Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Ongoing Status of Designare Z390 with i7-9700K

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ripe_md If you downloaded MacOS 10.14.0 instead of 10.14.2, please note that SMBIOS MacMini8,1 will not work and you should use iMac14,2. Mac Mini 2018 is supported on 10.14.1 and onwards so after completing the installation using iMac14,2 and upgrading the 10.14.2, you can then change SMBIOS to Macmini8,1.

@ripe_md If you downloaded MacOS 10.14.0 instead of 10.14.2, please note that SMBIOS MacMini8,1 will not work and you should use iMac14,2. Mac Mini 2018 is supported on 10.14.1 and onwards so after completing the installation using iMac14,2 and upgrading the 10.14.2, you can then change SMBIOS to Macmini8,1.

I have to thank you very much for your support! Since Saturday I'm facing general (ISP) issues accessing tonymacx86.

I'm on 10.14.2 and will try to continue my work in the next couple of days, because currently I'm on a business trip. I'll keep you updated and hopefully can provide you some additional information for your guide.

@NoiseCoalition Apologies for the late reply -- this site was completely inaccessible all day yesterday.

To fix your USB ports:
  • Copy the file SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V3.aml from Post #1 to your CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder on the Mojave EFI partition and reboot.
  • Then check IORegistryViewer again to ensure that both HSxx (high speed) and SSxx (super speed) USB ports are showing.

Thanks @CaseySJ, that fixed it! And subsequently, that fixed my airdrop issue.

Now, I know that I said earlier that my Quicklook and Preview were both working. Seems like I spoke too soon and was just using quicklook / preview to view PNG files. However, JPEG files do not work in quicklook or preview. I changed my BIOS to Internal Graphics --> Enabled but then I was running into the same boot hang issue (screenshot attached) which made me turn it off in the first place. Going through this thread again and your build guide to see if I missed anything.

Attachments

• IMG_5824.jpg
    IMG_5824.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
I posted 2 different EFI folders in Post #116 that should apply to your case without any modification. But as we're seeing with @NoiseCoalition above, we cannot assume that things will work exactly! So be prepared for some tweaking...

I will create the Build Guide for this system soon, but in the meantime:

1. Create the USB installer with UniBeast using a USB 2 or USB 3 flash disk no bigger than 32GB. I used a Samsung Bar Plus USB 3.0 flash disk and inserted it into a USB 3 port on the rear I/O. This drive has 200 MB/s read speed, and Mojave was installed very quickly.

2. When UniBeast is done, mount the newly created EFI partition on the USB disk by running EFI Mounter v3. Then backup the entire EFI folder and replace it with CaseySJ-USB-Installer-EFI-Folder (rename the folder to EFI).

3. Make sure there are no PCIe cards in the system. Then download and flash the F4 BIOS to the motherboard by copying the BIOS file to the root folder of a different flash disk. After F4 BIOS is installed, enter BIOS Setup and change BIOS Settings as described in Post #1. And then remove this USB disk.

4. Insert the Mojave Installer USB disk in the system, then if you're still in BIOS Setup, choose "Save and Exit". When system reboots it should automatically boot from the Mojave Installer USB. If it does not, press F12 during boot and select the Mojave USB disk.

5. If you encounter "Couldn't allocate runtime area" or "Error allocating xxxx" messages on boot, try replacing AptioMemoryFix-64 in the EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder (on USB disk) with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 as described in Post #1 or a couple of posts before this one. Then reboot the system and see if the installation begins correctly.

For Post-Installation, you can again use EFI Mounter v3 to mount the Mojave EFI partition (usually disk0s1), backup the existing EFI folder, and replace it with FINAL-CONFIG-RENAME-TO-EFI (also in Post #116). If you have an AMD RX580, you can install that in PCIe slot 1 (x16) and then reboot the system (in this case connect display monitor to a video port on the RX580). If you're not using the RX580, simply delete this file from the EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder on the Mojave EFI partition: SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580.aml.

