection drops and Network prefs say "ethernet not connected". I've tried a few different cables & ethernet ports on the switch, same result. This same HW setup was 100% functional & stable with Windows 7 & 8.1, so I am pretty confident there isn't a hardware issue. I am using the latest & greatest kext for the NIC. I can web surf for days, and I even installed several apps from the app store. But when I try to do a Time Machine backup, or sync my Google Drive, ethernet disconnects. I'm baffled.

Any ideas?

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-GAMING-GT
CPU
i7-4790k 4.4ghz
Graphics
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 SC
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Dear Friend,

i have the same cpu , same gpu but gigabyte, i do same steps like you and when i boot, i stuck on a black screen like this http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g189/nahfeese/dy1t9f.png

its the problem on my igfx or what ?

thank you for your help

Did you ever solve your issue? I'm not quite sure what the issue would be, but trying with and without IGFX might be a good starting point.. hopefully its been long since fixed!

I'm having an issue with my Gaming 5 board and the Killer NIC and hoping you have some ideas. My complete HW setup is in my signature.

My system is 99% functional and stable, using the latest Clover bootloader. No OS freezes, KPs, I have all USB 2/3 ports operational, HDMI audio working perfectly, sleep & resume work fine, even iMessage, iCloud, & FaceTime. The one problem I have, that if I am doing any type of heavy network bandwidth operation, such as Time Machine backup, the ethernet connection drops and Network prefs say "ethernet not connected". I've tried a few different cables & ethernet ports on the switch, same result. This same HW setup was 100% functional & stable with Windows 7 & 8.1, so I am pretty confident there isn't a hardware issue. I am using the latest & greatest kext for the NIC. I can web surf for days, and I even installed several apps from the app store. But when I try to do a Time Machine backup, or sync my Google Drive, ethernet disconnects. I'm baffled.

Any ideas?

That is beyond me my friend, I would've probably attempted the same fixes as you. Deepest apologies and I hope you have solved this issue since posting!

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-GAMING-GT
CPU
i7-4790k 4.4ghz
Graphics
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 SC
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Couple of benchmarks since upgrading to Sierra (which was less than smooth, but only due to my own stupidity.. I should have checked the forums first and waited to update until 10.12.3 NVIDIA Web Drivers were out).

Also, my Corsair H75's pump quit on me, and I was scared I was gonna fry the CPU, was idling at temps around 60-65C and even slight loads would push it into the 90's. I went and got an H80i and things are back to tip top shape, idling around 28C and hitting mid 50's in benchmarks.

I am finally going to make the multi booting move, with Windows 10 on a separate SSD. I'll report back on how it goes when the time comes in a week or so. Gotta pay my bills before I pick up a license and another SSD lol.

I'll do my best to be more attentive here on my build thread as well, when work ramps up I tend to get lost in it, but I feel rather guilty for leaving so many peoples questions without response (not that I'd be able to answer, I'm far from an expert in all things hackintosh, but I don't want to leave anyone hanging altogether). As I've said before, many thanks to those that have pitched in to answer questions! This community rocks :)

Without any further ado, here are the scores from various things:
Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 12.40.17 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 6.30.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 6.33.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 6.36.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 6.40.21 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 6.50.23 PM.png

All benchmarks are improved from the time of initial build (early benchmarks can be found on page 3 of this thread).

Cheers

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-GAMING GT
CPU
i7 4790K
Graphics
2 x Gigabyte GeForce 770 4GB OC windforce
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey spballer, Did you get to install Clover for Sierra? Im having trouble booting, when turning on computer it takes login window to appear more than 1 minute, but if I restart it takes 5-10 sec.

Did´ent have that problem with earlier versions off OS X

If you have a config file I would appreciate if I could look at it, as we have the same board and processor.

Thanks in advance

Best Soorb

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-GAMING GT
CPU
i7 4790K
Graphics
2 x Gigabyte GeForce 770 4GB OC windforce
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ive fixed the problem, It was a problem with Web driver for nvidia. after update it works like a charm.