Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

FWIW, I have many moments like this that make me go off on tangents etc. Only problem is that now I'm older is I forget what I was trying to achieve in the first place. ADHD in my 60's! :lol:

So don't feel bad about it, it's quite normal in the software development world to make false assumptions etc. Without trying to be patronising, I'll give you 10/10 for your trying and feedback on this forum, after all that's what a forum is a sharing of ideas and helping others.:clap:

Most of yesterday I investigated and tried to increase my knowledge of the ACPI and more so on the Thunderbolt side of things. ACPI is a massive subject by itself. One finding I found, is Apple uses a different method of announcing a Hotplug device to their OS compared to Linux and Windows. This doesn't surprise me at all! One thing is I now understanding a bit more of what goes on at the Systems level of the PC e.g ACPI, SMC etc. This helps me (understatement) to understand what is going on in KGP's and others SSDT for thunderbolt etc.

I starting to form the opinion that the BIOS on this mother board is not quite right in regards to the ACPI side of things, as I see Linux reporting in the system logs ACPI errors and "ACPI BUG"... I wonder if this is causing the Hotplug not to function on the Titan Ridge as it needs BIOS F11 or later (F12c is totally 'Fudged'). I might collate the errors under Linux for the various BIOS versions and see if I can find a difference between say F7 (works with Alpine Ridge), F11 & F12c.

Jim

I love it :ugeek:

Update:
@jb007 I went back to the a0b5b7c6-1318-441c-b0c9-fe695eaf949b UUID and hotplug/On/Off/On still works. Sleep/Wake works too. I can repower my Apollo and it reconnects. Thanks. So I figure I have to stay with F7 until further notice? I can't believe (wait, I can...) that I wasted a day on this Furthy. Thanks for pulling me out yet again.

Last edited:
See in the screen shot that both thunderbolt ports are fully working. One is my audio interface the other 2 devices showing are my Sonnet Breakaway eGPU box with GTX 1080ti for video and the audio from the 1080ti. I can unplug and they go away... plug in again and they pop right back up! :D

Just add theses from the "Patched" zip to your ACPI/Patched folder and add your model of Radeon card (from the Radeon SSDT folder) to that same ACPI/Patched folder. Reboot and hit F11 to clear NVRAM and you are golden!

Set Thunderbolt setting in BIOS to the picture provided. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING OUTLINED IN THE RED BOX AS IT COULD DAMAGE YOUR T/B CARD!!!!! That is why Gigabyte has removed those settings in all newer updates.

Hi @Gothic4684. There is a mistake in your config.plist as posted. your _DSM -> XDSM should have the following values,
5f44534d and 5844534d. Also can I ask why you are using _DSM -> XDSM??

Jim:geek:

...starting to form the opinion that the BIOS on this mother board is not quite right in regards to the ACPI side of things, as I see Linux reporting in the system logs ACPI errors and "ACPI BUG"... I wonder if this is causing the Hotplug not to function on the Titan Ridge as it needs BIOS F11 or later (F12c is totally 'Fudged'). I might collate the errors under Linux for the various BIOS versions and see if I can find a difference between say F7 (works with Alpine Ridge), F11 & F12c.

Jim

Can you spoof Titan Ridge to Alpine Ridge? I'm not seeing mindblowing speed improvements with Titan Ridge vs Alpine Ridge, and I don't have anything that will saturate the bus, so I'm on the fence. The Apollo has a TB2 connection. If I swapped the card in the Apollo for the TB3 version ($500 USD) I'm not convinced that latency in Pro Tools would be lower.

I wonder about this board and its PCI lane limitations it imposes on itself. A full ATX Z370 and an i8700K? Who would have thought there were so many limitations lane-wise? Anyway, the only reason I can't make this machine my daily driver is the SIP issue and Filevault. Wish I could solve that, but for everybody's sake, I won't try. :lol:

I participate in these forums through the 2012 Mac Mini.

And so I now wonder if I should go back to the 2012 Mini for everything except FCPX and Vienna Symphonic Library instruments and just run it headless. I found out the reason Pro Tools encourages a dedicated GPU: Because drawing plugin graphics (like meters for compressors, etc.) totally slam even the RX580. Anyway, that's a little OT.

