Contribute
Register

[Success] GA-Z97M-D3H, Core i7 4790K, EVGA Geforce GTX 970 2.0 SC, Yosemite Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to tonymac forums. I need help, I have read every forum about a gtx 970 in a hackintosh on tonymac and ****** but cannot get it to work. I've had my Hackintosh for almost a month now. I was able to get it up and running. Just got my gtx 970 today and cannot get it to work on OS X. I tested it on windows and the card works.

At first I tried to boot up with no flags as normally knowing it wouldn't work and froze up at the apple boot loader thingy.
Then I did what I read on forums to use nv_disable=1 and I was able to boot up with laggy graphics. Tried getting web drivers for the gtx 970 from links. I got the one for OS X 10.10 then 10.10.1 and they both wouldn't install because the operating system wasn't compatible. Of course I need the drivers for 10.10.2

Somehow, I find 10.10.2 drivers try to install them it won't work. I read somewhere on here to install the updates from apple in the AppStore. I do that and try to install the Nvidia drivers and it works. Then prompts me for a restart. I restart and the only way I can boot now is using nv_disable=1 and -x it takes a really long time but I can boot up.
Still with laggy graphics. If I goto about this Mac it says my gpu is: 7MB
If I click the thing where it shows you the list of everything like (Memory, raid etc.) and I try to goto graphics/display it says Nvidia and it has 7MB of VRAM.

When others get to this point they have the option where there's a Nvidia logo and they can install the Nvidia drivers again and restart then they don't need any boot flags... Not me.

So what should I do? I would appreciate any advice. I have 2 SSDs one has OS X on it and all I need is to get this graphics card to work. However if I already messed up or something I have the second SSD that I can do a fresh build on.

UPDATE: I guess I was tired last night and forgot something im not sure. But in summary to get my gtx 970 to work heres all the steps that worked:

1. Install the card to motherboard.
2. Plug the HDMI into the GTX 970.
3. Turn on computer go to bios and disable Intel graphics and set display output to pcie. Save and exit
4. Boot into OS X using these flags -x nv_disable=1
5. Make sure you have OS X 10.10.2 and the security updates installed otherwise next step won't work.
6. Download latest nvidia drivers for OS X 10.10.2
7. Install the package and it will prompt you to restart.
8. (Optional) I had to do this. My first build I used DTSD Free but next step didn't work unless I changed the multibeast to easy free. Then make sure you recheck all your audio and network drivers. (Make sure your old setup is saved and save the new easy free one.) I would only do this if next step doesn't work for you because experienced hackers say DTSD free is better. I would use it again but I can't get my card to run stable with it as of this new update.
9. After the restart from installing the web drivers boot with nvda_drv=1 and that's it. If you are able to boot up goto system preferences and goto nvidia driver panel thing in the bottom row. If it loads up all you have to do is switch from OS X drivers to nvidia drivers and restart.
10. You should not need any boot flags. Right now im back to running fine with my gtx 970 installed. Audio works only goes out sometimes if the computer hibernates. But I'm running audio through my motherboards line out. Also imessage doesn't work but that's normal.

Im so happy I was able to get my dream machine running next issues to tackle are getting my windows 8 on my laptop hard drive transfered to my other ssd. If that's not possible then I'll just buy windows 7 pro and install it. In the future I also want to get the zoom TAC-2 a thunderbolt audio interface and see if my thunderbolt ports work. And a new monitor with display port to see if all my ports are working.

Last edited:
Thanks for updating on the audio, I was going crazy with my GA-Z97-D3H and GTX 750. My line out ended up being the black (rear) channel. Never even thought to check the others :thumbup:

Hey!

Glad to see people are still getting some use out of this thread. Just wanted to pop in a let you know that I torpedoed my system with the 10.10.5 update. So watch it when you update!

-KL

Any luck with the Zoom TAC-2 TH audio interface?

I just build a CustoMac Pro as of Nov 2015 spec (Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK ATX) and the sound card doesn't show any sign of activity when plugged in.

Thanks all for your help! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back