Contribute
Register

[Success] GA-Z97M-D3H, Core i7 4790K, EVGA Geforce GTX 970 2.0 SC, Yosemite Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear KonigLudwig,

I took a shot and installed the CUDA drivers. It seems to be working at a more stable pace. However, it could be that the drivers are just "breaking in" (for lack of a better scientific explanation). Before it would freeze consistently when I was setting up the machine, when I was playing music, downloading a video, or turning on the wifi. It doesn't freeze in these situations anymore.

- It also seems that if I go slow enough - with my mouse and I don't go click happy - it does not freeze.

Just a note. I use the display port with no adapters (2560x1440 monitor) and it works great.

I am on 10.10.1 - Have been ever since I got the card. Same issues of freezing occur on the new Nvidia update.

I really hope apple releases some native drivers - If they do, it always comes in via a major software update - mostly under the radar. - If some new iMacs or MBP get a card from the 900 series we will get native support.
Right?

Thanks.

Hey Surfguy,

Glad to hear you got everything worked out. It's always a great rush when you finally iron out all the issues. I think the best quote I saw on here was "It's not an exact science" and it's definitely true. What works for one, won't necessarily work for another. That being said, looks like your motherboard is a bit different from mine, but I'm curious... did you get the Displayport to work on your 970?

Mine doesn't seem to, but I haven't extensively messed with it yet. I actually just discovered that it doesn't work on the mac OR windows side. I'm hoping it's just the displayport to HDMI connector, haven't had time to get a new one with all the holiday stuff going on.

Thanks
-KL

Hey Bill,

I would think that eventually apple will release some new updates that will help with stability. I didn't realize just how fresh off the production line these Nvidia cards were before I bought it.

I actually did a couple rebuilds of the OS on Stork's suggestion, trying out the DSDT Free. Turns out the EasyBeast was the better way to go, but even better is that since I re-did the build, my system has been more stable than ever. No freezing to speak of.

I'm not sure if your system exactly matches mine, but if you're feeling up to it try a re-install from the ground up. Here's my process the 2nd time through.

-Enter installer through USB UniBeast (Flags: -x -v )

-Format OS drive and install.
Note: Not sure if this helped with the freezing, but I'm using a SSD and also, this time around I put 2 partitions on it to make room for my Windows install. I wonder if the smaller partition could have attributed to less freezing? Maybe try installing on a smaller partition.

-Enter newly installed OS through USB Unibeast (Flags: -x -v )

-Install EasyBeast;
settings:
EasyBeastBuild.png
NOTE: I deselected some stuff from EasyBeast, so see that it matches.

-Reboot, Change Bios settings to boot 1st from OS Hard Drive and change Display output from Internal GFX to PCI (PCI Slot 1 in my case)

-Enter newly installed OS w/EasyBeast through Chimera. (Flags: -v nv_disable=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes) If this doesn't work, add safe mode '-x'

-Install Nvdia Web Drivers. Reboot.

-Enter newly installed OS w/EasyBeast through Chimera. (Flags: -v nvda_drv=1) If this doesn't work, add safe mode '-x'. Also, you should add nvda_drv=1 to the chameleon.Boot.plist later.

-Install Mac update 10.10.1 (at the time of this writing) Change Nvdia drivers to Web drivers if they're not already active. Reboot.

-Enter newly installed OS w/EasyBeast through Chimera. (Flags: nvda_drv=1) if needed.

OK, from here you should be in a pretty good place. At this point, with the Web Drivers active, Nvdia will eventually prompt you to update the drivers. Mine updated to version 343.01.02f01 at the time. I see now that it just prompted me again to update to 343.01.02f03 so I'm gonna give it a shot. If it doesn't prompt, you should be able to find a 'check for update' button in the Nvdia system preferences. That'll do it. From there, hopefully it's smooth sailing. Good luck!

-KL

Edit: Forgot to mention a few things.

1. Still haven't installed CUDA myself, but seeing more stability.
  2. Sometimes I had to reboot twice to get the Nvdia Web drivers to 'kick in', so to speak.
  3. Didn't forget, but thought I'd mention... Just installed the newest Nvidia drivers without any issues! Displayport still doesn't work, but I'm starting to think it's the converter I have, might be bunk.

This thread helped me get my box up and running. Thanks for the wealth of knowledge you are willing to share with the rest of us. Still tweaking to get it perfect but it's running smoothly.

Mobo: Gigabyte Z97N-wifi
CPU: Core i5 4690K
Graphics: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
Case: Bitfenix Prodigy

system.png displays.png

Dear KonigLudwig,

I did a clean install last week using your guide... A clean install seemed to help a bunch! Very little freezing - once since last week!

It just so happens I accidentally installed (yes I was being addled-minded) the clover boot loader (very bad idea while on chimera) and it destroyed all stability. It was a freeze party afterward. That's what prompted me to do a clean install following these instructions.

ANYBODY WHO WANTS A 970 IN THEIR MAC FOLLOW KONIGLUGWIG'S GUIDE ABOVE. WORKED PERFECT TO KEEP IT NICE AND STABLE.

ANOTHER RECOMMENDATION: Ever since this awesome stability, I have been doing regular backups with time machine. Yes, it is common sense but it is very important and to restore it is not too hard. Go through a clean install as if you didn't have a backup and during setup just select transfer data from Mac.
Also be sure to log ON PAPER when the last backup was when the hackintosh was running great.

