Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Screen Freezes using Sapphire Radeon Vega 64 Nitro+ in MacOS Mojave 10.14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks @patrickfogle for the quick answer.
Can u go into details what fixes did u use? Because i will get same card in the next days will build a new Hackintosh. or maybe u can update the first post so it could be easy to find what u did
@luxuspur,

I do not have time to do updates and detail right now, but I can tell you really quickly:
1. Most of my difficulties had nothing to do with configuring the card/Clover properly to make the Vega card work well. Most of my issue was due to damaged pins in my motherboard CPU socket. Once I repaired/replaced the necessary things, everything worked fine and as it should (see here: Post #135).
2. Outside of that, mostly what I did was start with @pastrychef 's Z370 EFI (See this link to an earlier thread:#35). His was also an ASUS motherboard, as is mine, and I am not sure what changes would be necessary (if any) to make this work on a Gigabyte board, if that is what you will be using. I am sure @pastrychef might can chime in on that.
3. I made a few small changes to his EFI that might have to do with my specific motherboard and generation, things like the SMBIOS. Make sure the SMBIOS setting is right for your system. And make sure to enable "Above 4G Decoding" in the BIOS. Those fixed several issues for me.
4. It also might be necessary to make some other changes, but mostly what needs to happen to make this card work correctly is to set it up to run simultaneously with the iGPU in a headless configuration, like a real Mac. Detail are found here on @jaymonkey 's post (Post #27), but @pastrychef 's EFI already had the correct iGPU configuration in it for my iGPU.
5. I am glad to assist you as I can if you post here, AND, @jaymonkey and @pastrychef (and others) have been great time-saving resources for me. I am sure if you post your issues here, or on the appropriate thread, we will do our best to help.

Overall though, the Vega 64 with my Z-277 ASUS system is the smoothest running Hackintosh I have had. It is my 4th Hackintosh build.

Good Luck!

@luxuspur,

I do not have time to do updates and detail right now, but I can tell you really quickly:
1. Most of my difficulties had nothing to do with configuring the card/Clover properly to make the Vega card work well. Most of my issue was due to damaged pins in my motherboard CPU socket. Once I repaired/replaced the necessary things, everything worked fine and as it should (see here: Post #135).
2. Outside of that, mostly what I did was start with @pastrychef 's Z370 EFI (See this link to an earlier thread:#35). His was also an ASUS motherboard, as is mine, and I am not sure what changes would be necessary (if any) to make this work on a Gigabyte board, if that is what you will be using. I am sure @pastrychef might can chime in on that.
3. I made a few small changes to his EFI that might have to do with my specific motherboard and generation, things like the SMBIOS. Make sure the SMBIOS setting is right for your system. And make sure to enable "Above 4G Decoding" in the BIOS. Those fixed several issues for me.
4. It also might be necessary to make some other changes, but mostly what needs to happen to make this card work correctly is to set it up to run simultaneously with the iGPU in a headless configuration, like a real Mac. Detail are found here on @jaymonkey 's post (Post #27), but @pastrychef 's EFI already had the correct iGPU configuration in it for my iGPU.
5. I am glad to assist you as I can if you post here, AND, @jaymonkey and @pastrychef (and others) have been great time-saving resources for me. I am sure if you post your issues here, or on the appropriate thread, we will do our best to help.

Overall though, the Vega 64 with my Z-277 ASUS system is the smoothest running Hackintosh I have had. It is my 4th Hackintosh build.

Good Luck!
@luxuspur

You should also take a look at this post from a different thread of mine, but the content has a lot of crossover and troubleshooting tips of potential issues. This post specifically details using VGTab to make the Vega run optimally and give overclocking options: Post #15 . Like I said, it is from a different thread: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...u-running-together-with-thunderbolt-3.263933/
Good Luck!

