Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Screen Freezes using Sapphire Radeon Vega 64 Nitro+ in MacOS Mojave 10.14

Status
Not open for further replies.
@patrickfogle,

@KPG's X299 guide is pretty full on and unless you absolutely need that kind of power in a hackingtosh I would personally recommend sticking with desktop architecture rather than workstation. X299 builds are complex and expensive.

If your Motherboard's CPU SKT is beyond repair it's still a very good Motherboard and CPU combo so I would stick with with what you have and just get another Asus Maximus IX HERO Motherboard .. you might even be able to get a used one at a knock down price as long as it's guaranteed working.

Good Luck
Jay

I must agree. I built the X299 with i9-7980X, 2TB nvme drive and 128GB of RAM. I had an honest need for it in my work. Then I was laid off and I have no need for it now. Overkill for anything less that running a small city's IT shop. It is fast, but a lot of untapped power.

@patrickfogle,

Well done performing all those hardware swap out's ..... I know it can be very disheartening when you spend so much time swapping out hardware and yet the problem remains ...

Your CPU temps look fine so CPU heat dissipation is not the issue.

The fact the the system reboots even when you are in the BIOS would IMHO show that your dealing with either a hardware issue (CPU/RAM/Motherboard) or a bad BIOS setting.

Some suggestions
  • Check for BIOS updates for your Motherboard
  • If you have recently the updated BIOS try an earlier version
  • Re-seat CPU (remove cooler, remove and clean CPU & pump base, re seat CPU with fresh thermal compound)
  • Reset BIOS to default settings and try booting, if you cant boot then make minimal changes until it boots.
  • Swap-out RAM (see if you can borrow some from a friend or work)
  • Increase CPU voltage slightly
  • Try under clocking the CPU

That's all I can think of right now ...

Good Luck
Cheers
Jay

Hi, I have the same issue.
My display freezes randomly...
but I haven`t any reboots...
Can you tell me how I can config my mac without random display freeze?
I also using Mojave.
Thanks

Hi, I have the same issue. My display freezes randomly...
but I haven`t any reboots... Can you tell me how I can config my mac without random display freeze?

Its difficult to diagnose the issue from your description, if your using AMD + IGPU then make sure you have Lilu and WhatEverGren installed and configured correctly.

As a start try working through this guide :-

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-lilu-and-its-plug-ins.260063/

Cheers
Jay

@jaymonkey & @pastrychef,

Well, I replaced the motherboard with the bent pins that we dicussed, as I happened to find a steal of a deal on eBay (a new-old-stock Maximus IX Hero board for only $125). Anyway, I moved the CPU and everything over and used the installation and EFI that we worked on so long and hard to make everything work. Once I made the switch, the system works like a dream. No problems now whatsoever! I guess that no matter how well I prepared the system before, those bent pins were my downfall. Thanks again for your help!!

Copy my EFI folder to the EFI partition of your Mojave drive.

@pastrychef

You helped me greatly a while back when I was able to use your EFI ( EFI Unified 4.3.2 (High Sierra)..zip ). I was about to update to 10.14.2, and the guide on tonymacx86 suggests that I update Clover. Is there a way to update clover and leave all of the settings in the EFI the same? It seems like when I am updating Clover it is like basically starting over with a new install that I think overwrites the config.pst file in the EFI.

Also, have you ever had any problems getting Airdrop/Handoff (from iOS) to work in your systems? They do not work in mine.

@pastrychef

You helped me greatly a while back when I was able to use your EFI ( EFI Unified 4.3.2 (High Sierra)..zip ). I was about to update to 10.14.2, and the guide on tonymacx86 suggests that I update Clover. Is there a way to update clover and leave all of the settings in the EFI the same? It seems like when I am updating Clover it is like basically starting over with a new install that I think overwrites the config.pst file in the EFI.

Also, have you ever had any problems getting Airdrop/Handoff (from iOS) to work in your systems? They do not work in mine.

Yes, you can update Clover. Just launch the Clover installer and make sure to choose custom install and select the same options as you see in /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/. Don't add more, don't select less.
Screen Shot 2018-12-18 at 8.10.37 AM.png

Yes, you can update Clover. Just launch the Clover installer and make sure to choose custom install and select the same options as you see in /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/. Don't add more, don't select less.
View attachment 373448
Oh, that’s easy then. I though it would overwrite the config.plist file and lose the settings.

Not sure if this will help anyone else, but I have a Sapphire Vega 64 and I fixed my issue by changing my iGPU from "Enabled" to "Auto" in my BIOS. I also changed my system definition to iMac 18,2.

Your comment helped me as I was having problems with "Enabled", changing it did help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back