Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 + 980Ti 6GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 11.03.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 11.03.51 PM.png
    338.3 KB · Views: 276
Just an update not to confuse future readers of the thread, the graphics problems andcrashing that lead me to the ud3 ultra were not a result of the gaming 7 board but of a riser cable from my thermaltake p5 case, after replacing everything from the memory to board and cpu and a hundref hours of head banging i got rid of the cable snd back to the origional gaming 7 board.. judt figured i should let you guys know. It wasnt constant but just intermittent, since removing everything has been flawless for over 2 weeks.. 1 thing to point out my sleep was workkng then stopped? I did get it corrected by going from darkwake=8 to just darkwake..well thanks again and good luck :)

Just an update not to confuse future readers of the thread, the graphics problems andcrashing that lead me to the ud3 ultra were not a result of the gaming 7 board but of a riser cable from my thermaltake p5 case, after replacing everything from the memory to board and cpu and a hundref hours of head banging i got rid of the cable snd back to the origional gaming 7 board.. judt figured i should let you guys know. It wasnt constant but just intermittent, since removing everything has been flawless for over 2 weeks.. 1 thing to point out my sleep was workkng then stopped? I did get it corrected by going from darkwake=8 to just darkwake..well thanks again and good luck :)

Hi @viccan, great to hear that you got your graphics & crashing issues figured out on the Gaming 7, coming from your Riser Cable for your P5 case.

I have a Corsair 450D Case, and I wonder if my "wake from sleep" crash issue (frozen display / keyboard / system after wake from sleep) can be similar (a cable). What do you think? Which cable should I look first into (Graphics card PCI-E?)?

I always have this error "51" on my motherboard (mem init error) & don't know how to get rid of it. Attached are some pictures of my system.20170206_203154.jpg20170206_203220.jpg20170206_203246.jpg20170206_203310.jpg
Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Hi @viccan, great to hear that you got your graphics & crashing issues figured out on the Gaming 7, coming from your Riser Cable for your P5 case.

I have a Corsair 450D Case, and I wonder if my "wake from sleep" crash issue (frozen display / keyboard / system after wake from sleep) can be similar (a cable). What do you think? Which cable should I look first into (Graphics card PCI-E?)?

I always have this error "51" on my motherboard (mem init error) & don't know how to get rid of it. Attached are some pictures of my system.View attachment 234944View attachment 234945View attachment 234946View attachment 234947
Thank you very much.

Nice build :). I am not sure if you seen the original pic of my build but the card set out not directly connected to my pic slot but on a plate that the riser cable went to... None the less the sleep issue sounds more like a missing kext or bad plist config ? I followed the guide here and added a few other things from other guides to get my system running proper, but I too still have a weird issue with some USB ports not waking after a long sleep? sadly I just reboot the system most times as the m2 drive gets me back up and running in under 8 seconds :( but the way I figured out that it was a hardware issue and not my os install was by installing windows and having a similar problem there... I wish I could be of more assistance but I am by no means a uber geek with mackintosh and even though I've been hacking for nearly 10 years I still just do trial and error testing and unfortunately reinstall 50 times to get a decent build up and running, God I wish I could edit these sdst files like some of these people.. If you figure it out out please message me I would love to get the sleep fix 100%

Nice build :). I am not sure if you seen the original pic of my build but the card set out not directly connected to my pic slot but on a plate that the riser cable went to... None the less the sleep issue sounds more like a missing kext or bad plist config ? I followed the guide here and added a few other things from other guides to get my system running proper, but I too still have a weird issue with some USB ports not waking after a long sleep? sadly I just reboot the system most times as the m2 drive gets me back up and running in under 8 seconds :( but the way I figured out that it was a hardware issue and not my os install was by installing windows and having a similar problem there... I wish I could be of more assistance but I am by no means a uber geek with mackintosh and even though I've been hacking for nearly 10 years I still just do trial and error testing and unfortunately reinstall 50 times to get a decent build up and running, God I wish I could edit these sdst files like some of these people.. If you figure it out out please message me I would love to get the sleep fix 100%

Thanks so much @viccan for your response & insights, much appreciated.
I'm a noob but read a ton of threads on this website, and learned so much. I will continue looking for what's wrong with my hack's sleep. I believe I have all the kexts, patches and good config plist & made sure my USB ports / IOreg & power mgmt were fine patching SSDTs, but who knows... I've pretty much given up on fixing my sleep/wake issues.
I'm doing the same thing these days as you, wrt wake/sleep issues, just reboot.
On the bright side, my system runs super fast, way faster than any iMac or macbook pro I could have bought. So I'm very happy with it as far as performance is concerned & I just never put my hack to sleep - just leave hack's display to turn off.
I will definitely keep you posted if I find a solution... not holding my breath though.

