Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

Hi there jiffyslot. I'm currently running the Titan Ridge and F11 BIOS, hence hot-swap is not working with it, but I haven't tried hot-swap in the latest version 18D109.
So I guess you are using your Alpine Ridge with the F10 BIOS, and it's gone south for the winter with this latest 10.14.3 18D109. What patch are you referring to?
I've been busy installing KDE on Arch Linux, where my TB3 Titan Ridge works OTB as TB support has been in the Linux Kernel for sometime. I don't have to pull out what is left of my very white hair!

Hi @jb007

Thanks for getting back to me so soon. I'm on F7 for my Alpine Ridge AIC because there's something that was removed in higher versions that prevented hot-swappery. The F10 is for the Ultra Gaming 7 version of our Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 board used in this @HackaShaq build. If your board matches mine, F7 is the equivalent of F10 on the Ultra board. So, I tried booting from the backups that have no changes to the EFI folder, but have been upgraded to 10.14.4. Clover version on boot is 2.4k, Rev. 4769.

The patches are from here in this thread:

Post #1502 and #1504. 1504 has your 2 files inside the zip file for renaming Titan Ridge to Alpine Ridge.

If you want, see https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...derbolt-3-hotplug.248784/page-41#post-1901021 Post# 406 and 407 for the origin of the @LeleTuratti Thunderbolt fix.)

FWIW: Because my workflow has the Apollo on at all times from when I boot the computer until I shut it down (and it still will spontaneously restart which is something new) -I never noticed the hot swap lapse until last night. So the only thing I can attribute it to would be the update to 10.14.3.

The attached files are copies of the patches and a de-serialized version of my Config file, if you are interested in that.

Attachments

• Config and SSDTs.zip
    7.2 KB · Views: 58
Hi @jb007

Thanks for getting back to me so soon. I'm on F7 for my Alpine Ridge AIC because there's something that was removed in higher versions that prevented hot-swappery. The F10 is for the Ultra Gaming 7 version of our Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 board used in this @HackaShaq build. If your board matches mine, F7 is the equivalent of F10 on the Ultra board. So, I tried booting from the backups that have no changes to the EFI folder, but have been upgraded to 10.14.4. Clover version on boot is 2.4k, Rev. 4769.

The patches are from here in this thread:

Post #1502 and #1504. 1504 has your 2 files inside the zip file for renaming Titan Ridge to Alpine Ridge.

If you want, see https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...derbolt-3-hotplug.248784/page-41#post-1901021 Post# 406 and 407 for the origin of the @LeleTuratti Thunderbolt fix.)

FWIW: Because my workflow has the Apollo on at all times from when I boot the computer until I shut it down (and it still will spontaneously restart which is something new) -I never noticed the hot swap lapse until last night. So the only thing I can attribute it to would be the update to 10.14.3.

The attached files are copies of the patches and a de-serialized version of my Config file, if you are interested in that.

I guess that if the only thing that has changed is the version, then there might be a issue with this latest 10.14.4.
Interestingly @jacknva is also having reboots as mentioned in his post. I also meant F7 BIOS. Doh!
Maybe if you create a new thread for help or rollback to 10.14.13 and see if the issues go away.
Due to various personal reasons, I will not be able to contribute as much on this forum.

I guess that if the only thing that has changed is the version, then there might be a issue with this latest 10.14.4.
Interestingly @jacknva is also having reboots as mentioned in his post. I also meant F7 BIOS. Doh!
Maybe if you create a new thread for help or rollback to 10.14.13 and see if the issues go away.
Due to various personal reasons, I will not be able to contribute as much on this forum.

Sorry you aren't able to hoist as much as you did before. I hope you and yours are well. You're the reason I'm even able to use a hack, so thank you again. -About the future contribution gap, here's where a Vulcan mind-meld would come in handy, so I could do the heavy lifting. ;)

I was hoping you'd start that new Thunderbolt thread you used to talk about. Should we just go to the @kgp and @LeleTuratti posts for Thunderbolt?

I'm reinstalling with the new Uni/MultiBeast tools on a 4th SSD to see if it still breaks with a fresh install of 10.14.3. If it does,. I'll make an installer from 10.14.2 and try again. I'll post again, understanding your other obligations, of course.

Sorry you aren't able to hoist as much as you did before. I hope you and yours are well. You're the reason I'm even able to use a hack, so thank you again. -About the future contribution gap, here's where a Vulcan mind-meld would come in handy, so I could do the heavy lifting. ;)

I was hoping you'd start that new Thunderbolt thread you used to talk about. Should we just go to the @kgp and @LeleTuratti posts for Thunderbolt?

I'm reinstalling with the new Uni/MultiBeast tools on a 4th SSD to see if it still breaks with a fresh install of 10.14.3. If it does,. I'll make an installer from 10.14.2 and try again. I'll post again, understanding your other obligations, of course.