Hey!
I'm wondering if i have similar situation.

i get these random freezes and nothing but hard reset helps. i have noticed that there are lot of those things happening when i need to come out from sleeping mode. screens just wake alive but stay black and thats it.
sometimes then again it goes black when i mess around in cubase - everything freezes and if sound happens to be on then sound will continue playing for lets say 20 seconds or so, then its completely dark.
it is really hard to tell when next freeze will happen sometimes its 2 times a day, sometimes i need to wait for three days to reexperience it.
It kind of feels that it is GPU related, since it is aligned too often with waking from sleep.

i have tried to use different identifiers under SMBios at the moment its iMAC Pro (since all image debuyers, messages and bonjour services kind of work with that). i tried to enable igpu, but then booting went functioning so slow that i realized its probably not the right way to do it.
EFI/CLOVER/kexts has only fakeSMC installed - everything else is properly under /Library/Extensions (lilu, whatevergreen, appleALC) . but probably not configured correctly? no idea.

i kind of not understood if i need to do it, since this vega64 should have dedicated drivers coming with mojave? no?
under the graphics are selected injectATI and RadeonDeInit and basically nothing else is done in clover configurator.

if anyone could direct me starting point, would be cool, since its working machine and i don't have weeks to experiment with it. probably wouldnt figure out myself anyways.

my build is asus prime z370A, i7 8700K, radeon vega 64 sapphire nitro+, dualscreen via DP UHD resolution, universal audio interface via thunderboltEX3. power supply is rm850x. crucial ballistix sport ddr4 2666mhz unbuffrd, mojave 10.14.5 (10.14.6 started to freeze much more often so i rolled back to .5)

Hey!
I'm wondering if i have similar situation.

i get these random freezes and nothing but hard reset helps. i have noticed that there are lot of those things happening when i need to come out from sleeping mode. screens just wake alive but stay black and thats it.
sometimes then again it goes black when i mess around in cubase - everything freezes and if sound happens to be on then sound will continue playing for lets say 20 seconds or so, then its completely dark.
it is really hard to tell when next freeze will happen sometimes its 2 times a day, sometimes i need to wait for three days to reexperience it.
It kind of feels that it is GPU related, since it is aligned too often with waking from sleep.

i have tried to use different identifiers under SMBios at the moment its iMAC Pro (since all image debuyers, messages and bonjour services kind of work with that). i tried to enable igpu, but then booting went functioning so slow that i realized its probably not the right way to do it.
EFI/CLOVER/kexts has only fakeSMC installed - everything else is properly under /Library/Extensions (lilu, whatevergreen, appleALC) . but probably not configured correctly? no idea.

i kind of not understood if i need to do it, since this vega64 should have dedicated drivers coming with mojave? no?
under the graphics are selected injectATI and RadeonDeInit and basically nothing else is done in clover configurator.

if anyone could direct me starting point, would be cool, since its working machine and i don't have weeks to experiment with it. probably wouldnt figure out myself anyways.

my build is asus prime z370A, i7 8700K, radeon vega 64 sapphire nitro+, dualscreen via DP UHD resolution, universal audio interface via thunderboltEX3. power supply is rm850x. crucial ballistix sport ddr4 2666mhz unbuffrd, mojave 10.14.5 (10.14.6 started to freeze much more often so i rolled back to .5)

Yes, Follow the instructions in Post #144: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...tro-in-macos-mojave-10-14.262778/post-1972067

Cool Patrickfolge, i will try that to go through. but just quick question. if i go to this IGPU enable mode, do you think by going through your guideline makes booting up quicker (like normal 20 sec that i have now)? if i enable Above 4G decoding, my booting time will be like 3-4 minutes nearly.
just asking is this booting time somehow related to configuring lilu kext in clover properly? somehow related to this headless configuration?

Cool Patrickfolge, i will try that to go through. but just quick question. if i go to this IGPU enable mode, do you think by going through your guideline makes booting up quicker (like normal 20 sec that i have now)? if i enable Above 4G decoding, my booting time will be like 3-4 minutes nearly.
just asking is this booting time somehow related to configuring lilu kext in clover properly? somehow related to this headless configuration?
It has not been my experience to have the to boot times increase significantly with “Above 4G Decoding” enabled, as you have reported. My boot time is probably about 20 seconds currently with the “Above 4G Decoding” enabled.

Have you followed the guidelines I used fully? Make sure you’re using the settings for the actual iGPU on your system. If so, I am not sure why it would take that long. You might boot in verbose mode to see what it hangs on for so long. You might post that information and get a response from someone. Most of my boot hangs and maybe slow boot times had to do with either not configuring the iGPU correctly or by using the wrong AptioMemoryFix drivers.

Maybe @jaymonkey or @pastrychef can give you their assessment. They have been an amazing resource for me in my Hackintosh successes.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back