Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Ongoing Status of Designare Z390 with i7-9700K

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Braing, the bad card has two Mhf4 antenna connectors while the good one has three. That alone should constitute different part numbers. Not to mention the difference in length between them, which should also constitute a different part number.

Several weeks ago I downgraded my recommendation of this card and instead endorsed the Fenvi. Once that card arrives let us know how it goes.

@Braing, the bad card has two Mhf4 antenna connectors while the good one has three. That alone should constitute different part numbers. Not to mention the difference in length between them, which should also constitute a different part number.

Several weeks ago I downgraded my recommendation of this card and instead endorsed the Fenvi. Once that card arrives let us know how it goes.

Sorry I'm not so good at written explanations.
I attempted to let you know that Amazons supplier sent me the two connector version of the module stuffed into the plastic bag that has the part number on the bag label for the correct broadcom part. If ordered from the Amazon link in your build guide it is quite likely folks will have my experience. The wrong part was placed into the bag or the bag got the wrong label placed on it. Perhaps I'd suggest removing your build link to it for the benefit of others.

replacing the intel CNVi with an intel CNVi seriously? the 1st problem is intel CNVi doesn't work in macOs ...

I didn't realize this...." The analog and RF components (radio frequency) are on the CNVi module. This module is technically an extension of the Z390 chipset and is required in order to make use of the Z390 WiFi/BT circuitry. "

As in my many years of experience, 3rd party cards, extensions are much better than accompanied (in Box) additions.
Seeing how this was made by Gigabyte, I thought it might help you out.
I have the Z390 Designare but the project is on hold for a few reasons.
No need to get ornery, as I was only trying to help :rolleyes::mad:

@bluesatyr,

Because you have an RX 580, it is better to use headless platform ID 0x3E980003 to turn off video output from the iGPU. This will allow various A/V apps to run without crashing -- including Final Cut Pro and iMovie. The attached config.plist contains this change.

If you must drive a monitor through the iGPU (using either the two Thunderbolt 3 ports or the HDMI port on rear I/O panel), then let me know and I'll revise the config.plist for platform ID 0x3E9B0007 and inject connector patches.

@CaseySJ

I've had quite a lot of trouble with my build so far. Would it be possible to share your current EFI (Clover) folder with me with all ACPI patches, drivers64UEFI and kexts (none installed in /L/E/ so far) I need to get it running as an 2019 iMac 27 (non Pro)?

My build:
Mojave 10.14.6
Z390 Designare
i9 9900K
2x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4-3200 CL16 (Slot A1 & B1, XMP profile loaded)
no dedicated GPU (can't run headless)
Monitor on HDMI output of the board (DP also possible but didn't work yet)
removed WiFi-Card completely (using LAN, will buy AirPort card later)

@CaseySJ

I've had quite a lot of trouble with my build so far. Would it be possible to share your current EFI (Clover) folder with me with all ACPI patches, drivers64UEFI and kexts (none installed in /L/E/ so far) I need to get it running as an 2019 iMac 27 (non Pro)?

My build:
Mojave 10.14.6
Z390 Designare
i9 9900K
2x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4-3200 CL16 (Slot A1 & B1, XMP profile loaded)
no dedicated GPU (can't run headless)
Monitor on HDMI output of the board (DP also possible but didn't work yet)
removed WiFi-Card completely (using LAN, will buy AirPort card later)
Hello @vinwo,

It is my personal policy never to post my EFI folder. There are several reasons for this:
  • Anyone who decides to build a Hackintosh must become their own first line of Tech Support. They must be able to troubleshoot most of the problems themselves. A Hackintosh comes with no official tech support, no warranty, no return policy, and no satisfaction guarantee.
  • If I publish my EFI folder, the entire configuration becomes a black box. No one will look inside. No one will bother to determine which settings were used, why they were used, and how to adapt them to different configurations.
  • In the first version of the build guide (link below) I published both (a) EFI folder and (b) step-by-step instructions for configuring the EFI folder. Guess what? 99% of the people just went with (a) and began asking tons of questions when those settings didn't work perfectly for their slightly different setups.
So please go through the full build guide linked below. Take your time. Do not rush. And realize that the tiniest of details can have the mightiest of consequences. So do pay careful attention to the details. If you still run into problems, just reply in the build thread, but also search the build thread for possible solutions. After 6000 posts, there's not much that hasn't been covered.

Hello @vinwo,

It is my personal policy never to post my EFI folder. There are several reasons for this:
  • Anyone who decides to build a Hackintosh must become their own first line of Tech Support. They must be able to troubleshoot most of the problems themselves. A Hackintosh comes with no official tech support, no warranty, no return policy, and no satisfaction guarantee.
  • If I publish my EFI folder, the entire configuration becomes a black box. No one will look inside. No one will bother to determine which settings were used, why they were used, and how to adapt them to different configurations.
  • In the first version of the build guide (link below) I published both (a) EFI folder and (b) step-by-step instructions for configuring the EFI folder. Guess what? 99% of the people just went with (a) and began asking tons of questions when those settings didn't work perfectly for their slightly different setups.
So please go through the full build guide linked below. Take your time. Do not rush. And realize that the tiniest of details can have the mightiest of consequences. So do pay careful attention to the details. If you still run into problems, just reply in the build thread, but also search the build thread for possible solutions. After 6000 posts, there's not much that hasn't been covered.