Hi @Gothic4684. There is a mistake in your config.plist as posted. your _DSM -> XDSM should have the following values,
5f44534d and 5844534d. Also can I ask why you are using _DSM -> XDSM??

It was a suggestion from another user trying to help. Do I even need it?

Can you spoof Titan Ridge to Alpine Ridge? I'm not seeing mindblowing speed improvements with Titan Ridge vs Alpine Ridge, and I don't have anything that will saturate the bus, so I'm on the fence. The Apollo has a TB2 connection. If I swapped the card in the Apollo for the TB3 version ($500 USD) I'm not convinced that latency in Pro Tools would be lower.

I wonder about this board and its PCI lane limitations it imposes on itself. A full ATX Z370 and an i8700K? Who would have thought there were so many limitations lane-wise? Anyway, the only reason I can't make this machine my daily driver is the SIP issue and Filevault. Wish I could solve that, but for everybody's sake, I won't try. :lol:

I participate in these forums through the 2012 Mac Mini.

And so I now wonder if I should go back to the 2012 Mini for everything except FCPX and Vienna Symphonic Library instruments and just run it headless. I found out the reason Pro Tools encourages a dedicated GPU: Because drawing plugin graphics (like meters for compressors, etc.) totally slam even the RX580. Anyway, that's a little OT.

No AFAIK you can't spoof Titan to Alpine Ridge.
The reason a lot of users are wanting the Titan Ridge to work for them is that it supports DP 1.4 and therefore can drive multiple 4K Monitors @ 60Hz from the DP out on the card. AR only has HDMI out.

And, yes, I agree with you. Intel i7-8700K has a max of 16 PCI Express lanes, which really hampers things for some users, myself included. AMD Threadripper has 64 PCIe lanes. Would be nice to see if Apple goes the ARM route as rumors suggest, and see if they have more PCIe lanes.

Rumor has it that Intel are going to incorporate TB3 into the next generation of Intel CPU's cores, which IMHO will be fantastic, if they don't take away from the existing limited 16 lanes. Also as TB3 is now royalty free, I feel we will start seeing a lot more TB3 devices at cheaper price points... time will tell!

It was a suggestion from another user trying to help. Do I even need it?

From my limited testing just then on our motherboard and ACPI, NO.

I was using all of your values and at some point it was suggested that I just take EVERYTHING out and try that and the one for iGPU headless

You can take out both of those lines in your ACPI section. the first because of the mistake is really doing the same as the second line as it is using the same find and replace values, and if you are using the WhatEvergreen.kext & Lilu.kext, which I'm sure you are, then it is also redundant. So no ACPI values are needed in this section.

As a side note, I made my very white hair go even whiter as I had forgot I setup Clover to play the macOS boot sound earlier this morning, and it played, very loudly as I had to reboot to test your XDSM issue. Scared the bejesus out of me! :eek::lol:

From my limited testing just then on our motherboard and ACPI, NO.

You can take out both of those lines in your ACPI section. the first because of the mistake is really doing the same as the second line as it is using the same find and replace values, and if you are using the WhatEvergreen.kext & Lilu.kext, which I'm sure you are, then it is also redundant. So no ACPI values are needed in this section.

As a side note, I made my very white hair go even whiter as I had forgot I setup Clover to play the macOS boot sound earlier this morning, and it played, very loudly as I had to reboot to test your XDSM issue. Scared the bejesus out of me! :eek::lol:

I just realized that the numbers were the same for both lines! :eek:

In all my haste of removing and adding things it got copied to the wrong place. :crazy:

(Completely removed :thumbup:)

I forgot the new clover has a startup sound!

Anyway, the only reason I can't make this machine my daily driver is the SIP issue and Filevault. Wish I could solve that, but for everybody's sake, I won't try. :lol:

Hi @jiffyslot, I re-read this post and it had me wondering about Filevault, which I have never used before. Well I have it working on my test SSD system with FileVault encryption etc. So, can I ask what caused you problems, was it the encryption of your SSD or not being able to boot it from Clover, or some other malady?

Seems a pity not to be able to use it for your main use-case.

All seems to be working fine here, but I don't have much data on my test system, and it's also formatted in APFS, which I now use instead of HPFS+. I have a Paragon utility that can read the APFS format, and write as long as it has no snapshots.

Back