Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Holy smokes - IT WORKS!

No, I mean it really works! I'm using it right now!

The build went pretty much as it should, with the following notes.

1. The R5 is a terrific case, I think. VERY quiet. I can't tell when the computer is on(!)
  2. Into the motherboard, I installed the Noctua before installing the RAM. Whoops. Couldn't slide the RAM underneath it so had to uninstall it, put the ram in, then reinstall. No harm done, but the first setback. Cost me a few minutes. Big deal.
  3. More on Noctua - it's soooo big... I wonder if perhaps it should be installed after installing the motherboard. Was hard to get to a number of screws, install GPU, etc. I don't know. I'll leave that question for the next intrepid soul.
  4. Figuring out where to put the first 2 SSDs was a little confusing, but in the end, well, duh. There's a special place on the backside of the R5 that holds 2 SSDs.
  5. Software was easy. At first. And then came the NVIDIA driver joy. From opening the first box, I had Mac OS up and running in less than 5 hours(!). I was surprised at how quickly I got there. Then I spent another 5-7 hours trying to get the GPU to work. Ultimately, after going back through Tony's Parlor of Prophecy, I found Clover Configurator and BOOM! Hello, colorful world!
  6. Audio works. LAN works.
  7. I have not yet installed a WIFI card, so I don't yet have that or bluetooth so I don't yet have those services running.
  8. I just successfully printed from my Canon Pro-100 printer. Just black and white label, but OS X had no trouble finding and installing the drivers.
I'll post more here if it occurs to me.

Love this community - if you have a similar build and have questions, I'm happy to help if I can.

Cheers!
IMG_3558.JPG

Last edited:
Wish I could help... I'm using the USB ports on my case (2x2.0 and 2x3.0) and they seem to work but I have no USB 3 devices so don't know if they're working at USB 3.0 speeds.

Hey! We have the same mobo and cpu - do you have any issues with instantly waking after going to sleep? It appears to be something to do with USB devices that require power that causes the issue.

My Wifi/BT combo card gets its power from a USB header on the motherboard, this is undoubtedly a cause for the instant wakes (it stops when unplugged). Also, unplugging or plugging in my iPhone causes a wake too.

I'd be interested to know if you have any of these problems!

I'm not seeing any wake issues, however, just today I had a strange incident where everything froze except the mouse cursor. Keyboard and click input was ignored. Had to restart via the Big Red Button. (Ok, it's black on my case, but you get the point.)

Other issue I'm seeing - audio input is sporadic. Siri seems to hear me fine when a microphone is plugged in, but audio apps like zoom video conferencing drop the connection after about 15 seconds. When I toggle the input it works again for another 15 seconds. Anyone got a tip here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back