I can understand that you don't want to share your EFI folder. I hope you don't mind if I post mine here for troubleshooting. I went through your guide and as a result I now have an EFI folder that "should" work. However, I can't boot this folder and I can't figure out where the problem is. The fact that I don't use a discrete GPU and framebuffer patching etc. is needed to get the HDMI port working is not an easy task for me, as I'm not as experienced in this area. The only clover folder I was able to boot with this build is the default one from the UniBeast installer.
It would be really nice if you could take a look at my folder (or try to boot it without discrete GPU) and maybe find out what's wrong with my configuration.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 90
I can understand that you don't want to share your EFI folder. I hope you don't mind if I post mine here for troubleshooting. I went through your guide and as a result I now have an EFI folder that "should" work. However, I can't boot this folder and I can't figure out where the problem is. The fact that I don't use a discrete GPU and framebuffer patching etc. is needed to get the HDMI port working is not an easy task for me, as I'm not as experienced in this area. The only clover folder I was able to boot with this build is the default one from the UniBeast installer.
It would be really nice if you could take a look at my folder (or try to boot it without discrete GPU) and maybe find out what's wrong with my configuration.
In my previous post I said realize that the tiniest of details can have the mightiest of consequences. It seems a few details were missed, as follows:
  • You've switched to VirtualSMC, but this guide to setting up VirtualSMC clearly states that SMCHelper.efi must be replaced with VirtualSmc.efi.
  • When specifying AAPL,ig-platform-id we must specify the hex value in reverse byte order. This has also been stated clearly in the guide. But your config.plist had it in normal byte order.
  • A screenshot in Final Steps in Post-Installation shows that the Trust checkbox should be enabled in SMBIOS section, but this was not done.
  • In the CLOVER/kexts/Other folder there is no requirement in the build guide for EFICheckDisable.kext. So this should be removed.
All of these and a couple of other changes have been made in the attached CLOVER.zip. Please backup the existing one and replace it with this. You may still encounter some residual issues. In that case, just let us know and we'll help you through them.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3.3 MB · Views: 113
Last edited:
In my previous post I said realize that the tiniest of details can have the mightiest of consequences. It seems a few details were missed, as follows:
  • You've switched to VirtualSMC, but this guide to setting up VirtualSMC clearly states that SMCHelper.efi must be replaced with VirtualSmc.efi.
  • When specifying AAPL,ig-platform-id we must specify the hex value in reverse byte order. This has also been stated clearly in the guide. But your config.plist had it in normal byte order.
  • A screenshot in Final Steps in Post-Installation shows that the Trust checkbox should be enabled in SMBIOS section, but this was not done.
  • In the CLOVER/kexts/Other folder there is no requirement in the build guide for EFICheckDisable.kext. So this should be removed.
All of these and a couple of other changes have been made in the attached CLOVER.zip. Please backup the existing one and replace it with this. You may still encounter some residual issues. In that case, just let us know and we'll help you through them.

Thank you very much. I replaced the Clover folder and tried to boot it. However, now it results in a kernel panic. I suspect it has something to do with the graphics driver. I tried enabling InjectIntel but it didn't work. I can also try to disable AppleIntelCPUPM and/or KernelPM, but I don't think this will help, as I didn't patch my BIOS to unlock the MSR 0xE2. Maybe you also had this problem and know a fix for it?

Attached are two videos of the boot (it results in one of those two cases randomly).

Attachments

• Boot Videos.zip
    30.3 MB · Views: 88
Thank you very much. I replaced the Clover folder and tried to boot it. However, now it results in a kernel panic. I suspect it has something to do with the graphics driver. I tried enabling InjectIntel but it didn't work. I can also try to disable AppleIntelCPUPM and/or KernelPM, but I don't think this will help, as I didn't patch my BIOS to unlock the MSR 0xE2. Maybe you also had this problem and know a fix for it?

Attached are two videos of the boot (it results in one of those two cases randomly).
Please try the attached config.plist. In the previous reply I set the platform ID to headless mode because the original config.plist seemed to be configured that way (ending in 0003). Anyway, the attached version enables video output on the IGPU, including the HDMI port.

Attachments

• config.plist
    8.1 KB · Views: 98
Please try the attached config.plist. In the previous reply I set the platform ID to headless mode because the original config.plist seemed to be configured that way (ending in 0003). Anyway, the attached version enables video output on the IGPU, including the HDMI port.

Hi again, this config works perfectly. Even my Thunderbolt 2 monitor worked right away with the original Apple TB 3 to 2 adapter. A Samsung X5 TB3 SSD also worked right out of the box (hot plug) at the same speed as on my MacBook Pro.
The native DisplayPort port still doesn't seem to work, but that's okay for me.

Thank you very much for your help here and in your other threads! I wouldn't have bought a Hackintosh without the hard work of you and all the other Hackintosh developers.

PS: Is it normal that Cinebench shows "KBL Graphics" and that Macs Fan Control doesn't get temp sensor values?

Attachments

• Cinebench Info.png
    Cinebench Info.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Macs Fan Control.png
    Macs Fan Control.png
    206 KB · Views: 86
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back