Hello, i have a problem with the dual boot, i have the same configuration of KonigLudwig (actually my graphics card is not EVGA but Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 GAMING - 4 Go)

Before to install Mac OSX Yosemite, i have create 2 partition like this tutorial:

[video=youtube;VSYkUkngdb4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSYkUkngdb4[/video]

1/ I have create 2 Partition (GUID Partition Table)
First Partition is for my Hackintosh (Format: MAC OS Extented (Journaled)) 354Go
Second Partition is for my Windows 7 (Format MS-DOS (FAT)) 150Go

2/ I install my First Partition like KonigLudwig everythink work fine !!!!
3/ I install my Second Partition for Windows 7 everythink work fine !!!

BUT when i boot my computer, everytime my system boot on Windows. I don't understand because with the tutorial of KonigLudwig i have install the bootloader Chimera so when i start my computer normally the Chimera bootloader will be launch no???

I have try to install on Multibeaste
Quick Start > DSDT Free

But same problem, perhaps i need to active somethink on my BIOS but i don't know what :/

Thanks a lot if you help me

PS: Sorry for my bad english :/

I'm very interested in your guide - i have the same hardware, have a running system with a few sleep related problems: Ethernet gone after sleep or restart, sound gone after sleep, often even crashes at wake so i have to reset... do you have any of those? If no - i think it's worth a try to reinstall...

THIS IS AWESOME

Everything runned fine.

upgraded from Mav to Yos

really cool

I thank you very much for your guide

I had the GTX970 connected and installed with it.
Everytime i boot the installer or the system i had all bootflags:
-v -x nv_disable=1 GraphicsEnabler=no

so i hadn´t to remove the real huge G1
After the newest Nvidia webdrivers, everything ran fine.
Even all my apps and data and W7 Dualboot was still there

Thank you
bye

Hi! Having troubles with my TP-LINK TL-WN951N wireless card. When i boot up the system no wireless card is found even if i go into settings and click the + it only finds ethernet could you help me please? http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/124605-tp-link-tl-wn951n-mavericks.html this link didnt seem to work for me, im on yosemite 10.10.1

Hey Bill,

I would think that eventually apple will release some new updates that will help with stability. I didn't realize just how fresh off the production line these Nvidia cards were before I bought it.

I actually did a couple rebuilds of the OS on Stork's suggestion, trying out the DSDT Free. Turns out the EasyBeast was the better way to go, but even better is that since I re-did the build, my system has been more stable than ever. No freezing to speak of.

I'm not sure if your system exactly matches mine, but if you're feeling up to it try a re-install from the ground up. Here's my process the 2nd time through.

-Enter installer through USB UniBeast (Flags: -x -v )

-Format OS drive and install.
Note: Not sure if this helped with the freezing, but I'm using a SSD and also, this time around I put 2 partitions on it to make room for my Windows install. I wonder if the smaller partition could have attributed to less freezing? Maybe try installing on a smaller partition.

-Enter newly installed OS through USB Unibeast (Flags: -x -v )

-Install EasyBeast;
settings:
View attachment 118580
NOTE: I deselected some stuff from EasyBeast, so see that it matches.

-Reboot, Change Bios settings to boot 1st from OS Hard Drive and change Display output from Internal GFX to PCI (PCI Slot 1 in my case)

-Enter newly installed OS w/EasyBeast through Chimera. (Flags: -v nv_disable=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes) If this doesn't work, add safe mode '-x'

-Install Nvdia Web Drivers. Reboot.

-Enter newly installed OS w/EasyBeast through Chimera. (Flags: -v nvda_drv=1) If this doesn't work, add safe mode '-x'. Also, you should add nvda_drv=1 to the chameleon.Boot.plist later.

-Install Mac update 10.10.1 (at the time of this writing) Change Nvdia drivers to Web drivers if they're not already active. Reboot.

-Enter newly installed OS w/EasyBeast through Chimera. (Flags: nvda_drv=1) if needed.

OK, from here you should be in a pretty good place. At this point, with the Web Drivers active, Nvdia will eventually prompt you to update the drivers. Mine updated to version 343.01.02f01 at the time. I see now that it just prompted me again to update to 343.01.02f03 so I'm gonna give it a shot. If it doesn't prompt, you should be able to find a 'check for update' button in the Nvdia system preferences. That'll do it. From there, hopefully it's smooth sailing. Good luck!

-KL

Edit: Forgot to mention a few things.

1. Still haven't installed CUDA myself, but seeing more stability.
  2. Sometimes I had to reboot twice to get the Nvdia Web drivers to 'kick in', so to speak.
  3. Didn't forget, but thought I'd mention... Just installed the newest Nvidia drivers without any issues! Displayport still doesn't work, but I'm starting to think it's the converter I have, might be bunk.

I have a EVGA GTX 970 installed with DSDT Free which seems to work also
but what I can't figure out is that I have to use the boot flag -f everytime I boot, otherwise it stops at the "Missing Bluetooth transport!" message which is known to be in fact a graphic issue (it's just the last words before the gui should start)

the -f flag has to do with the kext cache as i found out but I can't get rid of it (and shouldn't be needed)

tried to rebuild permissions and cache but didn't work

any ideas ?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back