Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

Hi there, thanks for your post, so interesting that I am inspired to start anew with an hackintosh. If I would like a cheaper but similar motherboard, which one would you suggest? Thank you

Anybody upgrade to 10.14.1? Issues? Did you do via App Store?
Yep, did it by uploading from the link on this post.
  1. Make sure you have your USB ports set up correctly because, at the time of writing this, the USB 26 port patch won't work so they tell me in the above thread. If you have done an SSDT or use FB Patcher (my preferred method) then you should be good to go.
  2. The install will only install on to an APFS partition, so since mine was HPFS+ I had to do the 'two disk shuffle', so I formatted a spare M.2 disk as APFS then Carbon Copied my existing 10.14.0 install over, reset my 'Mac' to boot from this and then installed 10.14.1.
Had no issues. Audio works, USB3 works. I will most probably stay on APFS for the moment and keep my 10.14.0 install 'hanging'around for a while, just to be sure.

Edit: Sleep, powernap AirDrop, Siri & iMessage all working fine as before. Interestingly, my Corsair USB mouse wakes the Mac up now, whereas before, only my Apple BT mouse would... might be that Apple has done some 'fixes' to the USB side of things. As per above, it appears that they have at least changed some things to do with USB as the Clover Kext 26 port patch doesn't work ATM, but it's being worked on.

Best of luck.

Jim:geek:
Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 11.55.26 pm.png

Last edited:
Would you mine sharing your config.plist ? I have the same setup and have issues with mine...
Did anyone manage getting two RX 580 working?

Would you mine sharing your config.plist ? I have the same setup and have issues with mine...
Did anyone manage getting two RX 580 working?

The RX 580 works out of the box like a champ. One thing though, if you are setting up MJ, and you are getting the black screen problem, make sure you are on the hdmi port during setup. If you use the displayport (like I originally did), you may find an urge to check yourself in after becoming crazy over the issue.

Use the hdmi port in this case, and you'll get through. Once set up, you can go back to the displayport without doing anything extra. I'm also running the MSI RX580.

Hope this helps.

The RX 580 works out of the box like a champ. One thing though, if you are setting up MJ, and you are getting the black screen problem, make sure you are on the hdmi port during setup. If you use the displayport (like I originally did), you may find an urge to check yourself in after becoming crazy over the issue.

Use the hdmi port in this case, and you'll get through. Once set up, you can go back to the displayport without doing anything extra. I'm also running the MSI RX580.

Hope this helps.
@EdwardVH I originally had two RX 580’s working with High Sierra. Since sold one but had no issues whatsoever with the two.
Very late last night I ran Geekbench and it appears that both Opencl and Metal are running faster with 10.14.1. Would be interested to see if others get the same results.
I’ll post tomorrow my results.

@jb007 re: Would your SSDT USB patch be different from mine because of us having different cases that may take USB ports for the front from a different USB header on the mobo?

@jiffyslot, possibly yes. Putting the front issues aside for the moment, I am using all of the USB2 internal headers for 4 USB devices:
  1. My Bluetooth USB cable that comes from my combined WiFi/BT card;
  2. My Corsair Lighting Node Pro controller that controls my 3 Corsair ML RGB fans (2 x 140mm on radiator, 1 x 120mm rear case fan). Possibly later today I will be adding another 2 x 140mm fans on the intake vent at the top of my case as it is getting warmer here in Oz);
  3. Corsair H110i AIO pump;
  4. I can't remember what's connected to this, but I know it's a Corsair product... I'll report back later on this one!
    Edit: It is for my Corsair RM850i power supply. :cool:
Because of these 4 items are classed as internal, i.e. they are not usually connected and disconnected by the end user, they have been marked as internal. This will allow sleep to work properly. My use case would be different from yours, but my USBPorts.kext would work for everyone with this exact mobo, but it would always be best if you created your own to suit your usage. A lot of people wouldn't have all the USB2 ports in use.

I've gone away from the SSDT patch method and are using the USBPorts.kext that is produced from the FB Patcher app that I have previously linked to. This is easier to produce a working patch than going the SSDT route for most people, especially if you are non-technical.

Also, only the ports being controlled by the Intel Z370 and Realtek chip are patched, the USB ports controlled by the two ASMedia USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports are not counted in the 26 port limit patch of macOS. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Last edited:
Back