I appreciate your kind words, thanks. I will still be around and I will still have my hack setup. I have some health issues that I'm trying to get on top of, and also I want to concentrate on some of my electronic projects. Titan Ridge does not like to be hot-plugged on my system ATM, so I'm using it under Linux which has had TB support in it's kernel for sometime. Another issue is using Blender and OpenCL under macOS... it's been removed in the latest version of Blender (2.8) and even though AMD is sponsoring a developer full time to work with Blender and OpenCL, I can't hang around for ever, hence another reason to the move to Linux. For my use-case Linux just makes more sense ATM, and then most of the apps I need are free.

With the thunderbolt issues, give the experts a bell. One of the issues I've had with macOS is learning the underlying systems and how it's all tied together. Its a steep learning curve even with my hardware/software background and sometimes it totally overloads this 60+ brain of mine. It makes me realise that I'm getting older.

But I've been down this road before, and have returned to macOS, so I guess never say never!

I appreciate your kind words, thanks. I will still be around and I will still have my hack setup. I have some health issues that I'm trying to get on top of, and also I want to concentrate on some of my electronic projects. Titan Ridge does not like to be hot-plugged on my system ATM, so I'm using it under Linux which has had TB support in it's kernel for sometime. Another issue is using Blender and OpenCL under macOS... it's been removed in the latest version of Blender (2.8) and even though AMD is sponsoring a developer full time to work with Blender and OpenCL, I can't hang around for ever, hence another reason to the move to Linux. For my use-case Linux just makes more sense ATM, and then most of the apps I need are free.

With the thunderbolt issues, give the experts a bell. One of the issues I've had with macOS is learning the underlying systems and how it's all tied together. Its a steep learning curve even with my hardware/software background and sometimes it totally overloads this 60+ brain of mine. It makes me realise that I'm getting older.

But I've been down this road before, and have returned to macOS, so I guess never say never!

@jb007 I wish you all the best for your health issues. You are the man :)

Please take care of your self buddy :)

Sorry to hear about this, man. Take care of yourself for sure. Going forward, if I @tag you in a comment, please think of it as a notification/ping and please don't feel obligated to respond because now I know what's up. I'm just wanting to include you in my Hack pokings. Again, thank you so much for the config help (really, I think you did everything but click the SN), the USB SSDT and the TB SSDT renaming Titan Ridge to Alpine Ridge. If it weren't for your workings, I'd be running Windows instead of Mojave. I've learned a lot from you. I hope to see you around here from time to time as you always have something interesting to share.

Sincerely,

j -Master of the Furthy :lol:

Please take care of your self buddy :)
Thanks, I'll be looking in regularly, just won't be able to respond to some of the requests for help on this thread due to time commitments etc. For the last couple of weeks I've been holding back on answering some of the posts. I was going to create a separate thread for Mojave, but unfortunately I'm not in the position to do it, which reminds me I better tell @trs96 I can't do it.

Sorry to hear about this, man. Take care of yourself for sure. Going forward, if I @tag you in a comment, please think of it as a notification/ping and please don't feel obligated to respond because now I know what's up. I'm just wanting to include you in my Hack pokings. Again, thank you so much for the config help (really, I think you did everything but click the SN), the USB SSDT and the TB SSDT renaming Titan Ridge to Alpine Ridge. If it weren't for your workings, I'd be running Windows instead of Mojave. I've learned a lot from you. I hope to see you around here from time to time as you always have something interesting to share.

Sincerely,

j -Master of the Furthy :lol:
"j -Master of the Furthy :lol:" :lol:

Thanks @jiffyslot , I will be popping in on a regular basis, but now is the time for me to get on with some of my projects and also look after some of my health issues. I've also learnt a lot of things through this forum by researching or filtering through all of the posts on the various topics and issues raised by users, mainly on this thread.
This thread is getting far to big for the average user to 'wade' through to find the many tips I and others have posted. This thread was created by @HackaShaq for his High Sierra build, but then it took on a life of its own. From what I understand he is unable to support this thread due to time and or work commitments, and I was asked if I could create a separate thread for support for Mojave and all of the other little things I have documented on here like USB, TB, USB Power.... Creating the thread does take time, but the time to support it also takes time, time I can't commit to ATM. I feel bad that I can't commit to it ATM.

Cheers Jim :geek:

I've run into a couple of small issues with my hack that I can't seem to quite work out. Any help would be appreciated (config.plist is attached- can provide any other info needed!).

1) My powered external USB drives will not mount, nor are they visible in disk utility, etc. USB sticks and my external USB SSDs (unpowered) work just fine, so this was a surprise to me. I double-checked my kexts and have the recommended patches from the guide. Did I miss something?

2) Encoding video via Handbrake (I'm slowly ripping our movie collection from disc to digital) isn't working properly. Using the latest Handbrake, the encoded video is very pixellated/choppy. Movies play back fine from disc, so not sure what's going on there.

I also don't have DRM video from iTunes working, but based on what I've read about that, it'll be a minor miracle if I ever do get that to work!

Edit: Should probably add that I followed the guide exactly, except I used Mojave instead of High Sierra since I couldn't get my hands on a High Sierra installer.

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.2 KB · Views: 66
Back