Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

Hey @jb007 -does this config contain your FB patches, or do they land elsewhere?
Hi @jiffyslot, if you mean do the config.plist contain my USB patches, NO. Any USB patches to increase to the 26 Port limit do not work ATM with Mojave 10.14.1 (unless the developers have created another patch since I last looked).

The FB Patcher app produces a USBPorts.kext that patches the USB ports. It has to be put into your /EFI/kexts/Other directory. It does not need Lilu.kext to operate. You also have to remove any USB patch in your config.plist and also remove USBInjectall.kext as well.

I will attach my USBPorts.kext with my 4 internal USB2 ports marked as internal. This should enable you to have fully working USB2&3 ports. I haven't tried this on anyone else's mac, and really you should use the FB Patcher app to do it for your self. If you do use mine test that it recognizes all your USB devices. You can use the System Information tool's USB section to see the details of what the system is recognizing USB wise. If you press the CMD & R keys it will refresh the info displayed, which is useful once you have removed or reinserted another USB device when checking.

NOTE: Always run the following commands after removing or adding any kexts to your /Library/Extensions directory.
Code:
sudo touch /Library/Extensions
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -i /

Edit: 18th Dec 2018
I have removed the USBPorts.kext file as it has errors in it, and I have a Mini Guide here.

Last edited:
@HackaShaq, Amazing build!!
I have a question for you regarding your old mac pro 5,1. Was 2 processors or just 1?
Thanks!

The RX 580 works out of the box like a champ. One thing though, if you are setting up MJ, and you are getting the black screen problem, make sure you are on the hdmi port during setup. If you use the displayport (like I originally did), you may find an urge to check yourself in after becoming crazy over the issue.

Use the hdmi port in this case, and you'll get through. Once set up, you can go back to the displayport without doing anything extra. I'm also running the MSI RX580.

Hope this helps.
One RX580 work out of the box, but when I add an other one, Mac OS load and freeze just before the system starts...

One RX580 work out of the box, but when I add an other one, Mac OS load and freeze just before the system starts...
@Thirrouard, have you booted using 'verbose mode' and also 'don't reboot on kernel panic' on in the Clover boot menu. Press space bar and you will see these options, enable them and then select the boot with these options (I'm doing this from memories my main Mac is down ATM as I'm de-lidding it, so descriptions might be a little off). try and take picture or what ever.

Other things you can do are:
1. At clover menu clear your NVRAM by hitting F11, this will cause a reboot;
2. In the BIOS there is an option for 'enable above 4G decoding, turn it on if all above don't work.

It's hard to debug without information. So try and get some info by using the verbose mode above.

Jim:geek:

That's odd. How beefy is you PSU? You're setting the two cards up to run in Crossfire Mode? And you're placing them in the top two slots so that they'll both run at PCIeX8? Do you have to run a bridge cable between the two cards inside?

That's odd. How beefy is you PSU? You're setting the two cards up to run in Crossfire Mode? And you're placing them in the top two slots so that they'll both run at PCIeX8? Do you have to run a bridge cable between the two cards inside?
AMD rx580’s don’t use a bridge cable. They use the PCIe bus. Macis doesn’t support the cards in crossfire mode also, but where two cards are good is for things like blender where it does support multiple GPUs irrespective of model as long as it has OpenCL support.
This is what I used to use my two RX580’s for!

AMD rx580’s don’t use a bridge cable. They use the PCIe bus. Macis doesn’t support the cards in crossfire mode also, but where two cards are good is for things like blender where it does support multiple GPUs irrespective of model as long as it has OpenCL support.
This is what I used to use my two RX580’s for!

Good to know. So one for displays, but do they both work in tandem as compute cards? I've wondered if I'd get better render results by using the iGPU for display and leaving the RX580 strictly as a compute card. -The poor man's Quadro, etc.

Yes they do work in tandem as compute cards. Blender will even use NVIDIA cards along with AMD cards (even if they are not the same GPU model) in the same system. Blender will even do the rendering on cards on other systems. They have rendering farms on the internet.

You have to realize that using OpenCL for modeling is completely different to using OpenGL gaming etc. So having the PCIe bus going at x8 instead of x16 is not such a big deal as it's using the GPU's very large number of compute units and memory to 'Ray trace' the modeling scene. Blender rendered my scenes nearly twice as fast when I used two cards. Unfortunately Blender with AMD cards at least render around 1/2 the speed under macOS compared to the same hardware under Windows. But this will hopefully change soon. It will be interesting if Blender re-engineer their software to use the RX 2080TI cards Ray Tracing hardware... but that's crystal ball gazing ATM.

Test's I did a couple of days ago, showed that my i7-8700K CPU was faster than my RX 580 in rendering the same scene.

Blender has been used in creation of a few commercial films, and this process is very similar to how large film studios do animated films and special effects, but they use very expensive commercial software. IMHO this is going to change a lot when version 2.8 of Blender is released, in fact it will be used for a animated film as soon as it's released.

For your use-case I'm not sure, maybe others can chip in here.

Jim:geek:

@EdwardVH I originally had two RX 580’s working with High Sierra. Since sold one but had no issues whatsoever with the two.
Very late last night I ran Geekbench and it appears that both Opencl and Metal are running faster with 10.14.1. Would be interested to see if others get the same results.
I’ll post tomorrow my results.

Hey JB, how'd you go with the update? No issues for our board?

I'll also be interested to know if the update forces AFS on me (I converted to Mac OS Extended) . I'll post that outcome when I do the upgrade.

Hey JB, how'd you go with the update? No issues for our board?

I'll also be interested to know if the update forces AFS on me (I converted to Mac OS Extended) . I'll post that outcome when I do the upgrade.
Yes it forces APFS. See my post a few back. Sorry at work atm.

Back