Please note that some people are reporting issues with their Thunderbolt 3 audio interfaces (see earlier posts in this thread). Certain makes/models of audio devices are working better than others.

By the way, this is an awesome motherboard and if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing!
I am having an issue ... i followed your post but i am not able to boot from clover ..... i post a picture to show where my installation stop ....
i have your same setup except i have i7 8700k ... i have updated to f4 bios but i am not able to find on bios M.I.T. extreme memory profile - profile1 ... it doesn't appear anywhere . i removed the 8pin cable from rx 580 ... i used the efi folder CaseySJ-USB-Installer-EFI-Folder ..
i generated a new id ... and i tried to change OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000... i really don't know what to do now

Attachments

• 48407633_1902492399864629_1524091504585342976_n.jpg
    48407633_1902492399864629_1524091504585342976_n.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 52
I am having an issue ... i followed your post but i am not able to boot from clover ..... i post a picture to show where my installation stop ....
i have your same setup except i have i7 8700k ... i have updated to f4 bios but i am not able to find on bios M.I.T. extreme memory profile - profile1 ... it doesn't appear anywhere . i removed the 8pin cable from rx 580 ... i used the efi folder CaseySJ-USB-Installer-EFI-Folder ..
i generated a new id ... and i tried to change OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000... i really don't know what to do now
This screenshot usually appears before the screen goes blank. Does your screen also go blank right after you see this message? If so, it just means that the iGPU is working in "headless" mode where it will NOT display video. What happens when you connect the 8-pin cable to the RX 580, move the HDMI cable to the RX 580, and reboot?

In my build guide I strongly recommend using the RX 580 from the very beginning.

Thanks @CaseySJ, that fixed it! And subsequently, that fixed my airdrop issue.

Now, I know that I said earlier that my Quicklook and Preview were both working. Seems like I spoke too soon and was just using quicklook / preview to view PNG files. However, JPEG files do not work in quicklook or preview. I changed my BIOS to Internal Graphics --> Enabled but then I was running into the same boot hang issue (screenshot attached) which made me turn it off in the first place. Going through this thread again and your build guide to see if I missed anything.
It looks like a problem with the kernel cache. Let's try this first:

• Boot to Clover, but choose the Recovery volume.
  • When Recovery starts, choose Terminal from Tools menu and type:
Code:
cd /
kextcache -i /Volumes/Mojave
  • This will rebuild the kernel cache. When complete, quit Terminal and Reboot from the Apple menu.
  • Then try booting your Mojave volume and see if the problem persists.

I have just added a detailed illustrated guide for Post Installation (METHOD 1) in the Build Guide. If you are facing various issues, please see all of the screenshots in each of the "spoiler" sections. You can even re-do your post-installation using METHOD 1.

Last edited:
This screenshot usually appears before the screen goes blank. Does your screen also go blank right after you see this message? If so, it just means that the iGPU is working in "headless" mode where it will NOT display video. What happens when you connect the 8-pin cable to the RX 580, move the HDMI cable to the RX 580, and reboot?

In my build guide I strongly recommend using the RX 580 from the very beginning.
hi casey , i have same problem if i add the 8 pin cable of the rx 580 and yes the screen goes blank... do u have some other thing to try? thanks

hi casey , i have same problem if i add the 8 pin cable of the rx 580 and yes the screen goes blank... do u have some other thing to try? thanks
I just need a little more information:
  • When you connect the 8-pin cable to RX 580 and also connect the video cable (HDMI or DisplayPort) to the RX 580, and reboot, does the screen show the same message and then go black?
  • When you connect the video cable (HDMI or DisplayPort) to the motherboard I/O video port and reboot, does the screen show the message and then go black?
  • Or does the screen show the message and go black in both of these 2 cases?

Rx580 connected hdmi out - the message and screen lost signal ... 8 pins disconnected hdmi gpu out same message and screen lost signal.. i used mojave 14.1.0 with unibeast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back