Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Ongoing Status of Designare Z390 with i7-9700K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, step 2 & 3 have been carried out on the SATA SSD.

I've uploaded also the compressed EFI folder. By the way, the successful installation was with the 128GB USB 3.1Gen2 stick.

What would be the next steps now? Did you use Multibeast or was it based on a plain Clover installation and later on adding the kexts, SSDTs, etc.?

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 89
By the way, the successful installation was with the 128GB USB 3.1Gen2 stick.
Wait...are you saying that installation finally succeeded with your 128GB stick? So you can boot into Mojave desktop now and are ready for post-installation?

Yes, I'm ready for post installation. :crazy:

Just to prevent any misunderstanding. Even though the RX 580 was installed I had to try 2-3 different USB ports until the 2nd part of the installation succeeded using the EVO 860 NVME.

Yes, I'm ready for post installation. :crazy:

Just to prevent any misunderstanding. Even though the RX 580 was installed I had to try 2-3 different USB ports until the 2nd part of the installation succeeded using the EVO 860 NVME.
I've been working on the build guide all day, which is why I'm constantly replying to messages here. I want to put some warnings in the build guide so please let me know:
  • Which USB drives failed (brand name, size of disk, USB 2 or 3)?
  • Which USB ports did not work, which port(s) did work?
Post-installation should be easy. But first I suggest to backup your NVMe Mojave to an external USB disk or external SSD or something.

For post-installation, you should be able to do this (after backing up your system):
  1. Use EFI Mounter v3 or Clover Configurator to mount the EFI partition of your Mojave NVMe.
  2. Compress the whole EFI folder there and move it to your desktop.
  3. Download my post-install EFI folder and unzip it to the EFI partition.
  4. Copy these three kext files to your desktop then download and run "KextBeast". This tool will transfer any kexts from the desktop to /Library/Extensions folder (be sure to click the "/Library/Extension" checkbox only). Then finally download and run "Kext Utility" which will repair permissions and rebuild kernel caches. You can then delete the kexts from desktop.
  • Lilu.kext
  • USBInjectAll.kext
  • WhateverGreen.kext
Putting them in the Clover kexts/Other folder may be okay in the short term. If you choose this option, you can skip KextBeast and Kext Utility steps.
Reboot and see what happens... (again, have backup ready).

Last edited:
I've been working on the build guide all day, which is why I'm constantly replying to messages here. I want to put some warnings in the build guide so please let me know:
  • Which USB drives failed (brand name, size of disk, USB 2 or 3)?
  • Which USB ports did not work, which port(s) did work?
Post-installation should be easy. But first I suggest to backup your NVMe Mojave to an external USB disk or external SSD or something.

For post-installation, you should be able to do this (after backing up your system):
  1. Use EFI Mounter v3 or Clover Configurator to mount the EFI partition of your Mojave NVMe.
  2. Compress the whole EFI folder there and move it to your desktop.
  3. Download my post-install EFI folder and unzip it to the EFI partition.
  4. Copy these three kext files to your desktop then download and run "KextBeast". This tool will transfer any kexts from the desktop to /Library/Extensions folder (be sure to click the "/Library/Extension" checkbox only). Then finally download and run "Kext Utility" which will repair permissions and rebuild kernel caches. You can then delete the kexts from desktop.
  • Lilu.kext
  • USBInjectAll.kext
  • WhateverGreen.kext
Putting them in the Clover kexts/Other folder may be okay in the short term. If you choose this option, you can skip KextBeast and Kext Utility steps.
Reboot and see what happens... (again, have backup ready).
BE SURE TO CHANGE SERIAL NUMBERS IN THE SMBIOS SECTION WITH CLOVER CONFIGURATOR! Please see attached screenshots.

Attachments

• Post-Step-1.png
    Post-Step-1.png
    197.4 KB · Views: 110
  • Post-Step-2.png
    Post-Step-2.png
    155.6 KB · Views: 118
I installed the WiFi card and wifi seems to working fine. However, Airdrop doesn't seem to be working. When I go to airdrop something from my iPhone to Hackintosh, the Hackintosh doesn't show and vice versa. You didn't have to tweak anything, did you @CaseySJ ?

ALSO, after plugging in more devices into my USB ports, I've noticed that my USB 3 device (Highlighted Orion32 in screen shot) runs at USB 2 speeds so it can run at full channel count. That unit is connected to a USB3.0 hub which is connected to the blue USB3.0 ports on the back panel of the motherboard. I've also tried bypassing the USB3.0 hub and plugging the Orion32 in directly.. same issue. The USB3.0 hub worked fine on my last Hackintosh so I have no reason to believe that it's the culprit. Am I missing something here?

Attachments

• Orion.png
    Orion.png
    275.2 KB · Views: 76
I installed the WiFi card and wifi seems to working fine. However, Airdrop doesn't seem to be working. When I go to airdrop something from my iPhone to Hackintosh, the Hackintosh doesn't show and vice versa. You didn't have to tweak anything, did you @CaseySJ ?
Just tried AirDrop by bringing my iPad near the computer and it came right up in the Finder's AirDrop window. Both devices are on the same WiFi network and Bluetooth is enabled on them both. I didn't have to do any tweaking. Because both devices are also on the same AppleID, they are automatically recognized.

ALSO, after plugging in more devices into my USB ports, I've noticed that my USB 3 device (Highlighted Orion32 in screen shot) runs at USB 2 speeds so it can run at full channel count. That unit is connected to a USB3.0 hub which is connected to the blue USB3.0 ports on the back panel of the motherboard. I've also tried bypassing the USB3.0 hub and plugging the Orion32 in directly.. same issue. The USB3.0 hub worked fine on my last Hackintosh so I have no reason to believe that it's the culprit. Am I missing something here?
To check this, it's best to run IORegistryExplorer and type "XHC" in the search box on top, then scroll down a little bit to list out the XHC ports @14. Then clear the search box on top. Now plug and unplug your USB device in a few ports and see which ports turn red (when device removed) and which ones turn green (when device inserted). HSxx ports are USB 2.0 speed. SSxx ports are USB 3.0 speed.

Attachments

• IOReg-XHC.png
    IOReg-XHC.png
    179.1 KB · Views: 73
Just tried AirDrop by bringing my iPad near the computer and it came right up in the Finder's AirDrop window. Both devices are on the same WiFi network and Bluetooth is enabled on them both. I didn't have to do any tweaking. Because both devices are also on the same AppleID, they are automatically recognized.

To check this, it's best to run IORegistryExplorer and type "XHC" in the search box on top, then scroll down a little bit to list out the XHC ports @14. Then clear the search box on top. Now plug and unplug your USB device in a few ports and see which ports turn red (when device removed) and which ones turn green (when device inserted). HSxx ports are USB 2.0 speed. SSxx ports are USB 3.0 speed.

Interesting.. I'm not even seeing any SSxx ports like you are seeing. Screenshot attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-12-15 22.23.32.png
    Screenshot 2018-12-15 22.23.32.png
    346.9 KB · Views: 75
@NoiseCoalition Apologies for the late reply -- this site was completely inaccessible all day yesterday.

To fix your USB ports:
  • Copy the file SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V3.aml from Post #1 to your CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder on the Mojave EFI partition and reboot.
  • Then check IORegistryViewer again to ensure that both HSxx (high speed) and SSxx (super speed) USB ports are showing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back