Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5-TH, i7 3770K, 32GB, 480GB SSD, 2TB HDD, GTX 670

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't a clue what's causing the KP on restart.
What other peripherals do you have on your system?
Anything on the Thunderbolt connection with your monitor?
Have you updated to 10.8.3, yet?
Which Thunderbolt port are you using?​
Hang in there, we'll get there.

I have only a Sandisk SSD (and a Seagate Baracuda for testing purposes.
I did not install the Bluetooth/Wifi card that came with the MoBo.
I won't connect anything else until I have a working rigg.

There is nothing on the Thunderbolt connection to the Mac 27"Thunderbolt monitor.
I did not attach anything to the ports on the monitor.

I have not updated to 10.8.3 yet since I have seen comments from noxcovenant that he specifically used a 10.8.1 install.
I have tried it on earlier installs but upgrading did not seem to resolve anything...

The monitor is on Thunderbolt port MDP1

GBZ77, I'm also at a loss as to why you are experiencing KPs. I'm thinking it must be a hardware issue now. Do you have the option of installing Windows and testing your machine for a few days to see if it's stable and functioning correctly?

Before doing that, I'd try one more thing. These motherboards have a DualBIOS switch, labelled "SW4" from memory. Try switching to the backup BIOS (may be a different version), reload defaults then apply the necessary settings, then reboot.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas!

I have a dual boot install using chameleon.
Windows works fine including Facetime HD video.
Windows hasn't been running long yet, since I planned to move to OS X and occasionally run windows in a virtual box.
I will try the backup BIOS if nothing else will :cry:

I have not updated to 10.8.3 yet since I have seen comments from noxcovenant that he specifically used a 10.8.1 install.

Just to clarify, I used 10.8.0

However, I'm curious. Do you not own the 3770K (like OP)? Because the 3770 NON-K needs to have VT-d disabled in the bios. I would also disable Intel Virtualization Technology until you have a functioning system.

Edit - Nevermind, it says you own a 3770K in your profile. hmmmm

vtd.png

I need to state that I've had no problem using/upgrading/fresh installing (tested all) using my UP5 TH motherboard based system with Mountain Lion 10.8.3. Dunno what you guys are doing that causes your problem. The fall back is to install Mountain Lion with HD4000 using the DVI connection on the motherboard.

noxcovenant, good point about the non K processors and disabling VT-d. :thumbup:

Just to clarify, I used 10.8.0

However, I'm curious. Do you not own the 3770K (like OP)? Because the 3770 NON-K needs to have VT-d disabled in the bios. I would also disable Intel Virtualization Technology until you have a functioning system.

Edit - Nevermind, it says you own a 3770K in your profile. hmmmm

vtd.png

I have a Intel 3770K processor, so I don't have the VT-d Bios option.
I see however that you have the Intel Virtualisation Technology disabled, is that for a specific reason?

I need to state that I've had no problem using/upgrading/fresh installing (tested all) using my UP5 TH motherboard based system with Mountain Lion 10.8.3. Dunno what you guys are doing that causes your problem. The fall back is to install Mountain Lion with HD4000 using the DVI connection on the motherboard.

noxcovenant, good point about the non K processors and disabling VT-d. :thumbup:

I noticed that all succesfull builds have a graphic card installed, looks like this is somehow a prerequisite....
Have you tested a fresh install without a graphic card installed?

Since a fresh install works repeatable and the restart fails repeatable it looks like something happens during the boot immediately following the Multibeast install that makes it work. Restarting again that doesn't happen again causing the KP.
I'll ask MacMan if he has a clue...

GBZ77,
HD4000 works great using the UP5 TH motherboard and an appropriate Ivy Bridge processor. My Thunderball system ran for several months using the HD4000 before I put in the GTX 650 Ti graphics card. See my Thunderball build decription for how to set-up your system to run HD4000.

GBZ77,
HD4000 works great using the UP5 TH motherboard and an appropriate Ivy Bridge processor. My Thunderball system ran for several months using the HD4000 before I put in the GTX 650 Ti graphics card. See my Thunderball build decription for how to set-up your system to run HD4000.

I used your guide and as I explained I succeed only once with correct HD4000 recognition on MDP1 port after a fresh install.
Did you use a Thunderbolt monitor with your HD4000 Thunderball system?

I bought the Mac 27" Thunderbolt monitor and I cannot connect it via DVI: it only has a Thunderbolt connector.
Futhermore if I use another connection the monitor's Webcam and audio probably won't work:thumbdown:

I used your guide and as I explained I succeed only once with correct HD4000 recognition on MDP1 port after a fresh install.
Did you use a Thunderbolt monitor with your HD4000 Thunderball system?

I bought the Mac 27" Thunderbolt monitor and I cannot connect it via DVI: it only has a Thunderbolt connector.
Futhermore if I use another connection the monitor's Webcam and audio probably won't work:thumbdown:
No, I'm using a HP ZR24W IPS monitor with DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort connections. I used the motherboard DVI to monitor DVI and Thunderbolt to DVI adapter for my HD4000 tests.

Try using the MDP2 port. I can't remember which port or if I tried both Thunderbolt ports.

No, I'm using a HP ZR24W IPS monitor with DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort connections. I used the motherboard DVI to monitor DVI and Thunderbolt to DVI adapter for my HD4000 tests.

Try using the MDP2 port. I can't remember which port or if I tried both Thunderbolt ports.

Good suggestion Stork, I should have tried that myself, just tried with weird results:
I plugged the monitor in MDP2, started and the system boots OK correctly recognizing HD4000!!!
Restarting the system shows the Apple logo, but shortly after that the screen goes black and stays black.b
Bt as far as I can tell without visual I can login, at least if I type the password I see disk activity.....
Restarting lets the Bios "hang" in state "D3" : Some of the architectural protocols are not available?
Restarting again shows the logo and then a black screen.

Restarting Always shows this 2 step behaviour, the good news is no KP but the bad news no display and a strange Bios state.
At least the problem changed, maybe this can be solved somehow.

Replugging the monitor back into MDP1 still gives the KP.
Replugging into MDP2 again the 2 step behaviour.

Should I try the backup Bios?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back