Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> [Success] Catalina 10.15.1 Asus ROG Strix Z390E-Gaming, i9 9900K and RX 5700XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
@nch107
Oh, I just now had a terrible freezing issue, and even after the restart, it was not helping at all, so I jumped from DP to HDMI, and it stopped freezing.
I removed whatevergreen.kext as well let's see how it's going to work.

@nch107
Oh, I just now had a terrible freezing issue, and even after the restart, it was not helping at all, so I jumped from DP to HDMI, and it stopped freezing.
I removed whatevergreen.kext as well let's see how it's going to work.
Thanks, good to know. Any freeze now ?

Thanks, good to know. Any freeze now ?
Still testing this, have not noticed any freezes, for now, need some more time. By the way, I updated to beta 4, works ok

Just updated to Catalina 10.15.2 and the freezes are gone ! Put to sleep, open Chrome, Slack...everything seems to be good ! Will test more and let you know if any issues.

Not really, I'm using Chrome right now with no issues at all. My RX 5700 is the XT variant, not sure if it makes any difference. In case this issue persists, the 10.15.2 must be in the next couple weeks and it will improve compatibility and stability with the RX series.
I have the same processor and graphics card installed on Asus Z390-I Rog Strix using @ buda_sk8 EFI, system boots fine and works for about a few minutes and then freezes with a weird sound coming from my monitor's speaker (Benq PD2700U). Today I updated to Catalina 10.15.2 hoping to see the freezes go away but still no hope in sight. I have now hooked to my IGPU and just hoping someone will share a success story about the the RX5700Xt stability.

I have the same processor and graphics card installed on Asus Z390-I Rog Strix using @ buda_sk8 EFI, system boots fine and works for about a few minutes and then freezes with a weird sound coming from my monitor's speaker (Benq PD2700U). Today I updated to Catalina 10.15.2 hoping to see the freezes go away but still no hope in sight. I have now hooked to my IGPU and just hoping someone will share a success story about the the RX5700Xt stability.
i have the same build as you do, but i'm currently stuck at the installation steps, i treid your efi files but it didn't work, are there some specific things that i have to take care? :`(

Just updated to Catalina 10.15.2 and the freezes are gone ! Put to sleep, open Chrome, Slack...everything seems to be good ! Will test more and let you know if any issues.
the same here mate and looks like this update fixed everything

i have the same build as you do, but i'm currently stuck at the installation steps, i treid your efi files but it didn't work, are there some specific things that i have to take care? :`(
Well, I couldn't get to install OS with the Rx5700xt plugged in and with that EFI, instead I used the IGPU and installation went smoothly without any issues. I then replaced the EFI with the one shared here, shut down my rig, unplugged power, hooked the rx5700xt back, rebooted PC and boom! The system behaved normally for an hour or two, thereafter it was chaos. Freezes, weird sounds and auto shutdowns! Tried switching to HDMI, updated to 10.15.2, all that didn't help. I am back to my IGPU now as I keep searching for fixes.

Is it still holding on? Just curious.

@PeteZimbi
I shared my EFI here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/catalina-10-15-2-beta-i9900k-rx-5700-xt.287396/post-2044185

Try it, but bear in mind to change the SN (and other details) to your needs and remove DSDT (acpi/patched) and USBPorts.kext (kexts/other)

Also, if you are not using any kind of broadcom cards then remove these kexts as well:
BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext
BrcmFirmwareData.kext
BrcmPatchRAM3.kext
FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext
FakePCIID.kext

and IntelMausiEthernet.kext with AppleALC.kext if our network/sound cards are not the same

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back