System Specifications:

OS X Version: Sierra 10.12.1
Processor: Intel Core i7-6700K SkyLake 4.0GHZ
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7
Graphics: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 980Ti 6GB
RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 2400MHz
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB
Optical Drive: LG WH16NS40 16x Blu-Ray Rewriter
WiFi Card: TP-Link TL-WDN4800
Power Supply: Corsair CX750M 750 Watt
Liquid Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H60
Multi-Media Reader: NZXT Aperture M 5.25 Bay
Bluetooth: IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter
Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-02 Redshift ATX Special Edition Gaming Case
Monitor: Samsung U28E590D 28" Ultra HD LED

BIOS SETTINGS:
a.) Optimized Defaults
b.) Super IO: Disabled
c.) XHCI Handoff: Enabled
d.) IOAPIC Entries: Disabled
e.) Wake on LAN: Disabled
f.) Storage Boot Option Control: UEFI Only

1.) You will need a 16GB Bootable USB loaded with Sierra - CLICK HERE FOR THE GUIDE

2.) Once you get to STEP 5: Post Installation with MultiBeast..... You will need to Choose your Drivers
a.) If this is a fresh installation, click Quick Start. UEFI Boot Mode is the best option.
b.) Drivers: Network: Atheros E2200Ethernet v2.2.0 & USB: Increase Max Port Limit & USB: 3rd Party USB 3.0
c.) Then go to BUILD and click INSTALL.

3.) Now we get the NVIDIA Graphics Driver. Follow the guide on how to enable NvidiaWeb - CLICK HERE FOR SIERRA DRIVER

4.) To mount your EFI partition, download "EFI Mounter v3". once you have the software, run it and put in necessary info until you see the folder EFI. Here is the Order: EFI -> CLOVER -> config.plist . You are more than welcome to replace your config.plist with mine I have provided. I would also recommend to use "clover configurator" to edit your config.plist. You can also use "TextEdit" which is already on your Mac. Here is the order. RightClick config.plist -> Open With -> Other... -> Scroll Down Until You See TextEdit.

NOT WORKING
1.) The audio does not work on my board. Have not received the correct kexts for audio. FIXED!!!!! Solution is posted by JMAC below.
2.) Sleep Mode is still messing up. FIXED!!!! went into my config.plist and changed my darkwake. #'s 0-4 did not work for me. # 8 worked flawlessly. darkwake=8 . I now have a full functioning sleep & auto sleep.

HOPE THIS HELPED AND I WILL BE UPDATING PERIODICALLY. CHEERS
Hi there

I have the same motherboard and nearly the same other hardware and I followed your installation but I cannot make my audio work. I have used Sierra 12.12.5. Furthermore I connected my monitor LG 27UD 58 with the DisplayPort cable I hope this is not the problem.

Update I have my audio work, my only problem is to get my Thunderbolt working. I have tried the procedure with windows and in Windows I see my thunderbolt drives. Now it is working and I use it with Apple cable from Thunderbolt3 to Thunderbolt 2 and I use a 5 bay array from Oyen Digital.
I will add some screenshots from my bios settings.

Thanks for all the help and hope I also can contribute to this good work.

Do you need more information from me to help let me know.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2017-06-26 om 13.28.21 2.png
    Schermafbeelding 2017-06-26 om 13.28.21 2.png
    695.6 KB · Views: 156
  • GA Z170X Gaming Bios Settings.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 105
Last edited:
I have this motherboard and am working on the install and making sure it all works. Major time consumer! But I have Thunderbolt working on this. Hotplugging works as well. I disable security and left everything else default settings.

I started on F8 uefi but updated to most recent f22, which seems slower to respond.

MY Thunderbolt interface is a FW400 based Audio interface ( Yamaha / Steinberg MR816 ) So I use 2 adapters, TB3 to TB2, then TB2 to FW800 and finally a FW800 to FW400 Cable....so its a mess! But works great!

Update: not 10 minutes after posting this I came across this post: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/display-issues-with-980ti-card-on-sierra.217543/ and found out that when running Multibeast, you have to select the boot loader with the NVRAM emulation. Might be useful to mention in the OP. So glad it's working now :) Thanks for all your effort.

I upgraded from a working config in El Capitan with a Radeon 290X to Sierra with a 980Ti (because the 290X was no longer supported in Sierra), but I can't get the graphics card to work properly. I have the Gigabyte z170x with the F21 bios, a Core i7 6700K and a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB. So today I decided to just go with a clean install and follow the instructions in the OP, but still no go. At login I get a grey background instead of the desktop picture and everything after that is slow and artifacty.

I have two Dell P2715Q monitors hooked up through DisplayPort on the GeForce. It doesn't matter if I plug in one, or the other, or both. I've tried with onboard graphics enabled, disabled and auto in the BIOS. In either case I only get a picture on one monitor and not in its native resolution (I can not select any other). I've tried with the config.plist from the OP. I installed the Nvidia Web Drivers, and they're enabled in Clover. If I look at the Nvidia menu it always shows the OS X drivers as being selected instead of the Nvidia ones.

If anyone has any other ideas, I'll gladly hear them as I'm at my wits end. Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back