Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

hey guys,
still running this machine with macOS 10.13.6 and Clover on a GTX 1080 since like 4 years with 0 issues since I installed it!!!.

I might consider upgrading it soon and wanted to get some feedback.
Looking to keep the Gaming 7 and the 8700k but might want to switch to a Radeon GPU so I can get support for the newer macOS versions.
I saw that most people use OpenCore now.
Any experience with the switch and recommendations for a 6700XT (are all supported?)
@SebErr

I've upgraded my CPU to an i9-9900K, keeping the RX 580. I use OpenCore 0.8.4. I'm running the current version of Monterey as well as the latest public beta of Ventura. Everything seems to be running fine, but this hack is not used on a daily basis.

I use a Radeon 6800 XT on another hack running the latest version of Monterey. I'll let others confirm, but the 6700 and 6800 GPUs are fully supported by current versions of Monterey and should run fine on this board. Make sure your case can support the size.

As long as all your apps run on Monterey/Ventura, this should be a good way to extend the life of this hack for another few years.

Last edited:
Hello, I would like to upgrade my build with a dedicated graphics card. (I have always used integrated graphics so far.) I’m sorry I already posted a question about this recently. I know Radeons are the best choice for a natively recognized card in Monterey, and the 6600XT in particular would a good choice as its performance is quite interesting. But still, I’m also considering buying a recent Nvidia card, that would only work in Windows but would have better performance and be more useful for some specific needs.

For context: I mostly use Mac OS for applications that don't require a GPU. (Mostly Logic Pro and the like.) I would like to get a graphic card for light video editing, using Stable Diffusion AI and other stuff that works best with Nvidia cards (PyTorch among other things that use the CUDA API). So it doesn't bother me to switch to Windows since I have no habit of using macOS for these things, as long as it doesn’t crash my macOS system.

So, I want to be able to keep on using my macOS system with Intel-integrated graphics only while having an Nvidia card populating my motherboard in this weird scenario. I’m considering several choices, the most evident being an RTX 2060 with 12GB. I suppose it would be useless in any version of macOS, but would it make it unstable?

Another thing that worries me a little bit with this option is that I’d like to use a 4K monitor in the future, along with the 1080p monitor that I already own. I’m not sure I can do this with the 2 ports of the Gaming 7 Mobo (DP and HDMI), with only integrated graphics. The mobo manual says on page 10 : “Integrated Graphics Processor-Intel HD Graphics support : 1x Display port … up to 4096x2304@60hz 1x HDMI … up to 4096x2304@30hz Maximum shared memory of 1GB”

So my second question is: is it possible to use both a 4K monitor on the DisplayPort and a full HD monitor with the HDMI, again relying only on integrated graphics? The motherboard manual says each port can handle a 4K resolution with an advantage to the DisplayPort regarding refresh rate, but it doesn’t clearly say if the port can be used simultaneously. Of course, I’d need to switch ports when using the Nvidia card with the same 4K monitor in Windows, which is not optimal, but I think I can live with that too because I switch OS for sessions long enough for me not to have to switch ports too often.

I know it really doesn’t seem optimal, but I also want to future proof my build. I think the fact that Apple chose to abandon Intel CPUs will force me to get back to Windows anyway someday in the future, as Apple ARM processors will never be available to buy separately. So I’m quite tolerant of the idea of having to use two OS.

Replace that Sammy drive with a WD SN770 prices have come down a lot. Get a 1TB at Amazon.
You'll get much better read/write speeds and faster boot ups. Use the Sammy as a scratch drive.

It's been a while since I chimed in, but I just wanted to thank you again @trs96 for the link above about the drive to get.

I normally don't even want to fiddle with my working machine, but I had to crack it open anyway to swap out a hard drive, so I thought, might as well give this 1TB WD SN770 a go, and wow. It was only $60! It doubled my previous startup volume storage, and now that 5 min boot up delay is completely gone, and performance is increased.

Feels like a new machine (again) to me, and this mackintosh build just keeps chugging along like a champ.
This build is still my daily driver, and honestly, it meets my needs perfectly still. Love it! :)

It's been a while since I chimed in, but I just wanted to thank you again @trs96 for the link above about the drive to get.

I normally don't even want to fiddle with my working machine, but I had to crack it open anyway to swap out a hard drive, so I thought, might as well give this 1TB WD SN770 a go, and wow. It was only $60! It doubled my previous startup volume storage, and now that 5 min boot up delay is completely gone, and performance is increased.

Feels like a new machine (again) to me, and this mackintosh build just keeps chugging along like a champ.
This build is still my daily driver, and honestly, it meets my needs perfectly still. Love it! :)
I'm still using this build as my daily driver as well running High Sierra and it's done a lot of heavy lifting including editing a feature film in 4k in Resolve. It's been as stable as anyone could ask. Unfortunately, I haven't had much luck in upgrading the OS beyond High Sierra. What OS are you running now?

I tried getting a cloned drive updated to Mojave but could never get the USB 3 ports working so have just stayed with HS. Unfortunately, I'm at a point where most of the software I use regularly won't update anymore on HS so I need to figure out the most recent MacOS that can run on this build. If you are running newer OS's, how have you gone about it?
Thanks for any thoughts/advice you may have and HUGE thanks for sharing this build in the first place!!:clap::)

I need to figure out the most recent MacOS that can run on this build.
You can run anything newer than High Sierra, even the latest Ventura. It would probably be best to use OpenCore bootloader and perform a clean install on a new NVMe SSD. Keep the old drive uninstalled as a backup. You can then always revert to HS if you need to. Just swap drives and boot it up, after clearing NVRAM of course.

You can run anything newer than High Sierra, even the latest Ventura. It would probably be best to use OpenCore bootloader and perform a clean install on a new NVMe SSD. Keep the old drive uninstalled as a backup. You can then always revert to HS if you need to. Just swap drives and boot it up, after clearing NVRAM of course.
Thanks! Going to get the clean install of Ventura with with OpenCore started tonight.

Hi, everyone! I have been running the same setup with OC for a while. I also used the HDMI output of the Sapphire RX 580 card without problems. I sadly don't remember if that worked out of the box.

Now I am on the latest Ventura version, OC 0.9.2, latest WhatEverGreen, and, when I connect the TV although the hackintosh shows the extra display, all I get is a black screen...

Can anyone tell me how to check what is the problem? framebuffer? I am lost.

Thanks for your help!

Hi, everyone! I have been running the same setup with OC for a while. I also used the HDMI output of the Sapphire RX 580 card without problems. I sadly don't remember if that worked out of the box.

Now I am on the latest Ventura version, OC 0.9.2, latest WhatEverGreen, and, when I connect the TV although the hackintosh shows the extra display, all I get is a black screen...

Can anyone tell me how to check what is the problem? framebuffer? I am lost.

Thanks for your help!
Sorry… faulty hdmi cable. New cable
Works without a hitch

I am looking to add Windows 10/11 to my current Mackintosh system running on High Sierra with Clover (4722).

I haven't updated my system since I configured it. Runs super smooth. Only want to add Win so I can game.

What's the best/easiest way of doing this? Can easily add Win a different drive.
Do I need to change some settings in Clover? Should I upgrade to OC?

Any help is appreciated?

System: 8700k - Z370 Gaming 7 - 32GB Ram - GTX1080 - High Sierra - Clover

Back