Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Ongoing Status of Designare Z390 with i7-9700K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi CaseySJ I noticed on your [Success] thread you had created a Firewire bullet.
I thought I'd update my experience with those specific PCIE Firewire cards.
Firewire Cards
For Firewire support, the following cards have been tested by users of this system:
SYBA Low Profile PCI-Express 1394B/A Firewire Card Model SD-PEX30009
Startech Firewire
Vantec 2+1 FireWire PCIe card - Works only in the PCIEX8 slot
Works in all slots

Update 7/21/2019
After enjoying success for a couple of weeks I decided to try the other two firewire cards (Startech and Vantec) which I had already had, in all the PCIE slots to see if I would have the same success as with the SYBA card.
Startech and Vantec as well as the SYBA work in all the slots (1X 4X 8X) and all have very similar performance. I decided to keep with the Vantec card as it has a 4 pin Molex connector (as does the Startech) for external power while the SYBA card has a 14 pin header for external Firewire power.
A power harness cable that came with my power supply made using the 4 pin Molex connector on both the Startech and Vantec cards simple.

I believe the solution for all of the cards to work in all slots listed above to work in all slots was to uncheck "Fix Firewire" in the clover config file.
Thanks! Because this can be valuable information for prospective buyers, I'll add a link to this post in the build guide.

Hey question on this motherboard and wifi/BT,
I saw the intel CNVi is not supported, but the 2 other choices was either to use a pcie or one of the 2 M.2 available with an adaptor.
My issue is my two M2 will be used for macOs and Win10 on a NVMe each. Do I have no other choice to use a pci-e port? Is there a way to use the same output antena already there by installing another CNVi Wifi/Bluetooth instead of the intel?
I try to read the first post here https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/broadcom-wifi-bluetooth-guide.242423/ but I am quite lost ...

You'll probably want to get a PCI-e adapter like this: Pci-e for M.2 Nvme SSD
They don't have to be this expensive. They range in price from $15-50

You'll probably want to get a PCI-e adapter like this: Pci-e for M.2 Nvme SSD
They don't have to be this expensive. They range in price from $15-50

If I have to use a pci-e port, I could just buy a pci-e wifi/BT4 I think ... I was more wondering if in august 2019 someone found a way to replace the CNVi (remove it and put something else instead), I found it more elegant to use the antenna already in place instead of using another PCI-e port

If I have to use a pci-e port, I could just buy a pci-e wifi/BT4 I think ... I was more wondering if in august 2019 someone found a way to replace the CNVi (remove it and put something else instead), I found it more elegant to use the antenna already in place instead of using another PCI-e port
The CNVi slot will simply not work with third-party cards. Period. End of story. The reason is that CNVi is not a general purpose slot. The Z390 chipset has built-in WiFi 5, but only the digital part of it. The analog and RF components (radio frequency) are on the CNVi module. This module is technically an extension of the Z390 chipset and is required in order to make use of the Z390 WiFi/BT circuitry.

You should keep the CNVi card installed because Windows can fully use it. And you should instead purchase a Fenvi FV-T919 for MacOS.

This is a good solution because:
  • MacOS cannot use CNVi, but it supports Fenvi's on-board Broadcom 94360 chip natively.
  • Windows cannot use the Fenvi's Broadcom 94360, but it has full driver support for the CNVi.

Last edited:
The CNVi slot will simply not work with third-party cards. Period. End of story. The reason is that CNVi is not a general purpose slot. The Z390 chipset has built-in WiFi 5, but only the digital part of it. The analog and RF components (radio frequency) are on the CNVi module. This module is technically an extension of the Z390 chipset and is required in order to make use of the Z390 WiFi/BT circuitry.

You should keep the CNVi card installed because Windows can fully use it. And you should instead purchase a Fenvi FV-T919 for MacOS.

This is a good solutions because:
  • MacOS cannot use CNVi, but it supports Fenvi's on-board Broadcom 94360 chip natively.
  • Windows cannot use the Fenvi's Broadcom 94360, but it has full driver support for the CNVi.

This is what I thought, I had hope that new solutions came up. Thanks CaseySJ!

This is what I thought, I had hope that new solutions came up. Thanks CaseySJ!
There is always a possibility that Apple may add drivers for the CNVi in a future OS release, but there’s no hint of that yet.

Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ

I would like to share my WiFi/Bluetooth experience with you since it seems to come up so often in your [Success] thread.
Perhaps others are having this same issue (in the picture).
Initially I purchased the PCIE board and a WiFi Bluetooth module in your parts list. [Broadcom WiFi and Bluetooth Module -- BCM94360CS2] from the link.
It worked - both WiFi and Bluetooth. I can't recall but I seem to recall it performance was better than the Fenvi card.
Working through the other issue I had with Firewire (cards/slots) and moving the cards around I haphazardly inserted the WiFi Bluetooth board into the PCIE bus while the machine was sleeping.
After a reboot Bluetooth worked but WiFi did not. I fried the WiFi part of the module – I read that the Bluetooth portion of the module does not get power from the PCIE bus – so I will guess I fried the WiFi portion when I plugged the card hot into the slot.
I ordered another WiFi Bluetooth module from Amazon – same supplier same part number – identical order.
The new module arrived in the same bag with the same part number on it. However the this module was shorter than the first.
I installed the module and then the card and started the machine.
There was no Bluetooth, WiFi worked fine.
I double checked my amazon order and the part number on the bag the new module came in. Those numbers were identical to my original order.
However the numbers on the module are quite different.
Rather than the hassle of dealing with press 1 for more options and have a repeat of the same issue, I just decided to get the Fenvi board from NewEgg.
Whoever is stuffing the bags - they are using the wrong part!
Here is a picture of the board and the two modules. The module installed does not provide Bluetooth - WiFi works.
The module below the board did provide both – till sparkey got happy.

Braing

Attachments

• Bluetooth-Wifi.jpg
    Bluetooth-Wifi.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 91
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back