Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 + 980Ti 6GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fans move during BIOS and initial clover screen. Once mac starts to load.... half way through... which i understand is when the nvidia web driver loads..... the fans just completely stop and the mac boots up. Everything is recognized by the comp but no working fans. I have done nothing graphic intensive. Just start ups and shut downs.
What I am getting at is I wonder if you did do something graphic intensive if the fans would kick on. Like the card is under high demand, so the Web Drivers kick on the fans.

Try downloading Cinebench and running the OpenGL test. If the Web Drivers truly are controlling the fans, that test would cause them to turn on.

What I am getting at is I wonder if you did do something graphic intensive if the fans would kick on. Like the card is under high demand, so the Web Drivers kick on the fans.

Try downloading Cinebench and running the OpenGL test. If the Web Drivers truly are controlling the fans, that test would cause them to turn on.
I do believe you are right, I was reading that my 980TI fans should not turn on until it hits 60C. During start up it is put into emergency mode and the fans continualy keep speed. I am on currently 10.12.1 Sierra with my Audio and Graphics working.

Ok I tried to install cinebench but it wont let me run it. Trying to find another GPU program.

I attached what the program says

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-14 at 2.46.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-14 at 2.46.01 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 206
Last edited:
I do believe you are right, I was reading that my 980TI fans should not turn on until it hits 60C. During start up it is put into emergency mode and the fans continualy keep speed. I am on currently 10.12.1 Sierra with my Audio and Graphics working.

Ok I tried to install cinebench but it wont let me run it. Trying to find another GPU program.

I attached what the program says
Hey Kyle,

Were you able to get it working? If not, try this link. I had the same issue with Cinebench till I tried this. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/cinebench-string-resource-not-found.206667/

That makes perfect sense about your fans. Any kind of 3D GPU test should do that. Like Cinebench. Or Unigine Heaven.

I haven't tried to run Unigine Heaven before but on high settings, it is supposed to be THE test. https://unigine.com/products/benchmarks/heaven/

I just have always used Cinebench since I can test CPU and GPU in one program.

JMac

Hey Kyle,

Were you able to get it working? If not, try this link. I had the same issue with Cinebench till I tried this. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/cinebench-string-resource-not-found.206667/

That makes perfect sense about your fans. Any kind of 3D GPU test should do that. Like Cinebench. Or Unigine Heaven.

I haven't tried to run Unigine Heaven before but on high settings, it is supposed to be THE test. https://unigine.com/products/benchmarks/heaven/

I just have always used Cinebench since I can test CPU and GPU in one program.

JMac
Thank you for that fix. I ran both tests and this is what I got. Not very happy with the CPU test. Maybe I need to change something. I haven't even got into dsdt and such.

Attached are all of my tests. I have went through your guide and don't understand to much of the dsdt and SSDT patches. Will have to do more research on how to perfect my build.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-14 at 9.21.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-14 at 9.21.13 PM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 249
  • Screen Shot 2016-11-14 at 9.21.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-14 at 9.21.17 PM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 255
  • Screen Shot 2016-11-14 at 9.35.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-14 at 9.35.59 PM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 215
Thank you for that fix. I ran both tests and this is what I got. Not very happy with the CPU test. Maybe I need to change something. I haven't even got into dsdt and such.

Attached are all of my tests. I have went through your guide and don't understand to much of the dsdt and SSDT patches. Will have to do more research on how to perfect my build.
I would do a LOT of reading before diving into DSDT and SSDT.

I will be more than happy to help you out with that once I know more myself. As far as my thread goes, the first post is not updated in any way. That is not meant to be a guide, but explaining how I had gotten there. Each successive post is an update to my config.

I would be very careful with my thread since my system is not working like I would like it too.

As far as your CineBench scores, plain and simple, they are not good. I cannot compare Unigine since I have not ran it yet.

I am attaching my CineBench scores from tonight. Your FPS should be way higher with that graphics card. My 2012 card smoked it, something is not right there.

As far as your CPU scores, mine is done in "cb", not in "pts", but those are old CPUs it is comparing it too (2009). So that cannot be good. I think you are using an older version of CineBench. Looks like v11. Mine is v15.

