1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I followed this guide and used a slightly modified version of the OpenCore folder, which I forked here to install Monterey on my Dell XPS 15 9550 with Intel WiFi.

Working:
  • Integrated GPU (Intel 530)
  • Audio
  • Intel WiFi (use this repository if you have the stock Broadcom WiFi card)
  • USB
  • Touchscreen Display (4k)

Not Working:
  • Discrete GPU (Nvidia 960M)
  • SD Card Reader
  • Thunderbolt 3

I am dual booting alongside Manjaro Linux, with Manjaro and OpenCore on a 1TB NVMe SSD and macOS on a 240GB Kingston SSD.

I had previously installed Catalina on this laptop but it had several problems which caused it to crash/reboot. This is not the case with Monterey however, and I am yet to experience a crash at all. The only issues are that occasionally on startup there are kext loading issues which cause either failure to boot or the touchpad not to work, although this is quite rare and seemingly is more frequent when rebooting from Manjaro.

I opted to dual boot macOS and Linux as Windows drivers seemed to be quite poor for this laptop, causing its performance to suffer quite severely. While Linux and macOS drivers for this laptop are not perfect, the laptop feels much nicer to use this way.

Attachments

• Specs2_censored.png
    Specs2_censored.png
    14.1 MB · Views: 432
Last edited:
Any chance of an EFI to save headaches? I have the same! Thx
Sorry for the late reply.

To be honest I've tried a couple of times to mount my EFI partition with macOS loaded and so far I couldn't, probably because the EFI partition is on the NVMe drive. I could possibly mess around and try to do it with linux and get it to you if you really wanted but I'm not sure that I'd be allowed to post a full EFI folder on here anyway due to issues relating to the serial number, and if I blanked out the serial number then the process would still involve messing around just as much as using the EFI provided in the GitHub link.

If you do still want the EFI folder despite me replying this late then let me know and I'll get it from Linux and find a way to get it to you, perhaps using external cloud hosting not on tonymac.

Sorry for the late reply.

To be honest I've tried a couple of times to mount my EFI partition with macOS loaded and so far I couldn't, probably because the EFI partition is on the NVMe drive. I could possibly mess around and try to do it with linux and get it to you if you really wanted but I'm not sure that I'd be allowed to post a full EFI folder on here anyway due to issues relating to the serial number, and if I blanked out the serial number then the process would still involve messing around just as much as using the EFI provided in the GitHub link.

If you do still want the EFI folder despite me replying this late then let me know and I'll get it from Linux and find a way to get it to you, perhaps using external cloud hosting not on tonymac.
No problemo! On this website people are allowed to upload EFIs. There are plenty of threads with them. I am well-versed in configs, so you could just put some xxxx in the UUID / ROM / MB / Serialnr. - in your copied EFI/config.plist of course. A great tool to open your EFI if you don't know it, is mountEFI.command in MacOS which you can get on github. It may work in Linux, too. Just click on said file in the folder and follow instructions in terminal. V. easy. Normally NVMe shouldn't be any different. Many thanks.

Got it - many thanks!! Now to try to figure out if need to change anything for the FHD version of the laptop which I have... If you have any pointers that would be great. But I will try it out first.

Got it - many thanks!! Now to try to figure out if need to change anything for the FHD version of the laptop which I have... If you have any pointers that would be great. But I will try it out first.
No worries! Hope it works out well for you.

Regarding the full HD screen, I found the section in the guide about that, it says:
"If you have the FHD (1080p) version of the Notebook, set the UIScale to AQ== (1) in the OC config.plist file."

So I'm guessing the only difference for the 1080p version is the UI scale of OC itself.

Good luck!

No worries! Hope it works out well for you.

Regarding the full HD screen, I found the section in the guide about that, it says:
"If you have the FHD (1080p) version of the Notebook, set the UIScale to AQ== (1) in the OC config.plist file."

So I'm guessing the only difference for the 1080p version is the UI scale of OC itself.

Good luck!
Hello,

I have been using your setup and got my xps 15 9550 FHD to run on macOS 12.3.1. However, I have run into the issue with the Bluetooth controller. The Bluetooth I have is the intel AX200 chip and I cannot for the life of me get it to work. I have tried messing around with updating kekts, especially the airport ones. However, when I do this my next boot screen is stuck on the apple logo with unsuccessful boots. Do you have any ideas I could possibly try?

Sincerely,
Andrew

Hello,

I have been using your setup and got my xps 15 9550 FHD to run on macOS 12.3.1. However, I have run into the issue with the Bluetooth controller. The Bluetooth I have is the intel AX200 chip and I cannot for the life of me get it to work. I have tried messing around with updating kekts, especially the airport ones. However, when I do this my next boot screen is stuck on the apple logo with unsuccessful boots. Do you have any ideas I could possibly try?

Sincerely,
Andrew
zip and upload your EFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back