Contribute
Register

[Success] Intel Core i7 3770k - GA-Z77X-UD5H - Mountain Lion - 560ti - 8gb RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your build looks amazing!

I am going to be building a very similar build in the next few weeks, which will be my first hackintosh in about 3-4 years. So if you can answer any of my questions I would be really grateful.

Did you install Mountain Lion from nothing, not upgrade from Lion?

If you did the above, did you just use Unibeast - Mountain Lion 1.5.1 to make the bootable USB drive?

I too will be using an ivy bridge processor, am I correct in thinking that using Mountain lion avoids the need to use bridge helper 5 as the new MacBooks are using ivy bridge?

What firmware is your motherboard on?

I'm sorry if any of these questions are a bit noobish, I'm just trying to be back in the swing of things!

Thanks a lot.

- I did a clean install on a brand new empty SSD.
- I used Unibeast under ML on my MacBook Pro to create the drive from the app store installer.
- Correct, no need to use Bridge Helper under ML as IvyBridge is supported out-of-the-box.
- I'm on BIOS F4, I was going to update but could only find a .exe update file which I can't run due to lack of Windows. It works great under F4 so I don't think I'll risk updating in case I break OS X.

I have your twin on my desk. However, I am fighting the BIOS to get it right for the Unibeast 1.5.2 and Multibeast 4.6.1.... Can you share your BIOS settings. The BIOS will take .bmp pictures when you are in it by pressing F12 and having a windows formatted USB thumbdrive in the USB port. It saves them with a BMP format image. I think that this will answer several fundamental questions as I am used to BIOS from the EP45 series and this is really new BIOS setup for me. I successfully built and have used 5 Hackintosh systems from 10.6 on up and this is the first one I have had trouble with.

Thanks in advance,

I'm just on the "Optimized Defaults" BIOS settings with my SATA controller in AHCI (which I think was default anyway) - The only BIOS settings that I changed are those that I used to overclock but ML worked fine even before that!

- I'm on BIOS F4, I was going to update but could only find a .exe update file which I can't run due to lack of Windows. It works great under F4 so I don't think I'll risk updating in case I break OS X.

The exe is just a 7zip file. If you extract it with something like Keka, you can stick it on a USB drive and use the Q-Flash util in the BIOS to upgrade :headbang:

Stuffit Expander for Expanding .exe Files

Better yet! Use Stuffit Expander - a well known Mac app.

The BIOS comes as .exe file which is a self "uncompressing" file when executed in Windows. However, you can "uncompress" the file in SL or Lion by using the free StuffIt Expander on it. Then, put the uncompressed (IIRC) .bin file on the USB thumb drive.

I wonder if the sound ports are showing up mislabeled under OS X for the GA-Z77 family of mother boards. I wasn't able to get the back green output port on a GA-Z77-DS3H until I shunted output to the "internal speaker" (http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...lion-ga-z77-ds3h-i5-3750k-hd4000-grapics.html).

With regards to the bios updates as window's exe's: it would certainly be nice if they just published them unzipped. For my board, the .exe is 3.6MB and the uncompressed bios file alone is 3.6MB.

Great build! Your rig looks awesome!

My hackintosh has the same motherboard and graphic card and is working fine, well most of time.

I have some issues with my machine and I want to ask your experiences and advises.

1. I had to unplug the my 560 Ti when I install ML from USB stick. Or it would give me black screen. Did you install your ML with 560Ti plugged?

2. I'm also experiencing something really strange. I randomly got color squares all over my screen and the system freezes except my the mouse. It happens more often when I didn't do anything on the machine. Have you experienced similar stuff?

I'm using EVGA 560 Ti card, guessing maybe the brand makes the difference. So if you experiences no problem, I'm considering switch to the Asus 560 Ti you are using.

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately I cannot find OSX software that measures the CPU temperature so will need to wait until I install Windows for that.

Will the widget iStat pro work?

Great build! Your rig looks awesome!

My hackintosh has the same motherboard and graphic card and is working fine, well most of time.

I have some issues with my machine and I want to ask your experiences and advises.

1. I had to unplug the my 560 Ti when I install ML from USB stick. Or it would give me black screen. Did you install your ML with 560Ti plugged?

2. I'm also experiencing something really strange. I randomly got color squares all over my screen and the system freezes except my the mouse. It happens more often when I didn't do anything on the machine. Have you experienced similar stuff?

I'm using EVGA 560 Ti card, guessing maybe the brand makes the difference. So if you experiences no problem, I'm considering switch to the Asus 560 Ti you are using.

Thanks in advance!

With UEFI board, i had to do the same thing unplug my GTX580 before installing ML otherwise Black screen after apple logo loads up. But with Award bios, no problem with graphic card in . It could be UEFI bios or Unibeast 1.5.3 installation doesn't detect the graphics.

With your 560 Ti, i read in the forum, it is a known issue with some nvidia models on ML.

Thank you. I have sold my 560Ti and got GT640 instead. I believe the GPU type makes the difference where GT640 has the same GPU type (107) as GT650M in the rMBP and can work seamlessly. Reinstall the MacOS 10.8 and it runs perfectly so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back