Contribute
Register

[Success] Mini-ITX build GIGABYTE Z390 I AORUS PRO WiFi + i9 9900K

I have two Samsung 970 PRO 1 TB SSDs in my build; have not heard of a 970 PRO PLUS... do you have a link to a source? Do you possibly mean the Samsung 970 EVO PLUS?
Apologies, my mistake. Yes I was referring to the Samsung 970 EVO PLUS.

Yes I was referring to the Samsung 970 EVO PLUS.
I think you are not alone in having problems with that model... or so I have read on this forum. I can tell you that the 970 PROs (both) work fine in my system.

I think you are not alone in having problems with that model... or so I have read on this forum. I can tell you that the 970 PROs (both) work fine in my system.

I managed to successfully setup my Hakintosh today, and I am currently using the Samsung 970 Pro Plus. The firmware for the 970 Pro Plus needs to be updated for it to be useable by a hackintosh.

You'll need to access the 970 Pro Plus via Windows and use the Samsung Magician Software for Consumer SSD(3) application to flash the latest firmware. Download the app and firmware from Samsung's SSD Tools & Software page. I flashed mine with the 'Samsung_SSD_970_EVO_Plus_2B2QEXM7.iso'.

After flashing, it's plug and play within hackintosh.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-08-29 at 2.24.48 AM.png
    Screenshot 2019-08-29 at 2.24.48 AM.png
    175.1 KB · Views: 103
  • Screenshot 2019-08-29 at 2.26.19 AM.png
    Screenshot 2019-08-29 at 2.26.19 AM.png
    351.1 KB · Views: 94

Me too. I have the 970 EVO Plus, and it wasn't working with the firmware installed as shipped.
I got the latest Samsung Firmware (2B2QEXM7) iso update from here.
Side note: I was on Catalina, so the unetbooter wouldn't work there.
Using another computer with Mojave the unetbooter works and I made a USB to update the 970 EVO Plus.
I did not need to use Windows at all to do this.
Put the USB in, booted from it using F12, and it automatically detected the 970 EVO Plus and flashed it.

Another side note: After selecting APFS, Encrypted for format in Disk Util, I had trouble installing to the drive. After I reluctantly selected Mac Extended, Journaled when formatting the Drive, and it installed fine, but after install I looked at the drive and it is in fact APFS after install. Still trying to figure out how that happened.

It does work perfectly with the latest firmware update.

Last edited:
I reluctantly selected Mac Extended, Journaled when formatting the Drive, and it installed fine, but after install I looked at the drive and it is in fact APFS after install.
The Mac OS Installer will convert any drive format to APFS for the cases of High Sierra or Mojave OS installation onto an SSD. If you want either OS version on an HFS+ drive, it takes some trickiness. In my case, I have two SSDs, so Installing either 10.13.x or 10.14.x on one drive created Mac OS on an APFS drive. So I formatted the other drive with HFS+, and used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the OS to the HFS+ drive. I then erased the APFS drive and formatted it as HFS+, then used CCC to copy the OS back to it. CCC does not alter the destination file system.

So I somehow managed to get it to work without doing anything special again other than reinstalling and trying things over and over again about thirty times... I'm not sure what I changed or if my UniBeast USB was bad, but I was having trouble getting the installs to work.
It took about four reboots to get the install to finish this last time, I used MultiBeast like usual, and then used Clover Configurator to add the "slide=0" and used SMBIOS 19,1 this time. Preview, sleep, etc all seem to be working.

Can you some how share your EFI folder and boot folder? .... I'm having this issue. too, and tried different combo's to solve it, but nothing... Can you post your EFI and boot folder... that would be a great help...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, for this part "
Prepare USB Installer with UniBeast for Mojave
3a. Make some minor modifications to USB EFI Partition using Clover Configurator
• Open USB Stick EFI Partition, navigate to EFI/CLOVER/
• Drag config.plist onto Clover Configurator app icon to open

i can't find this option on BOOT

• Boot → Verbose : Enable, slide : 0

any idea ?

1568547561406.png

Thanks

Hi, for this part "
Prepare USB Installer with UniBeast for Mojave
3a. Make some minor modifications to USB EFI Partition using Clover Configurator
• Open USB Stick EFI Partition, navigate to EFI/CLOVER/
• Drag config.plist onto Clover Configurator app icon to open

i can't find this option on BOOT

• Boot → Verbose : Enable, slide : 0

any idea ?

View attachment 425948

Thanks
click the plus icon to add in the extra arguments

Attachments

• 1568548018420.png
    1568548018420.png
    47.2 KB · Views: 59