Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Colonel Jack Flack's CustoMac (Aorus UG, i8600k, GeForce 1060)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Aorus z370 Ultra Gaming
CPU
i5-8600K
Graphics
RX580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Colonel Jack Flack's CustoMac:
i5 8600k | Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming | EVGA GeForce 1060

Photos to come!
Components

Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming LGA 1151 ATX Intel Motherboard
Newegg | Amazon

Intel Core i5 8600k (Coffee Lake)
Newegg | Amazon

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400 PC4-19200 CL16
Newegg | Amazon

TP-LINK Archer T9E AC1900 Wireless Dual Band PCI-Express Adapter
Newegg | Amazon

EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Single Fan
Newegg | Amazon

SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive
Newegg | Amazon

Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
Newegg | Amazon

Corsair CX Series 650 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Modular Power Supply
Newegg | Amazon

Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-02 Redshift Special Edition ATX
Amazon

Already owned
x2 Lenovo monitors
Logitech M510 Mouse

Comments

So, it was time for an upgrade. I have a 1st gen intel MacPro that still has life. It runs, but I had long retired it as my everyday machine. It was relegated mostly to ripping and sorting through semi-corrupted old digital photos that were lost in a unfortunate HD crash. I had moved to a 2016 MacBook Pro 13" and was my everyday driver for work and pleasure. Though it is passable for work, it definitely left more to desire. I couldn't justify paying the premium for a VESA mount iMac since I already had 2 monitors setup that I would dock my MBP to, let alone ruining my already at premium desk space for a full iMac. After a few years of hounding from my brother, I decided to jump head first into building my own. I was used to the process of unlocking bootloaders, custom software etc. on my Android phones since I never had an iPhone, I figured I should try it and save a few bucks.

Installation Notes

This being my first time, it took me a few times to get it right. However, it was stable after the very first install, but I had no acceleration from my video card or audio from the motherboard. Notes on what I did and where things stand today;

Motherboard BIOS updated to F8
Installed using UniBeast with latest High Sierra build 17E199 (Current instruction worked like a charm in creating the USB UniBeast boot disk)
MultiBeast settings:
  • Profile: iMac 14,2
  • Audio: VoodooHDA v2.9 - This works for now, though not sure of its longevity (Right now I'm too newb to get the Realtek ALC to work native and I need to study this post a little more)
  • Graphics: I did not inject anything in the end after trying it a few different ways. What ended up working was no Multibeast injection and solution to problem 6 from this post)

I've been up and running for a few days now, used it for work and things to be pretty good so far. Will keep the forum posted if anyone is interested. Also, I probably left some things out, so let me know and I'll post.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-04-23 21.09.39.png
    Screenshot 2018-04-23 21.09.39.png
    100.1 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Sounds like you have a very capable machine there :thumbup:

Realtek audio should be easy enough, the drivers are in MultiBeast . The only tricky part is choosing the correct Audio ID. This is basically the port layout as I understand it. Perhaps use Clover Configurator to experiment with each ID if you get no sound to start with. Settings are usually 1, 2 or 3. Also remember the HDEF rename patch.

:)

can you share your EFI folder?thanks

a zip of it
Here is is ZIP, curious how this is helpful. Also, let me know if I should update my build notes at the top based on what you see in the EFI folder that would be helpful to others.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    16.7 MB · Views: 188
Here is is ZIP, curious how this is helpful. Also, let me know if I should update my build notes at the top based on what you see in the EFI folder that would be helpful to others.

thansk very much for your share

Thanks for your share!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back