Contribute
Register

[Success] Mini-ITX build GIGABYTE Z390 I AORUS PRO WiFi + i9 9900K

Now using Mojave 10.14.6 (Build 18G87) and all works well. Configuration at left. my EFI folder is zipped below, if that helps anyone.

Sure helped me. Initially most of my USB ports didn't work. Then I got them to work with mapping them out and generating a USBMap kext... but no USB 3 devices would recognize. Figuring I had nothing to lose, and running 10.14.6 too with identical hardware as your build (but with a puny processor), I just copypasta'd everything in your archive folder, replacing my own. Now I have functioning USB 3. Odd that your Other kext folder is barren, I previously had a ton of crap in mine following what others had done for this board (and that clearly didn't work well for me)

Only gripe is that my USB C connector on the back is charge only - will not recognize anything (android phone charge only - no PC connection detected, ext drive just lights up but never blinks-never detected). Same as it has always been. I have a beastly little external M2 drive that I'd love to use on it, but at this point whatever! The external enclosure came with a USB-A connector and then a USB-C nub that you can attach, so I'll just omit the C nub. 650 MB/s on the USB 3.1 Gen 2 USB-A port.. works for me! And coincidence or not, the machine finally sleeps, restarts & shuts down without acting a fool. Also never hangs on black screen with progress bar - which I was guessing was linked to USB devices I had plugged in.

Last edited:
Odd that your Other kext folder is barren
According to the info I have read on this forum, the only kext needed in the "other" folder is FakeSMC, which is there. My USB SSDT excludes the USB C connector since I do not use it, and I needed to reduce my USB port count to 15. IIRC, one of the other ports is also excluded. I think it is the one just below the Ethernet port... but not sure.

The technique I used to generate the SSDT in my "ACPI/patched" folder was MacMan's writeup for extracting it from my computer's DSDT file per his instructions. (I used to use RehabMan's procedure for my earlier computers, which had worked fine for them.)

I previously had a lot of trouble with shutdown, etc. which IMHO was caused by earlier versions of Mojave, but that problem is gone now. Probably the improvement in your (and my) black screen problems is due to the latest Lilu and WhateverGreen kexts in /Library, but I had nothing to do with that on your machine.

Surprised that stuff helped, since your motherboard type at left is unknown to me, and looks like a Haswell architecture rather than like my Coffeelake board.

Last edited:
Surprised that stuff helped, since your motherboard type at left is unknown to me, and looks like a Haswell architecture rather than like my Coffeelake board.

Ahh, yea old old old build in the text under my user name. Current stuff in my signature, the same Z390 I Aorus pro wifi that you have - and what my post was about. That old haswell was put out to pasture years ago. Thanks again

I like the case is that a rx 580 nitro fitting in case? If so I want one as well.

Unsolicited response here: It does fit in a Cooler Master Elite 130 (see below).

12. Graphics In Left.JPG

@benmingli
Nice build just bought this same mb my prev one sc USB port. I'm starting my second hackintosh and want one that's more compact. I like the case is that a RX 580 Nitro fitting in case? If so, I want one as well.

ordered the mems, procie, and motherboard.... will be using an rx 580 pulse....

one question... does it work with dual monitor set-up?

Hi, Anyone managed to get the Samsung 970 Pro PLUS working (even after flashing the latest firmware for that drive)? Are you guys using APFS?

Success installing mojave:
- z390i pro wifi
- i7 9700k
- corsair vengance lpx 16G 3200 *2
- OnBoard graphics - UHD 630
Installed just a couple on nights ago, used the method that started this thread.
I changed my network card on the MB to broadcom as a friend told me it might be easier to make the wifi work, but it didn't. I don't know which one is easier to set up (intel or broadcom), but I will try to replace the card back to the intel one and try again, since I still have some BT problems.
In general all seems pretty stable, boot is smooth and quick and didn't hit any errors in any of the dozens restarts I did trying to fix the network.
Not working:
Audio - planned to use external SC anyway so I don't really care, but I couldn't fix the on-board audio.
BT - can't find or connect any devices, although the BT is recognized by macOS.
WiFi - had a lot of trouble with this one, I got it working with Rehab's files from here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/broadcom-wifi-bluetooth-guide.242423/
I think I'll replace the card back to the intel one and see whats what...

All the rest is working well.

My setup is almost 95% similar with only a different HDD. I accidentally bought the Samsung 970 Pro Plus so I've used a different HDD. Unfortunately even after following all the steps and tweaking here and there as best as I could, I was never able to successfully install Mojave. Everything at the final 2 minutes during the installation process, the system would hang a bit and will display ....<Notice>:Bye.. and then it will reboot back to clover. I am currently stuck there. Would you be so kind to share you EFI?

Hi, Anyone managed to get the Samsung 970 Pro PLUS working...
I have two Samsung 970 PRO 1 TB SSDs in my build; have not heard of a 970 PRO PLUS... do you have a link to a source? Do you possibly mean the Samsung 970 EVO PLUS?

Back