Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Spballer's Build: GA-Z97X-GAMING-GT / i7-4790k / Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 SC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every works fine now, no hangs or freezes. I reinstall without USB3 driver on multibeast, so it solve problem (USB3 woks natively). Only slow sata3 hdd (blackmagic speed test). Same hdd shows better results on external usb3 conection! Maybe third party sata3 kext on multibeast are not compatible in 10.10.2.. SSD works prettty fine, but hdd :(
p.s.
And Thank You for yours detailed instructions (I followed them :) ) And sorry, my english is not so good, maybe had some installations issues too :)

Hello,

I am very new to the Hackintosh world and just completed my first build

16 gb of corsair 1600 mhz ram
i7 4790k cpu
gigabyte gaming gt motherboard
gigabyte gtx 970 g1 gaming
kingston v300 240gb ssd
corsair rm 850 psu
tp link 4800 network card

I successfully got osx installed, but I am having post installation problems. I cannot boot in to Yosemite unless I us the bootflags -x and nv_disable=1, and even with those bootflags the booting process is very slow. Once I make it in to osx I have only about 2-5 minutes before both my keyboard and mouse stop working... I am still running internal graphics as I have not been able to successfully use my graphics card. I cannot boot with the graphics card in so I have taken it completely out of my system. This guide has been fantastic so far, and any help from here would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Spballer,

Thanks for a super write-up. This was my first hackintosh build. Hardware quite similar to yours, but with different motherboard:

Gigabyte z97mx gaming 5

I have a stable system now, but one problem I ran into was with the FakeSMC plugins.

I installed these via multibeast after I had my system up and running for about a week. But after I installed them I was getting random freezes around 30secs - 2mins after boot.

So I tried a fresh install, and just to be sure, tried the FakeSMC plugins, and system froze when multibeast tried to install FakeSMC.

Reinstalled again, without plugins, and everything is stable.

One other problem I have is no audio after sleep.

Cheers so much for the guide!

I also have a nearly identical build but with the matx board ga-z97mx gaming 5 board 4790k, h75, and 970.

When i boot i get the prohibited symbol. If i boot in safe mode everything works. Any ideas where to start?

Ok, here we go...

Mindaugela,

Glad you got things sorted :thumbup: Hope it stays freeze free for you!

Mirvine46,

So far is sounds like you are doing things correctly. You will have to boot with -x and nv_disable=1 until you are able to download and install the web drivers, which also means you will be using internal graphics until that is done, it sounds like you are in the midst of the part of the build. I'm not quite sure why your mouse/keyboard would go out on you... My suggestion, should you not be able to download/install/ and switch to the web drivers for your 970, would be to double check all your BIOS settings again, double check all your hardware connections, and if that doesn't help to start with a fresh install... who knows, maybe there was a hiccup somewhere along the way during the install.

Subdian,

I had some issues with the FakeSMC plugins previously as well, for whatever reason they work now. If it seems to be the lone issue between stable and unstable it may be worth it to just leave it be, but you could also try going to HW monitor's website and downloading the newest plugins from there and manually installing them, perhaps it has to do with the version that multibeast is carrying...

I also do not have audio after sleep, but there are several fixes for it here on the forums in the audio section. The easiest of which is a small app that you can run to reload sound after waking from sleep. I've used it and it works like a champ.

kronjohnson,

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the prohibited symbol. Have you managed to make the switch from internal graphics to your 970 via the web drivers? If possible, boot with -v and take a picture of what shows when your booting stops, that will give myself and others a better idea of what is happening.

Hi!

First off I want to thank you for posting such useful information. I based my build off of this and its been working great for the past 2 weeks. However, recently as soon as I do something very resource intensive such as running Heaven Benchmark the computer crashes. I think its got something to do with the graphics card. Have you had this problem before?

Hi paymon,

That is interesting, I have not encountered that, and I am running benchmarks frequently just for fun, I also have long periods of gaming.

My first thought on possibilities has to do with cooling... I am by no means a computer expert and this could be completely wrong, but I seem to remember reading about components having a throttling temperature, perhaps they also have a shut down temperature to avoid catastrophic hardware damage. IF this is true, AND while you are running benchmarks ( or other resource heavy applications) your system is overheating to such an extant, it would explain why you are stable at all other times (adequate cooling under normal load) but not during stressed loads (inadequate cooling). This is just a guess, but its what I would personally look at if it were my machine. Try running some less intensive benchmarks, something like geekbench, and keep your eye on system temperatures, if all seems well enough, then try it with heaven.

I really can't think of anything else... what version of Yosemite are you on, 10.10.2? drivers up to date for the card? Can you find a log from the time of the freeze?

Every works fine now, no hangs or freezes. I reinstall without USB3 driver on multibeast, so it solve problem (USB3 woks natively). Only slow sata3 hdd (blackmagic speed test). Same hdd shows better results on external usb3 conection! Maybe third party sata3 kext on multibeast are not compatible in 10.10.2.. SSD works prettty fine, but hdd :(
p.s.
And Thank You for yours detailed instructions (I followed them :) ) And sorry, my english is not so good, maybe had some installations issues too :)

I have a *Totally* different system than you, but I also was getting a desktop freeze like you described after the 10.10.2 update.

Did you pin down what the problem was for sure?
USB3 driver you think?

The Generic USB kext is for 5/6-series motherboard chipsets and some 7-series non Gigabyte motherboards. 8/9-series chipset motherboard should not use the Generic USB kext.

I have a *Totally* different system than you, but I also was getting a desktop freeze like you described after the 10.10.2 update.

Did you pin down what the problem was for sure?
USB3 driver you think?

I'v not updated, just installed 10.10.2 from appstore (unibeast ...etc) and yes, after random freezing reinstalled again without "usb3 universal" pin on multibeast.. it was only one thing I'v changed, no freezes! So...

But SATA 3 only 120mb/s drives me crazy! Only HDD, on SSD (system disk) - perfect 550mb/s.
Does anybody have same problem???!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back