Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Old Hack, New Tricks II - Upgrading My GA-Z77X-UP5 TH System to Catalina

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7 9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
I just realised that my system is STILL USING the iGPU for encoding, despite the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS. I want to force encoding to my dGPU, not sure how to go about it yet. I will look into this and post my findings. As of now I can encode HEVC and h.264 in HD with about 195fps using VideoProc or AME.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7 9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
So. I reenabled my iGPU which doesn't seem to make any difference. Even with my iGPU deactivated in BIOS, Adobe ME and VideoProc still use it for encoding. I can tell because iStats doesn't show any dGPU activity while encoding.

Switching to iMacPro1,1 seems to enable HEVC hardware encoding. So I recommend using that. I haven't so far found a way to completely disable the iGPU so it would use the dGPU instead for encoding. But hey, 195fps is actually not bad at all :)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700XT
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Any chance of some advice, please?

I would love to upgrade my GA-Z77X-UP5-TH system from High Sierra to Catalina if possible.

I am currently using a Gigabyte GTX 1070Ti graphics card with NVidia Web Drivers. I appreciate that I will need to change to an AMD Radeon card for Catalina support.

My system is dual booting Windows 10 and High Sierra from separate SSDs.

As I also use it for gaming, what would be an equivalent or better AMD graphics card to my existing one?

How straightforward would the upgrade be or should I consider a fresh install? Can someone post their EFI folder and config.plist to assist if this is the case?

Thanks in advance.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i7-10700K
Graphics
AMD RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
Centris, Power Mac, Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Any chance of some advice, please?

I would love to upgrade my GA-Z77X-UP5-TH system from High Sierra to Catalina if possible.

I am currently using a Gigabyte GTX 1070Ti graphics card with NVidia Web Drivers. I appreciate that I will need to change to an AMD Radeon card for Catalina support.

My system is dual booting Windows 10 and High Sierra from separate SSDs.

As I also use it for gaming, what would be an equivalent or better AMD graphics card to my existing one?

How straightforward would the upgrade be or should I consider a fresh install? Can someone post their EFI folder and config.plist to assist if this is the case?

Thanks in advance.
Sorry, but that's beyond my expertise...I don't dual-boot or anything like that. But in general, I would suggest following the normal macOS and dual-boot tutorials here on Tonymac to succeed - they have been the basis of all of my work in keeping this old system up and running.

For video cards, I would start with something like this to guide thinking about this, then bounce it against Tonymac hardware recommendations:

Finally, I'd suggest a fresh install (with MultiBeast now being released for Catalina). I'm probably going to try my hand at that for my daily driver to shake some issues that I suspect are residual from upgrading from a build that started as High Sierra and was upgraded and used to both Mojave and Catalina.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i7-10700K
Graphics
AMD RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
Centris, Power Mac, Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Motherboard
AsRock Taïchi Z-370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Sapphire Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
Thanks @itwas for your information!

I was able to get my system up to Catalina this week. Everything continues to work great-- mainly just bumping this thread again to ask if anyone had any success getting their machine to sleep or if anyone has any experience getting clover to a higher resolution for a 4K monitor. The sleep thing seems like a crap shoot for many systems, but I haven't been able to have any luck, so I find myself leaving it logged into my windows disk more often just because I know it'll sleep properly.

As for the 4K clover boot screen, the most information I've found elsewhere is that you have to disable CSM and switch your OS to "other OS" but I haven't seen any way to do that in our BIOS and disabling CSM seems to outright kill the system until you refresh the CMOS. I found a 4K catalina theme and tried using that but that made things worse somehow-- the screen ended up even lower resolution than it does with my mojave theme! Obviously I've tried setting the resolution with Clover Configurator but that doesn't seem to do much to help. It's the only drawback of having a fancy new monitor currently.
In Mojave, I have the same CMOS crash here, if I try to switch bios to other os windows 8 to set CSM never. GTX 680. Doing research, gtx 680 is not UEFI...So my totally unconfirmed intuition is that installing UEFI only might give problems to Nvidia owners. And that because of that we might need some older uefi64 clover drivers...

Motherboard
AsRock Taïchi Z-370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Sapphire Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
To whom it may concern: I deactivated the iGPU, switched to iMacPro1,1 and now HEVC is supported in VideoProc. Not sure which measure actually did the trick. But like you said, FCP and PP probably do it anyways. Didn't test it yet, though. Does it even make any sense to activate the iGPU at all? It doesn't output 4K so it's pretty useless for video output. It might be possible that it slows things down more than it actually helps.
with what GPU?

Motherboard
AsRock Taïchi Z-370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Sapphire Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
Not CPU, GPU. Just add that second build in your signature. Half of the information you gave in you interventions is of no use if we don't know the hardware. As this is a z77 thread.... I already know for newer boards like you Designate the iMac Pro 1.1 with no IGPU in bios will give you all that. What I want to know is if it will work with UDH board and my GPU. And although I've read 7 of you comments in the 7 pages here I still don't know what GPU you use with your z77-ud5h or z77-upth board, and if it's applicable to my set up.