Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

Hi @jiffyslot, I re-read this post and it had me wondering about Filevault, which I have never used before. Well I have it working on my test SSD system with FileVault encryption etc. So, can I ask what caused you problems, was it the encryption of your SSD or not being able to boot it from Clover, or some other malady?

Seems a pity not to be able to use it for your main use-case.

All seems to be working fine here, but I don't have much data on my test system, and it's also formatted in APFS, which I now use instead of HPFS+. I have a Paragon utility that can read the APFS format, and write as long as it has no snapshots.

Jim:geek:

Yeah, it was wierd because once you install, it would seem that you're already inside the "MacOS infrastructure..."
IIRC, I was getting prohib symbols after Clover went through it's thing and going into Preboot or whatever, so I gave it up for a working system. Maybe I "did it wrong" –although my genuine Macs have HFS+ Encrypted-format SSDs + FileVault with no problems at all. Even the media volumes are HFS+ encrypted with no speed penalty, of course.

But I can encrypt media drives and mount them with no problems on the hack, just not the boot volume.

My decision to stay all HFS+ was because I had a little (but enough) data loss on some media SSDs, so that was a no-go.
I love Mojave, but I'm wary of APFS. I just don't trust it and I haven't seen Apple do anything with it to change my mind. But that's my opinion. ExFAT/MBR is a no-go because of read speeds on sample drives. Also, on my Mini rig I use an NAS for Time Machine and I make bootable clones with the latest CCC. I looked into the different Paragon solutions for NTFS when I was going to go all-Windows, but I decided to just keep it simple and sturdy.

Yeah, it was wierd because once you install, it would seem that you're already inside the "MacOS infrastructure..."
IIRC, I was getting prohib symbols after Clover went through it's thing and going into Preboot or whatever, so I gave it up for a working system. Maybe I "did it wrong" –although my genuine Macs have HFS+ Encrypted-format SSDs + FileVault with no problems at all. Even the media volumes are HFS+ encrypted with no speed penalty, of course.

But I can encrypt media drives and mount them with no problems on the hack, just not the boot volume.

My decision to stay all HFS+ was because I had a little (but enough) data loss on some media SSDs, so that was a no-go.
I love Mojave, but I'm wary of APFS. I just don't trust it and I haven't seen Apple do anything with it to change my mind. But that's my opinion. ExFAT/MBR is a no-go because of read speeds on sample drives. Also, on my Mini rig I use an NAS for Time Machine and I make bootable clones with the latest CCC. I looked into the different Paragon solutions for NTFS when I was going to go all-Windows, but I decided to just keep it simple and sturdy.

Hi jiffyslot. I feel that you might have done something wrong, as I had it working straight away, but only with the correct patches to enable the FileVault 2 on this AMI BIOS board. Not having ever run FileVault on a real Mac, I'm not sure what the boot graphics are normally shown, but from memory of my test yesterday, you select FileVault Preboot, it comes up with a Login screen, you then enter password, then you see a terminal screen briefly show up at the top left where some scripts are run, then the 'normal' boot stuff happens.

ATM, I don't have any spare SSD's to create an HFS+ test Mojave disk, but I might CC the APFS formatted test build to my NAS, and then back to HFS+ to test to see if HFS+ is the issue, but I'm pretty certain that's not the issue.

I will test, this in the next day or so, as I'm sure others would like to use FileVault 2 and it will be good to have another piece of the puzzle of Hacking sorted for this build.

Jim:ugeek:

All of the USB ports on this Mobo are USB 3.1 Gen 1 (5Mbit/sec) which are backwards compatible to USB 2. The exception to this is the USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports (see below) which are 10Mbit/sec and controlled by the two ASMedia Technology controller chipsets.

Your USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports work because they are not being controlled by the Intel USB controllers, but by the 2 x ASMedia controllers. The second USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Mbit/sec) controller needs a extra cable that is not included with the Mobo, to bring this port out to the back of the case... I have purchased this cable, so I have two of these ports.
How do you know this and is there a workaround to use the 3.1 Gen 2 port type A (The Red one in the rear) with regular 3.0 or 2.0 devices? Based on my testing during port discovery, it seems that port will only work with 3.1 Gen2 devices. However, the Gigabyte Motherboard manual says it's backwards compatible. Thanks.

I got everything up and running under Mojave. Pretty happy so far. My only issue is I cannot figure out how to enable the iGPU. I would love to have it run in tandem with the Vega 56. Any thoughts?

All the answers are here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-lilu-and-its-plug-ins.260063/
When using an iMac system definition, it is best practice to configure your iGPU in headless mode. The system will use it for Quick Sync etc., but not for video output.

Everything ok with the Supplemental Update of 10.4.3.

Good evening everyone!
After a few months of light use, I began to notice some problems. First problem: I used Premiere for the first time. I tried to export the video but the Hackintosh crashes. Second problem: every time I have to extract a "rar" archive for files of about 20 GB, regardless of the disk where I unzip the file, the average extraction time is about 30 minutes !!! I'm stuck in High Sierra 10.13.5. Any advice?

Back