Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> [SUCCESS] Mojave on Gigabyte x79-UP4, GTX680, i7 3820

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I've tried to use the EFI to make a USB, but it won't boot.
Is there any one can help?
I use "sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/UNTITLED" to make a bootable USB first.

And use Clover to make the USB bootable by PC hardware,
and use Clover Configurator mount the EFI partition and paste "EFI" folder in to EFI partition.

then set the USB to boot in BIOS.
And nothing happen...
Please help ~
Thank you guys.

Hi Joe.vrolijk and all X79ers on this post!

Firstly I'd like to thank you for your community spirit as I used your custom EFI as a starting point for my system and (bar a few tweaks) it's running Catalina smoothly!

I have had the same fabled USB 3 issues as many people though and I feel like I've got as far as I can with my research and nothing has worked. All of my front and back USB 2 ports work great, but seemingly no matter what I try the USB 3 ports just aren't playing ball.

I've tried BIOS settings, the 'go-to' kexts and DSDT patches but with no luck. Has anyone had any luck in getting their USB 3s working in Catalina? Or am I going to have to get my head around the port patching option?

If anyone's found any simpler fix's I'd greatly appreciate the advice!

TIA

.....I'm going to have to patch it aren't I.....

*bump* Sorry for the re-pester, but if anyone has any experience in USB3 speeds [Catalina] - even if it's "no they just don't work - it would be really great to hear. With FL1009 kext everything I plug in is recognised, but all speeds are capped at 40mbps read/write...! I've been researching this for weeks now and just keep hitting the same brick wall that the ports aren't named according to the current guides and therefore I can't map using hackintool/ other mapping tools. Utterdisbelief explained the reasoning behind this port name issue but any hands on advice from people that have gone through the same process would be amazing...!

Happy holidays and whatnot!

n.b/ I've tried patching the original way and also based on 'property mapping' but nothing seems to do anything!

*bump* Sorry for the re-pester, but if anyone has any experience in USB3 speeds [Catalina] - even if it's "no they just don't work - it would be really great to hear. With FL1009 kext everything I plug in is recognised, but all speeds are capped at 40mbps read/write...! I've been researching this for weeks now and just keep hitting the same brick wall that the ports aren't named according to the current guides and therefore I can't map using hackintool/ other mapping tools. Utterdisbelief explained the reasoning behind this port name issue but any hands on advice from people that have gone through the same process would be amazing...!

Happy holidays and whatnot!

n.b/ I've tried patching the original way and also based on 'property mapping' but nothing seems to do anything!

Fresco Logic are a third-party USB chipset and as such not fully configurable.

The FL1009 kext is something I've never seen. Where did you source it? An official driver disk perhaps? Usually the chipset supported by Apple is FL1100. Even then it is not treated like built-in ports, it is treated as an add-on, just as though you have plugged a pci-e expansion card into a Mac Pro.

The ports will be attached to different areas of the PCI tree. Usually the RP** nodes, or PXSX. Not XHCI or EHCI. X79 USB2 ports are UHCI.

But I think I explained this before. The facts haven't changed.

No way will Fresco Logic behave as Intel internal. The speeds will be what they are. Later X*** chipset motherboards are more modern.

Windows is a different ball-game but not relevant to macOS.

Fresco Logic are a third-party USB chipset and as such not fully configurable.

The FL1009 kext is something I've never seen. Where did you source it? An official driver disk perhaps? Usually the chipset supported by Apple is FL1100. Even then it is not treated like built-in ports, it is treated as an add-on, just as though you have plugged a pci-e expansion card into a Mac Pro.

The ports will be attached to different areas of the PCI tree. Usually the RP** nodes, or PXSX. Not XHCI or EHCI. X79 USB2 ports are UHCI.

But I think I explained this before. The facts haven't changed.

No way will Fresco Logic behave as Intel internal. The speeds will be what they are. Later X*** chipset motherboards are more modern.

Windows is a different ball-game but not relevant to macOS.
lol Sorry I forget that being a moderator you'll see all my ramblings...! but thanks for your response. I've just had a look and I've been on so many threads about this I cant remember where I found the FL1009.

Interestingly after a bit of work, my System report is know clocking the USB3 bus@ 5Gbps [see attached], but disk speed test still hits 40mbps... Does this mean I can somehow fix this up to full speed or is it just another by-product of the incompatibility you described?

You did indeed explain the naming issues in another thread I was just trying to get my head round whether anyone had found a work around for it :)

Further to this (sorry...) My USB2s are attached to EH01&EH02 in IOReg. My USB3 are attached to PEX5&6, is this equivalent to the naming behaviour you're describing above? see attached IOreport if you like...