Your system is not properly managing your CPU. For that, I would start here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/quick-guide-to-generate-a-ssdt-for-cpu-power-management.177456/ EDIT: This may not be necessary for our Skylake processors. There are some other methods, but this one is pretty tried and true. This is what I am currently using.

Also - when you were running the OpenGL test, did your CPU fans kick on? Just curious to see if our theory about the fans were correct.

Attachments

• cinebench.jpg
    cinebench.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
I would do a LOT of reading before diving into DSDT and SSDT.

I will be more than happy to help you out with that once I know more myself. As far as my thread goes, the first post is not updated in any way. That is not meant to be a guide, but explaining how I had gotten there. Each successive post is an update to my config.

I would be very careful with my thread since my system is not working like I would like it too.

As far as your CineBench scores, plain and simple, they are not good. I cannot compare Unigine since I have not ran it yet.

I am attaching my CineBench scores from tonight. Your FPS should be way higher with that graphics card. My 2012 card smoked it, something is not right there.

As far as your CPU scores, mine is done in "cb", not in "pts", but those are old CPUs it is comparing it too (2009). So that cannot be good. I think you are using an older version of CineBench. Looks like v11. Mine is v15.

Your system is not properly managing your CPU. For that, I would start here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/quick-guide-to-generate-a-ssdt-for-cpu-power-management.177456/ EDIT: This may not be necessary for our Skylake processors. There are some other methods, but this one is pretty tried and true. This is what I am currently using.

Also - when you were running the OpenGL test, did your CPU fans kick on? Just curious to see if our theory about the fans were correct.
Yes the Unigine kicked my fans on and once the test was done they turned back off once it cooled down.

I followed the guide and got these findings. I attached it via my Files. Let me know what you think

I also redid the stress test. Went better. For some reason the OpenGL wasn't to intensive so my fans didn't kick on. Unigine was way more intensive.

And I appreciate all the help. I will keep going through your guide.

Attachments

• ssdtPRGensh.pdf
    30.1 KB · Views: 267
  • AppleIntelInfo.dat.pdf
    25.9 KB · Views: 213
  • Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 12.04.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 12.04.15 AM.png
    55.6 KB · Views: 163
  • Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 12.03.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 12.03.14 AM.png
    53.1 KB · Views: 186
  • Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 12.03.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 12.03.27 AM.png
    51.5 KB · Views: 178
  • Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 12.05.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 12.05.14 AM.png
    48.6 KB · Views: 166
  • Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 12.03.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 12.03.40 AM.png
    43.9 KB · Views: 162
  • Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 12.05.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 12.05.41 AM.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Yes the Unigine kicked my fans on and once the test was done they turned back off once it cooled down.

I followed the guide and got these findings. I attached it via my Files. Let me know what you think

I also redid the stress test. Went better. For some reason the OpenGL wasn't to intensive so my fans didn't kick on. Unigine was way more intensive.

And I appreciate all the help. I will keep going through your guide.
Man, those are much better results! It's amazing what proper utilization of your processor can do! Glad to hear it is coming along!

That makes perfect sense about the fans now. The Unigine is a much more intense test than CineBench, so makes sense that it kicked them on. Glad to hear that part is resolved.

Man, those are much better results! It's amazing what proper utilization of your processor can do! Glad to hear it is coming along!

That makes perfect sense about the fans now. The Unigine is a much more intense test than CineBench, so makes sense that it kicked them on. Glad to hear that part is resolved.
I need to still find out more info about IOREG. I don't get the concept quite yet. I have it installed and I am trying to play around with it. Also how did that USB fix work? Did it make your speeds faster? Trying to figure out if I am getting my proper USB speeds.

I need to still find out more info about IOREG. I don't get the concept quite yet. I have it installed and I am trying to play around with it. Also how did that USB fix work? Did it make your speeds faster? Trying to figure out if I am getting my proper USB speeds.
The USB fix makes the proper USB ports injected. It also helps tell your system which ports are USB 3 vs USB 2. In our boards, all are 3. Mine is tuned for my board (by that I mean, I use some of the internal ports, not sure if you do). Proper USB injection is part of getting the system to sleep since it needs to know what ports are being used, which ones are internal, etc.

Clearly, I do not have the sleep fully worked out, but I am working on it.

As far as USB speeds, you can download XBench to test your USB Read/Write speeds for a flash drive: http://xbench.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back