Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7
CPU
i7 8700k @4.9GHz
Graphics
GTX 1080
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
hey guys,
still running this machine with macOS 10.13.6 and Clover on a GTX 1080 since like 4 years with 0 issues since I installed it!!!.

I might consider upgrading it soon and wanted to get some feedback.
Looking to keep the Gaming 7 and the 8700k but might want to switch to a Radeon GPU so I can get support for the newer macOS versions.
I saw that most people use OpenCore now.
Any experience with the switch and recommendations for a 6700XT (are all supported?)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z690 Aero G
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
hey guys,
still running this machine with macOS 10.13.6 and Clover on a GTX 1080 since like 4 years with 0 issues since I installed it!!!.

I might consider upgrading it soon and wanted to get some feedback.
Looking to keep the Gaming 7 and the 8700k but might want to switch to a Radeon GPU so I can get support for the newer macOS versions.
I saw that most people use OpenCore now.
Any experience with the switch and recommendations for a 6700XT (are all supported?)
@SebErr

I've upgraded my CPU to an i9-9900K, keeping the RX 580. I use OpenCore 0.8.4. I'm running the current version of Monterey as well as the latest public beta of Ventura. Everything seems to be running fine, but this hack is not used on a daily basis.

I use a Radeon 6800 XT on another hack running the latest version of Monterey. I'll let others confirm, but the 6700 and 6800 GPUs are fully supported by current versions of Monterey and should run fine on this board. Make sure your case can support the size.

As long as all your apps run on Monterey/Ventura, this should be a good way to extend the life of this hack for another few years.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
iGPU
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. LC
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello, I would like to upgrade my build with a dedicated graphics card. (I have always used integrated graphics so far.) I’m sorry I already posted a question about this recently. I know Radeons are the best choice for a natively recognized card in Monterey, and the 6600XT in particular would a good choice as its performance is quite interesting. But still, I’m also considering buying a recent Nvidia card, that would only work in Windows but would have better performance and be more useful for some specific needs.

For context: I mostly use Mac OS for applications that don't require a GPU. (Mostly Logic Pro and the like.) I would like to get a graphic card for light video editing, using Stable Diffusion AI and other stuff that works best with Nvidia cards (PyTorch among other things that use the CUDA API). So it doesn't bother me to switch to Windows since I have no habit of using macOS for these things, as long as it doesn’t crash my macOS system.

So, I want to be able to keep on using my macOS system with Intel-integrated graphics only while having an Nvidia card populating my motherboard in this weird scenario. I’m considering several choices, the most evident being an RTX 2060 with 12GB. I suppose it would be useless in any version of macOS, but would it make it unstable?

Another thing that worries me a little bit with this option is that I’d like to use a 4K monitor in the future, along with the 1080p monitor that I already own. I’m not sure I can do this with the 2 ports of the Gaming 7 Mobo (DP and HDMI), with only integrated graphics. The mobo manual says on page 10 : “Integrated Graphics Processor-Intel HD Graphics support : 1x Display port … up to 4096x2304@60hz 1x HDMI … up to 4096x2304@30hz Maximum shared memory of 1GB”

So my second question is: is it possible to use both a 4K monitor on the DisplayPort and a full HD monitor with the HDMI, again relying only on integrated graphics? The motherboard manual says each port can handle a 4K resolution with an advantage to the DisplayPort regarding refresh rate, but it doesn’t clearly say if the port can be used simultaneously. Of course, I’d need to switch ports when using the Nvidia card with the same 4K monitor in Windows, which is not optimal, but I think I can live with that too because I switch OS for sessions long enough for me not to have to switch ports too often.

I know it really doesn’t seem optimal, but I also want to future proof my build. I think the fact that Apple chose to abandon Intel CPUs will force me to get back to Windows anyway someday in the future, as Apple ARM processors will never be available to buy separately. So I’m quite tolerant of the idea of having to use two OS.