Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Screen Freezes using Sapphire Radeon Vega 64 Nitro+ in MacOS Mojave 10.14

Status
Not open for further replies.
@patrickfogle,

Well done performing all those hardware swap out's ..... I know it can be very disheartening when you spend so much time swapping out hardware and yet the problem remains ...

Your CPU temps look fine so CPU heat dissipation is not the issue.

The fact the the system reboots even when you are in the BIOS would IMHO show that your dealing with either a hardware issue (CPU/RAM/Motherboard) or a bad BIOS setting.

Some suggestions
  • Check for BIOS updates for your Motherboard
  • If you have recently the updated BIOS try an earlier version
  • Re-seat CPU (remove cooler, remove and clean CPU & pump base, re seat CPU with fresh thermal compound)
  • Reset BIOS to default settings and try booting, if you cant boot then make minimal changes until it boots.
  • Swap-out RAM (see if you can borrow some from a friend or work)
  • Increase CPU voltage slightly
  • Try under clocking the CPU

Thats all I can think of right now ...

Good Luck
Cheers
Jay

@jaymonkey & @pastrychef

Well, I removed the CPU again from the motherboard and upon closer inspection, I found 5-6 bent pins (at least) on the motherboard CPU socket. So, I tried to repair it (with the help of a Linus Tech tips video) but I’m not sure I helped it any. Now it won’t even post. No fans and no beep at power-on.....

So strange! The bad behavior started before I removed the CPU the first time to reseat it. I noticed no MB damage then and it worked about the same after (that is, the first time I reseated the CPU). I’m hoping that was my freeze/lockup problem all along!! (as well as my current random reboot issue).

So, I’m not sure if this Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero Z270 board is repairable by a pro or not, but I’ll look around. Even if it is, it might not be worth the money over a new board.

So, I might be in the market now for a new MB/CPU. Any Hackintosh recommendations to go well with my Vega 64? Maybe I can still use my DDR 2400Ghz RAM?

@jaymonkey & @pastrychef

Well, I removed the CPU again from the motherboard and upon closer inspection, I found 5-6 bent pins (at least) on the motherboard CPU socket. So, I tried to repair it (with the help of a Linus Tech tips video) but I’m not sure I helped it any. Now it won’t even post. No fans and no beep at power-on.....

@patrickfogle,

Well at least you found the problem .... bent pins on the CPU SKT explains the random reboots and strange behaviour, i'm surprised it booted at all with that many bent pins ! ... your CPU should still be ok though.

Its pretty easy to short CPU pins when trying to straighten them, might be worth removing the motherboard from the case and trying to check/straighten them again on a bench under good lighting with a magnifier .. as long as none of them have broken it should be possible ... just take your time and be super careful.

If it's beyond repair then check the buyers guide for recommendations, would probably cost just as much to have a new CPU SKT fitted (if possible) as it would to buy a new motherboard.

Good Luck
Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@patrickfogle,

Well at least you found the problem .... bent pins on the CPU SKT explains the random reboots and strange behaviour, i'm surprised it booted at all with that many bent pins ! ... your CPU should still be ok though.

Its pretty easy to short CPU pins when trying to straighten them, might be worth removing the motherboard from the case and trying to check/straighten them again on a bench under good lighting with a magnifier .. as long as none of them have broken it should be possible ... just take your time and be super careful.

If it's beyond repair then check the buyers guide for recommendations, would probably cost just as much to have a new CPU SKT fitted (if possible) as it would to buy a new motherboard.

Good Luck
Cheers
Jay

@jaymonkey & @pastrychef

Thanks, Jay! You and @pastrychef have been so helpful. I’ll take another magnified look at the board to see if it’s fixable.

If not I’ll look for another system. All of the recommendations on the TonyMacX86 site are for Z370 systems. Curiously, I noticed that @kgp has a really detailed guide on making an “iMac Pro“ with X299/Skylake-X hardware. Do you think that is a good choice or do you think I’ll have more success with the Z370 systems? Have very many people actually built with an X299? Would support maybe be hard to come by for X299 Hackintoshes?

Last edited:
Are you getting any crash logs?

Have you set up your Serial, Board Serial, UUID?

Please try updating to the latest versions of the following kexts:
FakeSMC.kext
AppleALC.kext
Lilu.kext
WhateverGreen.kext

Also, update to the latest Clover.
Thanks...Working on those bent socket pins!!

I’ll take another magnified look at the board to see if it’s fixable.

If not I’ll look for another system. All of the recommendations on the TonyMacX86 site are for Z370 systems. Curiously, I noticed that @kgp has a really detailed guide on making an “iMac Pro“ with X299/Skylake-X hardware. Do you think that is a good choice or do you think I’ll have more success with the Z370 systems? Have very many people actually built with an X299? Would support maybe be hard to come by for X299 Hackintoshes?

@patrickfogle,

@KPG's X299 guide is pretty full on and unless you absolutely need that kind of power in a hackingtosh I would personally recommend sticking with desktop architecture rather than workstation. X299 builds are complex and expensive.

If your Motherboard's CPU SKT is beyond repair it's still a very good Motherboard and CPU combo so I would stick with with what you have and just get another Asus Maximus IX HERO Motherboard .. you might even be able to get a used one at a knock down price as long as it's guaranteed working.

Good Luck
Jay

@patrickfogle,

@KPG's X299 guide is pretty full on and unless you absolutely need that kind of power in a hackingtosh I would personally recommend sticking with desktop architecture rather than workstation. X299 builds are complex and expensive.

If your Motherboard's CPU SKT is beyond repair it's still a very good Motherboard and CPU combo so I would stick with with what you have and just get another Asus Maximus IX HERO Motherboard .. you might even be able to get a used one at a knock down price as long as it's guaranteed working.

Good Luck
Jay
Sounds like what I thought....seems like an amazing system that X299!

@jaymonkey & @pastrychef

Thanks, Jay! You and @pastrychef have been so helpful. I’ll take another magnified look at the board to see if it’s fixable.

Both of these will require a new CPU as well, with your CPU you need to stick to a Z270 or Z170 (with bios update) motherboard.

Both of these will require a new CPU as well, with your CPU you need to stick to a Z270 or Z170 (with bios update) motherboard.
Yeah, I knew my CPU wouldn’t go onto a 299X or a Z370. I’m going to look into a Z270 replacement board.

Yeah, I knew my CPU wouldn’t go onto a 299X or a Z370. I’m going to look into a Z270 replacement board.

I've repaired bent pins in sockets before with a magnifying glass and tweezers. You just have to be very careful and patient. Use the magnifying glass to check every single pin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back