Finally, I'm not sure what you mean by "Windows is a different ball-game but not relevant to macOS.". If that was in reference to the Property mapping I mentioned, this was from an alternative Hackintosh method I hunted down on one of my Search engine black holes. (Can find the link if you wish).

I've attached the Fresco kext, incase you fancied having a look at it.

Many thanks for you thorough help with this issue :)

Attachments

• System Report 1.png
    System Report 1.png
    63.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IOReg 1.png
    IOReg 1.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 60
  • USBXHCI_FL1009.kext.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 54
lol Sorry I forget that being a moderator you'll see all my ramblings...! but thanks for your response. I've just had a look and I've been on so many threads about this I cant remember where I found the FL1009.

Interestingly after a bit of work, my System report is know clocking the USB3 bus@ 5Gbps [see attached], but disk speed test still hits 40mbps... Does this mean I can somehow fix this up to full speed or is it just another by-product of the incompatibility you described?

You did indeed explain the naming issues in another thread I was just trying to get my head round whether anyone had found a work around for it :)

Further to this (sorry...) My USB2s are attached to EH01&EH02 in IOReg. My USB3 are attached to PEX5&6, is this equivalent to the naming behaviour you're describing above? see attached IOreport if you like...

Finally, I'm not sure what you mean by "Windows is a different ball-game but not relevant to macOS.". If that was in reference to the Property mapping I mentioned, this was from an alternative Hackintosh method I hunted down on one of my Search engine black holes. (Can find the link if you wish).

I've attached the Fresco kext, incase you fancied having a look at it.

Many thanks for you thorough help with this issue :)

No problem. That's what I'm here for. :thumbup:

Okay, the kext is by RehabMan so I understand now. It no-longer appears in his repository and he changed his approach to a GenericUSBXHCI.kext which covered a few other chipsets too. Trouble is the kext is 5-years old now. Sometimes it works, more often it does not. I have not tested FL1009.kext. Would it have Device-IDs inside it for FL1100 chipsets?

Back to your hardware - you do not have any EHCI controllers. Yours are UHCI and we don't have a specific method for enabling and controlling these. Hackintool is a great utility which will do its best to activate what it sees. No you can't make the access speeds any faster because you are using a chipset Apple doesn't. You can't change a push-bike into a Ferrari just by putting a Ferrari serial-number on it. You might be able to change the power-delivery using an SSDT-EC.aml patch or one of the alternatives but that is not the same thing. I haven't tested this.

As for the EHCI renaming. Clearly that was not intended for UHCI. What it exists for is converting a Windows/Other OS way of describing things to an Apple way: EHC1 to EH01, EHC2 to EH02 etc.etc. The actual controllers are physically the same EHCI. Renaming UHCI may work as a trick but bear in mind EHCI has 2x controllers, UHCI has 6x. The feeling is you may be disappointed.

As for where the ports appear in IOReg, an export dump would be needed to analyse more. A screengrab is not enough. However you may not wish to have confirmed what we already know.

My Windows comment is because people throw the "...but it works fine under Windows so it should be working now" comment at us. This is true because hardware manufacturers more often than not produce Windows drivers for their products. Our expectations should be limited to the hardware Apple used. We have to "trick" everything else into working.

Perhaps live with the limitations of your venerable old hardware. It's powerful and worthy of preserving. But not recognised by Mojave or Catalina so it will work but with limitations. People often buy add-on USB3 PCI-e cards that have Apple drivers instead.

:)

Hi all, apologies for dredging up an old tech question but I'm hoping someone may be able to help me....! Basically every time I boot my machine I get a "boot failure detected" message. I've looked online and can't find a fix, but sorry if it's a daft question.

Basically I can just enter BIOS, then exit without saving and everything works as it should. It's just a bit of a faff doing that every time.
I've overclocked to 4.2Ghz. I'm assuming it's got something to do with that but everything is stable once it's up and running.... Could it be my voltages? I tried fiddling with those settings but I was a bit out of my depth tbh.

Does anyone have any hot tips?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3213.jpg
    IMG_3213.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 48
Hi the mop!!!!
I encountered the same problem after flashing' F4 bios (the latest official for my motherboard from Gigabyte Windows versione of bios updater called @Bios .

That was, for me the only way to update that bios version, as Q-flash (internal bios flash tool) refused to do that, telling me to refer to GByte's site.

After the flash the system always gave me the same screen of failure as you twice before booting.

I was quite gonna take a knife and kill my mother (board:mrgreen:) for the frustration.:banghead:

But then simply re-flashing from Q-flash directly from the bios (and with the same file as before used with @Bios) made its maggggggic!
No more error EVER. :twisted: :thumbup:

I think you already solved, but I thought it may help some old venerable pieces of hardware lovers like us to fix our GrandMotherBoards afflictions. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Thanks to @UtterDisbelief finally I naw can rest in peace for what matters my motherboard's usb3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back