Contribute
Register

[Success] b1's "Mac Mini Killer" with macOS Mojave: i7-8700 | Gigabyte Z370N | RX560 | 16GB RAM

A lot of peeps have realised that Sonoma is not all that! :) and have gone back to Ventura/Monterey :)

I have 3 hard drives in this hackintosh
in one I have os x mojave that I still use for eyetv3, eyetv4 does not work well in ventura, the remote control or the epg guide does not work.
on another disk I have os x ventura as main system disk
and in another I have sonoma which is the test disk

A lot of peeps have realised that Sonoma is not all that! :) and have gone back to Ventura/Monterey :)

The only thing tempting me to Sonoma might be full 4:4:4: 4k/120hz support with an RX 6600 XT via HDMI 2.1 to HDMI 2.1 with my LG C3 OLED TV

Do you guys know if I can get that with Monterey or Ventura on a 6000 series GPU?

The only thing tempting me to Sonoma might be full 4:4:4: 4k/120hz support with an RX 6600 XT via HDMI 2.1 to HDMI 2.1 with my LG C3 OLED TV

Do you guys know if I can get that with Monterey or Ventura on a 6000 series GPU?
try it, should work

try it, should work

Waiting on the card to arrive (still on RX580 at moment)

Update: Used OCAT to do an update to 0.9.9 on my USB stick (for OC testing)
Normally I've always done OC updates manually, but OCAT was suggested and it worked wonderfully

I'm still booting off the USB for now just to test it for a while

Re: 4:4:4 and 4k @ 120hz testing, I think I'll use an extra NVMe stick I have (256gb) and use that to test out Ventura and Sonoma (if necessary) to see any differences in functionality/usability with trying to get it working.

I really hope I can stay on Monterey and get high hz @ 4k

Last edited:
Used OCAT to do an update to 0.9.9 on my USB stick (for OC testing)
Normally I've always done OC updates manually, but OCAT was suggested and it worked wonderfully
OCAT app is a great timesaver. Really like it.

OCAT app is a great timesaver. Really like it.

Normally I'd have stayed away from these types of tools, but I was impressed with how well (and quickly) it worked.

Seems like some real thought went into it.

Normally I'd have stayed away from these types of tools, but I was impressed with how well (and quickly) it worked.

Seems like some real thought went into it.
it does a much better job than previous clover configurator did! :)

I'm trying to use this build (which I have nearly exactly) to install Ventura and/or Sonoma on a test NVMe

Had some weird issues so I'm resetting BIOS from scratch and all the guides for this Motherboard say to have Above 4G Decoding enabled -- any idea why it's not working for me?

I can't get the installers to boot with Above 4G Decoding enabled - the Apple logo page progress bar freezes just a tiny bit in

Big breakthrough folks!

Just did a clean install of Ventura 13.6.6 and with HDMI 2.1 out of my RX 6600 XT...

I'm getting 4k/120hz (YCBCR420 8Bit only though)!!!

But - for my needs, 8bit is fine and looks AMAZING on this OLED

I'm in hog heaven here .. I'm going to have to leave Monterey behind (sadly), but I'm thrilled this is working in Ventura as I'd prefer to not wade into the waters of "non native WiFi/BT" on my machine

I'm not sure if I'm going to upgrade my Monterey install (not sure how actually) ... or if I should just do a clean install and migrate data from my Time Machine SSD

Any tips on that part?

Attachments

• Info.png
    Info.png
    299.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 1.03.40 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 1.03.40 PM.png
    134.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 1.03.19 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 1.03.19 PM.png
    199.6 KB · Views: 5
I'm not sure if I'm going to upgrade my Monterey install (not sure how actually) ... or if I should just do a clean install and migrate data from my Time Machine SSD

Any tips on that part?
I download the full version and install it on my system disk and it keeps all my data.

Back